Re: [evonline2002_webheads] Skype-Pal Project Looking For "Sister University Class"

  • William Collins
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 30, 2008
      Hi Aiden,

      Wow, your class looks very interesting. I checked out your online syllabus, and it looks like you're a couple of steps ahead of me on a path similar to the one I've started down vis-a-vis using computer technology to make English exciting. Your "creating a photostory" sounds at first glance like something I've been thinking of doing using "Windows Moviemaker" to have students weave together self-introduction videos incorporating personal photos, internet photos and voice narration. Is your photostory idea like that?

      I have six different sections of "English Communication I" I teach. None of them are in the Thursday morning time-frame you teach, but I noticed you mentioned "asynchronous discussions" . I'm not sure I'm understanding that right, but does that mean having, for example, your students record video messages and then my students viewing them and recording responses? Setting up some kind of correspondence like that might be a good way to handle the time difference as well as a manageable first step for me as far as taking on all the logistical challenges. It might also be less stressful for my students who, I suspect, may be less proficient than yours. I say that only because I've had students from Taiwan, China, South Korea and other Asian countries join my class and they are usually more fluent than my students typically are, although I don't want to overgeneralize.

      If you would be interested in trying to have our students exchange video-greetings/ self-introductio ns this semester or even at some future time, it might be quite an interesting activity. It could be a one-time exchange or, if the first one goes well, a back-and-forth "asynchronous video conversation" . May I ask, how many students do you have in that class? I have quite large classes, typically between 35 and 50 students, so I fear that might be one problem.

      Anyway, thanks for your reply, and it would be neat if we could get something like this going either in the near term or in the future.

      Best,

      William Collins

      From: William Collins <alexhateszeke@ yahoo.com>
      To: evonline2002_ webheads@ yahoogroups. com
      Cc: alexhateszeke@ yahoo.com
      Date: Thursday, September 25, 2008, 2:25 PM

      I teach English to University Freshmen at Nagasaki University. I'm interested in setting up a
      "Skype-Pal" program at my university. We have a computer room with web cameras, and I'm trying to figure out how I can contact an ESL/EFL teacher in a comparable setting in another country so that my students could do video chat via Skype with that teacher's students. Any idea if such a program exists and how I can get such a program going with
      another teacher? If anyone is interested in pairing their students with mine, please get in touch!

    • Elizabeth Hanson-Smith
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 1, 2008
        Aiden and William--
        Be sure to have your students blog/vlog their conversations so that
        the rest of us can refer to them! This looks like a great project.
        Anyone interested in video is welcome to use the archives from the
        last several EVO Video sessions at
        <http://evovideo.wikispaces.com>
        I do have examples of student projects there as well as lists of video
        tools (with brief descriptions), vlogs, resources, materials, etc.,
        that can be used wholly online or off.
        Cheers--
        --Elizabeth

        --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, William Collins
        <alexhateszeke@...> wrote:

        > Hi Aiden,
        >
        > Wow, your class looks very interesting. I checked out your online
        syllabus, and it looks like you're a couple of steps ahead of me on a
        path similar to the one I've started down vis-a-vis using computer
        technology to make English exciting. Your "creating a photostory"
        sounds at first glance like something I've been thinking of doing
        using "Windows Moviemaker" to have students weave together
        self-introduction videos incorporating personal photos, internet
        photos and voice narration. Is your photostory idea like that?

        > I have six different sections of "English Communication I" I teach.
        None of them are in the Thursday morning time-frame you teach, but I
        noticed you mentioned "asynchronous discussions" . I'm not sure I'm
        understanding that right, but does that mean having, for example, your
        students record video messages and then my students viewing them and
        recording responses? Setting up some kind of correspondence like that
        might be a good way to handle the time difference as well as a
        manageable first step for me as far as taking on all the logistical
        challenges. It might also be less stressful for my students who, I
        suspect, may be less proficient than yours. I say that only because
        I've had students from Taiwan, China, South Korea and other Asian
        countries join my class and they are usually more fluent than my
        students typically are, although I don't want to overgeneralize.

        > If you would be interested in trying to have our students exchange
        video-greetings/ self-introductio ns this semester or even at some
        future time, it might be quite an interesting activity. It could be a
        one-time exchange or, if the first one goes well, a back-and-forth
        "asynchronous video conversation" . May I ask, how many students do
        you have in that class? I have quite large classes, typically between
        35 and 50 students, so I fear that might be one problem.

        > Anyway, thanks for your reply, and it would be neat if we could get
        something like this going either in the near term or in the future.

        > Best,
        >
        > William Collins

        • Barbara Dieu
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 2, 2008
            > If you would be interested in trying to have our students exchange video-greetings/self-introductions this semester or even at some future time, it might be quite an interesting activity. It could be a one-time exchange or, if the first one goes well, a back-and-forth "asynchronous video conversation". May I ask, how many students do you have in that class? I have quite large classes, typically between 35 and 50 students, so I fear that might be one problem.

            Some excellent tools for this kind of exchange are Flowgram, Voice
            Thread and Seesmic as they provide for asynchronous multimedia
            conversation.
            Warm regards,
            Bee

            --
            Barbara Dieu
            http://dekita.org
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 3, 2008
              Thanks for the tip. I'll have to check those out. The tough part for me right now is just finding a teacher to collaborat with on this "Skype-pal" project. I guess I have to be patient and keep sending queries to "Webheads". Someone's bound to be out there...