A Cross Cultural E-mail Exchange Project; Project Ibunka 2008 Call for Partner Classes

  • Masahito Watanabe
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 26, 2008
      A Cross Cultural E-mail Exchange Project; Project Ibunka 2008 Call for
      Partner Classes

      I'm Masahito Watanabe, Wata, at Yokoham National University, Japan. I'm going to
      organize a new cross-cultural e-mail exchange project, Ibunka 2008, this
      year. "Ibunka" means "different cultures" in Japanese. This is a
      web-based bulletin board discussion in English among partner students
      from various countries. Since 2000, more than 1,600 students from
      different countries have participated in the project. Last year, about
      459 students from South Korea, Taiwan, Burkina Faso (West Africa),
      Argentina, Indonesia, USA, Namibia, and Japan participated in it and
      posted about 2,700 messages on the boards. Why don't you join our
      project and have your students interact with our partner students?

      I'm planning a similar kind of project. Students would exchange several
      e-mails during the session on the specified topics. The following is the
      tentative plan for this:

      Exchange Plan:

      1. School life (Sept. 29 - Oct. 26)
      Every partner school hosts its own bulletin board. First, students who
      own the board post introductory messages about their school life and
      invites comments from other partner students.

      postings with 150 or more words, comments with 100 or more words

      2. Cultures (Oct. 27- Nov. 22)
      Students will discuss various aspects of their own domestic cultures,
      such as festivals and special events, food culture, fashion,
      entertainment, etc.

      postings with 200 or more words, comments with 100 or more words

      3. Social Issues - World Peace (Nov. 23 - Dec. 13)
      Students will discuss various domestic and international issues, such
      as juvenile crimes, environmental issues, educational issues, regional
      conflicts in the world, etc.

      postings with 250 or more words, comments with 150 or more words

      4. Special Work for Commemorating the Project (Nov. 23 - Dec. 13)
      Video-letter exchange

      The following are the steps you have to take for your students to be officially
      registered:

      1. Send your e-mail to me (wata33@...).

      2. Key in student names, student ids, and e-mail
      addresses in the MS Excel file I am going to send you later, and send the
      completed file back to me.

      Student Name Student ID
      eg John Smith 12001168

      3. Take the pictures of each students.
      If you have a digital camera, take one picture for one student, make
      them smaller in file size (10 - 30 kb in jpeg compressed), and send all
      the pictures to me via e-mail.

      If you do not have a digital camera, but have an image scanner,
      take pictures, scan them, make them smaller in file size (10 - 30 kb in
      jpeg compressed), and send all the pictures to me via e-mail.

      If you have neither a digital camera nor an image scanner, but has an
      ordinary camera, take pictures, develop them and send them to my
      university via air mail.

      If you have any question, do not hesitate to ask me.

      Masahito Watanabe
      University Education Center
      Yokohama National University
      79-1 Tokiwaday, Hodogaya, Yokohama, Japan
      240-8501
      +81 (0)45-339-3195 (room 107)
      +81 ()045-339-3135 (room 201)
      wata33@...