Re: Webheads in Action: Community formation online and its role inlanguage learning

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 5, 2002
      Hello James,

      and I'm also going to take this opportunity to welcome Joan Miller who joined
      us a day or two ago ... and I'm copying this to our existing Webheads group, so
      if new members appear, we'll all know how and why. Many of our Webheads
      members are familiar with TESOL, having participated in live online sessions at
      several TESOL Conferences. TESOL is at http://www.tesol.org in case you need
      to know that.

      Webheads is a live community of native and non-native speakers and learners of
      English who are interested in getting to know each other and in the process
      learn a bit about the free synchronous communication software tools that makes
      this possible. We've been doing 'our thing' for over three years now.
      Meanwhile this TESOL EV Online event came up and I offered to facilitate a
      session on how we got our community together online and sustained it.

      The course syllabus is at
      http://www.vancestevens.com/papers/evonline2002/webheads.htm. As you can see,
      we are slated to 'start' January 25.

      However, your options for participation are broader than that. You can join
      the yahoogroup we've set up for this purpose at
      evonline2002_webheads-subscribe@yahoogroups.com (Joan has already done that;
      not sure about James Farmer). To join you just send email to that address.
      Then you would follow the syllabus as directed.

      Alternatively, you can also participate in the real thing. To do this, you
      send blank email to efiwebheads-subscribe@yahoogroups.com. In this case we
      treat you as a member of our community. You would be invited to send a picture
      and and introduction of yourself (all optional; everything is optional in this
      group). If received, we would add your picture to our gallery at
      http://sites.hsprofessional.com/vstevens/files/efi/webheads.htm. If we receive
      an introduction, we start a Webheads web page for you and link it from
      http://sites.hsprofessional.com/vstevens/files/efi/students.htm. This would
      put you on our listserv as well, though you are able to control what emails you
      receive and where they are sent.

      You can also participate by just dropping in on our live synchronous chat
      sessions held each Sunday noon GMT. We speak in GMT at Webheads. This is
      rather early in the morning for people in the USA, though we tend to remain
      online till 2 or 3 in the afternoon GMT. In these sessions we meet at
      http://www.tappedin.org and we often branch into voice and video web cam chat
      using Yahoo Messenger. You can join us if you like (with or without being a
      member of our group). There is a url explaining how:
      http://sites.hsprofessional.com/vstevens/files/efi/software.htm

      Until January 25 in the TESOL EV Online group will be forming. If you would
      like to join us at Webheads meantime, we are a very welcoming community, and
      you would meet members of the Tapped In community as well. Feel free to
      participate as you like.

      All the best,

      Vance
      http://www.vancestevens.com/