Re: [evonline2002_webheads] Re: Penultimate update on Vance's WorldCALL session from Fukuoka

    Message 1 of 18 , Aug 6, 2008
      Hi again, Vance!

      I meant kimonos, not saris. Where did I get the idea from, I wonder?! :-(

      More beijinhos, Teresa

      > Hi, Vance!
      >
      > I just looked at all the photos and loved to see you all together and the
      > Webhead ladies in saris! BTW, have you noticed that you're writing April
      > and
      > not August in the photos?!
      >
      > I'll listen to the recording tomorrow.
      >
      > Keep enjoying your time! :-)
      >
      > Beijinhos all, Teresa
    • Rita Zeinstejer
      Message 2 of 18 , Aug 6, 2008
        Dear all,
        It was sheer pleasure sharing the floor with Nelba and Vance early
        this morning (Argentina time). I guess the people in the audience
        were glued to the screen where Vance projected his slides, and all
        ears to take in so much interesting information. It was a very
        smooth, appealing talk --and interaction at times.
        I am also following the experience of Webheads in Fukuoka..., great
        photos and reports from Nelba, every day..., thank you, Nelba, for
        the constant updating! :-)
        My very best wishes for a most enjoyable stay, make the most of it
        all!
        Abrazos,
        Rita

        --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, GLENN VANCE STEVENS
        <vstevens@...> wrote:

        > Hey, glad you could make it, and also the other kind folks
        mentioned.  Good luck I saw you online right as we were starting
        my presentation.  I was standing at the podium, about to begin,
        and the chat window where you responded 'where is it' was on the
        overhead.  People were coming and going in the audience and some
        were watching how we get these presentations under way and
        appreciating that all is not pre-planned, but much is spontaneous.

        > There is a recording of the presentation here:
        > https://sas.elluminate.com/p.jnlp?psid=2008-08-
        06.0111.M.7AE801FFB697DA460D4BF25AA8C21B.vcr
        > and for your convenience:
        > http://tinyurl.com/5bdpvh
        >
        > I've just uploaded some photos to Flickr.  These are being
        aggregated at
        > http://technorati.com/photos/tag/worldcall08
        >
        > Erika has the idea.  She's uploaded a bunch of photos to
        Flickr and tagged them worldcall08.

        > I uploaded a bunch of photos just now but so far they haven't
        appeared at this listing.  Isn't it aggravating when things take
        like more than a minute or two?? What's going on with Technorati??
        Last night it was almost instantaneous ;-)

        > Thanks those who turned up and I must say today's presentation was
        pretty cool. Nelba was an excellent co-presenter, filling in details
        I glossed over, and Rita's and Sasha's contributions from cyberspace,
        esp. the interaction with the audience during the question session at
        the end, went like you wish they'd all go.  Someone asked about
        mobile learning, Rita responded with mention of her students
        podcasting, and this got me thinking of gabcast and jott.com.

        > We certainly had one of the best presentations of the day, imho,
        >
        > Vance

      • Susana Canelo
        Message 3 of 18 , Aug 6, 2008
          Thanks Vance for sharing your great presentation !!!
          It was too early for me, so I listened and enjoyed the recorded version from Elluminate.

          I know, Rita could get up very early but I'm not so early riser, hahaha...
          Congratulations!!! It was fantastic.

          I've been looking at pictures , too. I've got a "healthy" envy if envy can be healthy... I'd love to be there.
          Keep on sharing and having fun
          A huge hug

          Susana

          From: Saša Sirk

          Ahoj,
          thanks, Vance, learned about the pres just in time to join it - had a
          great time, it was so nice to find there also Rita and Nelba and
          Bobbi and Kenan and hear Nergiz say hi :-).
          It's so much fun to hear about all these millions of ways to get
          connected, to pull together stuff from all over the cyberspace… To
          think how few of those tools I used just two years ago…
          I'm reading messages here, yes (digests though) . We have summer
          holidays here… so I spend most of the days fooling around with my
          boys... Tevz, my 5 year-old asked me about email earlier today and if
          he could have one… so we are now creating a gmail account for him.
          Need to send him a funny e-card to welcome him to the cyberworld… I
          was twenty five when I got my first email account...
          Hugs from Slovenia,
          Saša

          ------------------------------------

          When replying to postings, please delete this footer and extraneous text from
          reply BUT retain info to help retain context :-) http://webheads.infoYahoo!
          Groups Links

        • Carla arena
          Message 4 of 18 , Aug 6, 2008
            Dear WorldCALLers,

            I'm here following you in Fukuoka, and am glad you're there f2f and showing
            the true webhead spirit.

            Enjoy your time together!

            Beijos de Brasilia.

            On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 9:10 PM, Susana Canelo <susana_canelo@...>wrote:

            > Thanks Vance for sharing your great presentation !!!
            > It was too early for me, so I listened and enjoyed the recorded version
            > from Elluminate.
            >
            > I know, Rita could get up very early but I'm not so early riser, hahaha...
            > Congratulations!!! It was fantastic.
            >
            > I've been looking at pictures , too. I've got a "healthy" envy if envy can
            > be healthy... I'd love to be there.
            > Keep on sharing and having fun
            > A huge hug
            >
            > Susana
            >
            > -

          • GLENN VANCE STEVENS
            Message 5 of 18 , Aug 6, 2008
              Spirited webheads are here, photos aggregating nicely:
              http://technorati.com/photos/tag/worldcall08

              If you look carefully in there you will fiind a photo of the Japanese office of the Ginga Project,

              ginga,

              From: Carla arena

              Dear WorldCALLers,

              I'm here following you in Fukuoka, and am glad you're there f2f and showing
              the true webhead spirit.

              Enjoy your time together!

              Beijos de Brasilia.

              On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 9:10 PM, Susana Canelo <susana_canelo@...>wrote:

              > Thanks Vance for sharing your great presentation !!!
              > It was too early for me, so I listened and enjoyed the recorded version
              > from Elluminate.
              >
              > I know, Rita could get up very early but I'm not so early riser, hahaha...
              > Congratulations!!! It was fantastic.
              >
              > I've been looking at pictures , too. I've got a "healthy" envy if envy can
              > be healthy... I'd love to be there.
              > Keep on sharing and having fun
              > A huge hug
              >
              > Susana
              >
              > -

              <*> To change settings via email:
              mailto:evonline2002_webheads-digest@yahoogroups.com
              mailto:evonline2002_webheads-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            • Carla arena
              Message 6 of 18 , Aug 6, 2008
                Ginga Project, Vance??? You know I'm IN!!!

                Beijos. Miss our visits to breweries at night and intense learning days at
                TESOL.

                On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 11:13 PM, GLENN VANCE STEVENS <
                vstevens@...> wrote:

                > Spirited webheads are here, photos aggregating nicely:
                >
                > http://technorati.com/photos/tag/worldcall08
                >
                > If you look carefully in there you will fiind a photo of the Japanese
                > office of the Ginga Project,
                >
                > ginga,
                > Vance

                Carla Arena
                http://explorations.bloxi.jp
                http://brazilnaskeywest.wordpress.com

              • GLENN VANCE STEVENS
                Message 7 of 18 , Aug 6, 2008
                  Dear Rita,

                  It was great to have you there as well.  So happy that you made the effort to be up before dawn to contribute to the presentation.  I didn't have time beforehand to write specifically to you and Sasha (lots of updates on group lists), so it was serendipitous that Sasha simply appeared by magic in my YM list just as we were about to go on.  Doris was going to join us but I had a slide showing one of her presentations on Writingmatrix and she was of course mentioned often.

                  I've updated my static web page at
                  http://vancestevens.com/papers/index.html#next

                  with information pertaining to our presentation, the slides and recording, aggregated photos etc

                  Webhead Joseph Diaz was in our audience with a big camera.  He took pictures of Nelba and I and promised to post them to Flickr tagged worldcall08.

                  Hoping to see them in the aggregated mix soon.

                  Incidentally I started a worldcall08 group on Flickr and put my first batch of photos there. Not sure how that differs from aggregating on tags, so if you know, share the knowledge,

                  More incidentally, I was wrong about no wireless at the conference.  It is patchy, but available in some of the presentation rooms.  Also if you're using Vista there is no obvious way of entering a password so that it will encrypt into a key, so for Vista users, one more drawback of that OS rears it's ugly head.  But to set the record straight, there IS wireless here.

                  Anyone know how to get visa to accept a password like 12345ABCDE so that it becomes and encrypted key? (it's a pull down on a Mac, and I seem to remember having the option in XP).

                  One more thing, Vera Menezes gave an interesting plenary address on CALL development in the context of chaos theory and how strange attractors create butterfly effects impacting subsequent development of a field like CALL felt all around the world,  For example ... imagine huge auditorium, huge screen dwarfing tiny podium with speaker on stage, who clicked on a slide on ... Webheads in Action, and another slide on Writingmatrix.  Erika Cruvinel also rated her own slide and several minutes of Vera's presentation as she talked about Erika's model project sharing with Claudia's class in La Plata.

                  Something about butterflies moving wings creating perturbances setting up chain impacts felt far far away.

                  Message 8 of 18 , Aug 6, 2008
                    Interesting imagery, Vance. I can picture all the butterflies going to
                    unexpected places and affecting them in so many different ways...Of course,
                    the Webheads are part of this group of beautiful, unique butterflies!

                    I'm so glad to see the work of years we've been doing at our Binational
                    center being seen and discussed by others. Way to go, Erikats!

                    Vance, do you know if we could see Vera's Keynote?

                    > One more thing, Vera Menezes gave an interesting plenary address on CALL
                    > development in the context of chaos theory and how strange attractors create
                    > butterfly effects impacting subsequent development of a field like CALL felt
                    > all around the world,  For example ... imagine huge auditorium, huge
                    > screen dwarfing tiny podium with speaker on stage, who clicked on a slide on
                    > ... Webheads in Action, and another slide on Writingmatrix.  Erika
                    > Cruvinel also rated her own slide and several minutes of Vera's presentation
                    > as she talked about Erika's model project sharing with Claudia's class in La
                    > Plata.
                    >
                    > Something about butterflies moving wings creating perturbances setting up
                    > chain impacts felt far far away.
                    >
                    > Vance

                  • Rita Zeinstejer
                    Message 9 of 18 , Aug 7, 2008
                      <vstevens@...> wrote:

                      ".....Incidentally I started a worldcall08 group on Flickr and put my
                      first batch of
                      photos there. Not sure how that differs from aggregating on tags, so
                      if you
                      know, share the knowledge....."

                      Don't know what you exactly mean by this, but let me try ...:-)
                      In Flicker, you get "Your Photostream", which gives you access
                      to "tags". The page also gives you access to your untagged items,
                      which you can organize --all of them at once, if you want. As to
                      your "tagged" items, they appear in alphabetical order in a list
                      form, very neatly, or in a cloud, as in Delicious (BTW, have you seen
                      it's no longer Del.icio.us??), showing number of entries.
                      You can also search through multiple tags, for example, to find
                      photos and videos tagged like yours. This is a good feature, since
                      font size will promptly tell you whether there are more tagged items
                      alike in Flicker, which will allow you to contact tags and "taggers"
                      at once...

                      Hope this is what you were looking for, or else let me know.

                      Hugs all,

                      Rita
                    • vcautin
                      Message 10 of 18 , Aug 7, 2008
                        Susana: Let's do a riffle or something so we can go next year! :)

                        2008/8/6 Susana Canelo <susana_canelo@...>

                        > Thanks Vance for sharing your great presentation !!!
                        > It was too early for me, so I listened and enjoyed the recorded version
                        > from Elluminate.
                        >
                        > I know, Rita could get up very early but I'm not so early riser, hahaha...
                        > Congratulations!!! It was fantastic.
                        >
                        > I've been looking at pictures , too. I've got a "healthy" envy if envy can
                        > be healthy... I'd love to be there.
                        > Keep on sharing and having fun
                        > A huge hug
                        >
                        > Susana
                        >
                        > --- El mi� 6-ago-08, GLENN VANCE STEVENS <vstevens@...<vstevens%40emirates.net.ae>>
                        > escribi�:
                        >
                        > De: GLENN VANCE STEVENS <vstevens@...<vstevens%40emirates.net.ae>
                        > >
                        > Asunto: Re: [evonline2002_webheads] Re: Penultimate update on Vance's
                        > WorldCALL session from Fukuoka
                        > Para: evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com<evonline2002_webheads%40yahoogroups.com>
                        > Fecha: mi�rcoles, 6 de agosto de 2008, 11:56 am
                        >

                        > Hey, glad you could make it, and also the other kind folks mentioned.
                        > Good luck I saw you online right as we were starting my presentation.
                        > I was standing at the podium, about to begin, and the chat window where you
                        > responded 'where is it' was on the overhead.  People were
                        > coming and going in the audience and some were watching how we get these
                        > presentations under way and appreciating that all is not pre-planned, but
                        > much
                        > is spontaneous.
                        >
                        > There is a recording of the presentation here:
                        >
                        > https://sas.elluminate.com/p.jnlp?psid=2008-08-06.0111.M.7AE801FFB697DA460D4BF25AA8C21B.vcr
                        > and for your convenience:
                        > http://tinyurl.com/5bdpvh
                        >
                        > I've just uploaded some photos to Flickr.  These are being
                        > aggregated at
                        > http://technorati.com/photos/tag/worldcall08
                        >
                        > Erika has the idea.  She's uploaded a bunch of photos to Flickr
                        > and tagged them worldcall08.
                        >
                        > I uploaded a bunch of photos just now but so far they haven't appeared at
                        > this listing.  Isn't it aggravating when things take like more than
                        > a minute or two?? What's going on with Technorati?? Last night it was
                        > almost
                        > instantaneous ;-)
                        >
                        > Thanks those who turned up and I must say today's presentation was pretty
                        > cool. Nelba was an excellent co-presenter, filling in details I glossed
                        > over,
                        > and Rita's and Sasha's contributions from cyberspace, esp. the
                        > interaction with the audience during the question session at the end, went
                        > like
                        > you wish they'd all go.  Someone asked about mobile learning, Rita
                        > responded with mention of her students podcasting, and this got me thinking
                        > of
                        > gabcast and jott.com.
                        >
                        > We certainly had one of the best presentations of the day, imho,
                        >
                        > Vance

                      • Candace Pauchnick
                        Message 11 of 18 , Aug 7, 2008
                          I'm so grateful, Vance, you have a recording of your presentation, plus you have your slide show on slideshare.net. You have so much information for me to digest that I need to view it several times. I've actually viewed it, in pieces, three times, between nursing my daughter who had her wisdom teeth out yesterday. I see your social network of writing so valuable and would certainly like to incorporate your methods into my classroom. You show how education should be that motivates students and makes them want to learn!!!
                          My biggest hurdle is to sell these concepts to our school district's administration so they will unblock many of the programs needed to make this type of social network function, as well as many other great�online teaching methods.� Some examples of what is blocked: You Tube, most blog programs and especially My Space and Facebook,�any chat programs, Second Life, Twitter, and probably others I haven't tried such at dipity and swurl. Wikipedia is completely blocked and students are not allowed to use cell phones in class. I read how you were on a panel and gave a presentation in New York to 75 superindendents!� We really need you here in San Diego!!!!! :-)� I feel like I need to take a year off from teaching and just learn all that you do and then share these presentations to all our administrators. I feel like they are so afraid students will veer off the traditional learning methods and not score well on our stardardized tests.� These tests are
                          really what controls the administrator's goals and actions.�They seem afraid to try new techniques using the Internet.�I've struggled to get permission for opening chat sessions, for an hour,�when I do web conferences. Sometimes the IT people can't open the lines even when they try.
                          My first plan is to share your slideshow with the principal. Maybe she can pass the messege on to others. I have already talked to a resource specialist to have my China Internet project and web conference shared in our school district's newsletter and I hope it will be published. (I did call our local newspaper to have them visit when I did a web conference with China but they never showed up.) I will keep trying. Hopefully these little steps will eventually go far. Thank you, Vance, for all you do and thank you to all the other great teachers in this Webhead network!
                          You're such an inpiration!!!
                          Candace Pauchnick
                          San Diego, California

                          Message 12 of 18 , Aug 8, 2008
                            It's appreciate like this that keeps us all going.  If I can do anything to help from a distance just arrange it and invite me.

                            Incidentally, I see that at Webheads Tapped In time on Sunday I'll be on my way to Inchon airport in Seoul for the :-(( flight home and back to work soon thereafter.  So the week AFTER I'll resume as a regular fixture at our noon GMT Sunday chats.  Can't be there this Sunday though.

                            It's been great relating to webheads here in Fukuoka and all over the world during my holidays.

                            Best,