Re: [evonline2002_webheads] Lee Baber

  • Hala Fawzi
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 2, 2008
      Elderbob,

      Your words brought tears to my eyes!

       I have seen Lee's name, photos, and soul, in many webheads' platforms. I  hope that she died peacefully and I wish her family strength to come over these moments.The death of ones you know, no matter how strong one is, presents many challenges for us to face.

      The  death of a webhead indeed brings sadness to the whole webheads family.

      "The Lord gives, and the Lord takes away; Blessed by the Name
      of the Lord."

      Hala

      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 2, 2008
        Hello all from Seoul,

        Saddened to hear of the death of a most excellent webhead and
        worldbridger.

        Paul Allison reports that there is a memorial here:
        http://edtechtalk.com/comment/reply/3242

        And that they'll be remembering Lee on this weeks Teachers Teaching
        Teachers. 9:00pm Eastern / 6:00pm Pacific USA Wednesday / 01:00 UTC
        Thursday

        I'll be in Fukuoka tomorrow evening.

        Love to all the community, where each person is integral and valued
        Vance
      • Jane Petring
        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 2, 2008
          I'm shocked, saddened, dumbfounded...I had no idea Lee was battling
          cancer. She was a vibrant webhead and such an enthusastic musician.

          Ironically, I was listening to the Anthropology of YouTube when I
          scrolled down to Jeff's message, and then to so many more messages as
          people have written in their condolences. I'm thankful to be part of a
          network that can put me in touch with such fabulous people, and so
          sorry to lose any part of that network.

          Jane

          --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "jefflebow"
          <jefflebow@...> wrote:

          > Very sad news to share.
          >
          > Lee Baber died last night. She had been battling lung cancer for
          > several months. She was a vibrant part of many online communities
          > including the Webheads, EdTechTalk, Webcast Academy, & Youthbridges.
          > She was a tenacious learner and experimenter and very generous
          > teacher, guide, and friend.
          >
          > We have started an online memorial at http://edtechtalk.com/lee_baber
          > and will be putting together several online events to honor her life.
          >
          > With a great sense of sadness and loss,
          > Jeff

        • Candace Pauchnick
          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 4, 2008
            Since I have been out of touch with involvement with the Webheads for a long time I really didn't know Lee Baber but just reading everyone's posted messages shows me what a truly selfless, caring and gifted person she was. I wish I had personally had exchanges with her and gotten to know her. I warms my heart to see all the people who knew her collect together and create a memorial in her honor.  This show me how much of a loving family the Webheads really are even though people are spread out all over the world and most have not met face to face. I think Michael Wesch, the anthropologist who made the 55 min. video everyone is talking about, would have to agree that true bonding can take place on the Internet with special people. The Webheads have proven this and I believe all of you are truly great people in all ways.
            My prayers for peace and comfort go out for Lee's family.
            Candace Pauchnick

            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 4, 2008
              From Candance 's posting I learned the passing away of Lee Baber. I have followed 'evonline2002' for years and Lee's name is familiar to me.Her passing  is a great loss to the webhead community and a loss to all the e-teachers in the world.
              My condolence goes to Lee's family.
              Yaodong

              Message 6 of 17 , Aug 5, 2008
                Folks,

                I had been volunteering my Second Life skills for Lee on a project for the
                past seven months or so and she was always upbeat about her illness and
                carried on producing great stuff with me during that period. Occasionally
                she would disappear for a few days, but she always bounced back and got on
                with things. Sad to say I was away on holiday when she finally succumbed to
                the illness, but I will have fond memories of her humour, resilience and
                creativity and a little regret that we now won't get to finish a project she
                had thrown herself in to.

                Gavin

                Message 7 of 17 , Aug 5, 2008
                  I have just come back from a prolonged weekend in the countryside and was
                  shocked at this very sad and unexpected loss. Lee and I collaborated,
                  supported and scaffolded each other on Skype on many occasions both with
                  the kids or when setting up and exploring learning environments. She
                  shared with her friends her enthusiasm, her creativity and musical talent,
                  like when she played the banjo from Second Life straight into the conference
                  room at the end of the keynote in New Orleans (has anyone got the SL
                  screenshots on Flickr?) or when leading this year's EVO session.
                  I will miss her dearly but know and am happy that her suffering is over. We
                  will all remember her and she will continue inspiring all those who were
                  lucky to meet her and work with her. May she rest in peace.
                  Warm regards from Brazil,
                  Bee

                  --
                  Barbara Dieu
                  http://dekita.org

                • Graham Stanley
                  Message 8 of 17 , Aug 6, 2008
                    Just got access to the Internet after a number of days without connection in
                    the UK and I too am shocked and saddened to hear the news about Lee. She was
                    such a kind and generous hearted soul - I will always remember her patience
                    and help with a number of projects, especially during the EVO Podcasting
                    session in 2006 and the webcast academy sessions - she always had time to
                    help out and was truly a wonderful, innovative educator. I will miss her
                    very much, but know that she will be remembered by so many of us and will
                    continue to inspire.

                    Graham
                    At 10:08 PM +0000 8/1/08, jefflebow wrote:
                    >Very sad news to share.
                    >
                    >Lee Baber died last night. She had been battling lung cancer for
                    >several months. She was a vibrant part of many online communities
                    >including the Webheads, EdTechTalk, Webcast Academy, & Youthbridges.
                    >She was a tenacious learner and experimenter and very generous
                    >teacher, guide, and friend.
                    >
                    >We have started an online memorial at http://edtechtalk.com/lee_baber
                    >and will be putting together several online events to honor her life.
                    >
                    >With a great sense of sadness and loss,
                    >Jeff

                  • (Seyyedeh) Susan Marandi
                    Message 9 of 17 , Aug 7, 2008
                      Dear all,

                      Being behind on my correspondence, as usual, I didn't find the time to
                      say until now how sorry and shocked I was to hear of Lee's passing
                      away. I had met Lee thru the EVO sessions, and found her to be a true
                      Webhead in spirit: generous with her time and knowledge, patient and
                      kind, and lots of fun. But she was so energetic and full of life that
                      I never would have guessed she was ill! My heart goes out to her
                      family and to those of you who were close to her.

                      Following what Elderbob said about letting your family and dear ones
                      know how much you love them, I also felt I would like to tell you all
                      (as my virtual family!) how much I love you all! It is due to you that
                      I am at WorldCALL 2008 in Japan today, and I can't tell you how much it
                      means to me. So thanks again all!

                      Love and health to you all,
                      Susan Marandi @>---;-
                      Iranian Webhead