Re: [evonline2002_webheads] Lee Baber

  • Michael Coghlan
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 1 6:53 PM
      It feels like we've lost a member of the family. And I guess we have.
      Rest in peace Lee. We had plans to play music together online but now
      I'll just listen to your banjo and imagine how it may have been. :-(

      - Michael

      ----------

      At 07:38 AM 8/2/2008, you wrote:

      >Very sad news to share.
      >
      >Lee Baber died last night. She had been battling lung cancer for
      >several months. She was a vibrant part of many online communities
      >including the Webheads, EdTechTalk, Webcast Academy, & Youthbridges.
      >She was a tenacious learner and experimenter and very generous
      >teacher, guide, and friend.
      >
      >We have started an online memorial at
      ><http://edtechtalk.com/lee_baber>http://edtechtalk.com/lee_baber
      >and will be putting together several online events to honor her life.
      >
      >With a great sense of sadness and loss,
      >Jeff

      >8/1/2008 6:59 PM

    • Aiden Yeh
      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 1 7:07 PM
        You're right Michael. Oh, this is sooo sad. When I received your email, and just looking at the title, I had that gut feeling that this is going to be a sad news. But I was hoping that it wouldn't be because how could it be- she looks (seems odd to talk to her in the past tense) young and healthy in all the webshots that we've got. and the music- yes, we've got lots. Michael- the troubadour, Jane- drummer, and Lee- a music genius. In her projects, one could feel her love for music. Just look at her podcasts. Her work will continue to inspire me- and I hope others as well.

        Aiden

        At 07:38 AM 8/2/2008, you wrote:

        >Very sad news to share.
        >
        >Lee Baber died last night. She had been battling lung cancer for
        >several months. She was a vibrant part of many online communities
        >including the Webheads, EdTechTalk, Webcast Academy, & Youthbridges.
        >She was a tenacious learner and experimenter and very generous
        >teacher, guide, and friend.
        >
        >We have started an online memorial at
        ><http://edtechtalk. com/lee_baber>http://edtechtalk. com/lee_baber
        >and will be putting together several online events to honor her life.
        >
        >With a great sense of sadness and loss,
        >Jeff

        >8/1/2008 6:59 PM

      • Elderbob
        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 2 3:50 AM
          If there is a heaven,...tonight it has a new banjo picker. There will also
          soon be webcasting from "that better place".

          This is shocking news to me as well. I worked with Lee earlier this year
          and she never let on the seriousness of her illness, preferring instead to
          help others. And helping others was Lee's main goal in life. She was an
          ultra-talented person and there are but a few of us here, who were not
          touched by her in some way. But the one's that will suffer the most from
          her absence will be her future students....all the kids that will never get
          to feel Lee's loving, educational touch.

          It's times like these that I try to tell people to gather those living
          around them, together, to let them know how much you care about them,
          because you never know when the time will come that those you care about
          will not be around. Let your friends and family know how deeply you
          appreciate them today....I think Lee would want it that way.

          Good bye, Lee

          elderbob

          Helping folks understand that it's never too late to become all they ever
          wanted to become.

          This email is: [X] bloggable [ ] ask first [ ] private

          On Fri, Aug 1, 2008 at 9:07 PM, Aiden Yeh <aidenyeh@...> wrote:

          > You're right Michael. Oh, this is sooo sad. When I received your email,
          > and just looking at the title, I had that gut feeling that this is going to
          > be a sad news. But I was hoping that it wouldn't be because how could it be-
          > she looks (seems odd to talk to her in the past tense) young and healthy in
          > all the webshots that we've got. and the music- yes, we've got lots.
          > Michael- the troubadour, Jane- drummer, and Lee- a music genius. In her
          > projects, one could feel her love for music. Just look at her podcasts. Her
          > work will continue to inspire me- and I hope others as well.
          >
          > Aiden
          >
          > --- On Sat, 8/2/08, Michael Coghlan <michaelc@...<michaelc%40chariot.net.au>>
          > wrote:
          >
          > From: Michael Coghlan <michaelc@... <michaelc%40chariot.net.au>
          > >
          > Subject: Re: [evonline2002_webheads] Lee Baber
          > To: evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com<evonline2002_webheads%40yahoogroups.com>
          > Date: Saturday, August 2, 2008, 9:53 AM
          >

          > It feels like we've lost a member of the family. And I guess we have.
          > Rest in peace Lee. We had plans to play music together online but now
          > I'll just listen to your banjo and imagine how it may have been. :-(
          >
          > - Michael
          >
          > ----------
          >
          > At 07:38 AM 8/2/2008, you wrote:
          >
          > >Very sad news to share.
          > >
          > >Lee Baber died last night. She had been battling lung cancer for
          > >several months. She was a vibrant part of many online communities
          > >including the Webheads, EdTechTalk, Webcast Academy, & Youthbridges.
          > >She was a tenacious learner and experimenter and very generous
          > >teacher, guide, and friend.
          > >
          > >We have started an online memorial at
          > ><http://edtechtalk. com/lee_baber>http://edtechtalk. com/lee_baber
          > >and will be putting together several online events to honor her life.
          > >
          > >With a great sense of sadness and loss,
          > >Jeff

          > >8/1/2008 6:59 PM

        • Susana Canelo
          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 2 8:12 AM
            Dear Elderbob:
            you're absolutely right.
            I pray for her soul , she doesn't need my prays anyway. And I pray for her family and close friends.
            We feel like somebody of our family has left. I'll tell my family how much I care, they know that,but I'm need to make it sure.
            A hug from Argentina
            Susana

            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 2 12:40 PM
              Dear Jeff,

              Though very sad news, thanks for letting us know. Our extended Webhead
              family is very saddened and smaller today. May Lee rest in peace and,
              wherever she is, continue to see what the Webheads do throughout the world,
              starting with the World CALL Conference in Japan in the next few days.

              Hugs all, Teresa
            • Hala Fawzi
              Message 6 of 17 , Aug 2 2:13 PM
                Elderbob,

                Your words brought tears to my eyes!

                 I have seen Lee's name, photos, and soul, in many webheads' platforms. I  hope that she died peacefully and I wish her family strength to come over these moments.The death of ones you know, no matter how strong one is, presents many challenges for us to face.

                The  death of a webhead indeed brings sadness to the whole webheads family.

                "The Lord gives, and the Lord takes away; Blessed by the Name
                of the Lord."

                Hala

                Message 7 of 17 , Aug 2 6:17 PM
                  Hello all from Seoul,

                  Saddened to hear of the death of a most excellent webhead and
                  worldbridger.

                  Paul Allison reports that there is a memorial here:
                  http://edtechtalk.com/comment/reply/3242

                  And that they'll be remembering Lee on this weeks Teachers Teaching
                  Teachers. 9:00pm Eastern / 6:00pm Pacific USA Wednesday / 01:00 UTC
                  Thursday

                  I'll be in Fukuoka tomorrow evening.

                  Love to all the community, where each person is integral and valued
                  Vance
                • Jane Petring
                  Message 8 of 17 , Aug 2 9:53 PM
                    I'm shocked, saddened, dumbfounded...I had no idea Lee was battling
                    cancer. She was a vibrant webhead and such an enthusastic musician.

                    Ironically, I was listening to the Anthropology of YouTube when I
                    scrolled down to Jeff's message, and then to so many more messages as
                    people have written in their condolences. I'm thankful to be part of a
                    network that can put me in touch with such fabulous people, and so
                    sorry to lose any part of that network.

                    Jane

                    --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "jefflebow"
                    <jefflebow@...> wrote:

                    > Very sad news to share.
                    >
                    > Lee Baber died last night. She had been battling lung cancer for
                    > several months. She was a vibrant part of many online communities
                    > including the Webheads, EdTechTalk, Webcast Academy, & Youthbridges.
                    > She was a tenacious learner and experimenter and very generous
                    > teacher, guide, and friend.
                    >
                    > We have started an online memorial at http://edtechtalk.com/lee_baber
                    > and will be putting together several online events to honor her life.
                    >
                    > With a great sense of sadness and loss,
                    > Jeff

                  • Candace Pauchnick
                    Message 9 of 17 , Aug 4 8:47 AM
                      Since I have been out of touch with involvement with the Webheads for a long time I really didn't know Lee Baber but just reading everyone's posted messages shows me what a truly selfless, caring and gifted person she was. I wish I had personally had exchanges with her and gotten to know her. I warms my heart to see all the people who knew her collect together and create a memorial in her honor.  This show me how much of a loving family the Webheads really are even though people are spread out all over the world and most have not met face to face. I think Michael Wesch, the anthropologist who made the 55 min. video everyone is talking about, would have to agree that true bonding can take place on the Internet with special people. The Webheads have proven this and I believe all of you are truly great people in all ways.
                      My prayers for peace and comfort go out for Lee's family.
                      Candace Pauchnick

                      Message 10 of 17 , Aug 4 7:16 PM
                        From Candance 's posting I learned the passing away of Lee Baber. I have followed 'evonline2002' for years and Lee's name is familiar to me.Her passing  is a great loss to the webhead community and a loss to all the e-teachers in the world.
                        My condolence goes to Lee's family.
                        Yaodong

                        Message 11 of 17 , Aug 5 11:08 AM
                          Folks,

                          I had been volunteering my Second Life skills for Lee on a project for the
                          past seven months or so and she was always upbeat about her illness and
                          carried on producing great stuff with me during that period. Occasionally
                          she would disappear for a few days, but she always bounced back and got on
                          with things. Sad to say I was away on holiday when she finally succumbed to
                          the illness, but I will have fond memories of her humour, resilience and
                          creativity and a little regret that we now won't get to finish a project she
                          had thrown herself in to.

                          Gavin

                          Message 12 of 17 , Aug 5 11:42 AM
                            I have just come back from a prolonged weekend in the countryside and was
                            shocked at this very sad and unexpected loss. Lee and I collaborated,
                            supported and scaffolded each other on Skype on many occasions both with
                            the kids or when setting up and exploring learning environments. She
                            shared with her friends her enthusiasm, her creativity and musical talent,
                            like when she played the banjo from Second Life straight into the conference
                            room at the end of the keynote in New Orleans (has anyone got the SL
                            screenshots on Flickr?) or when leading this year's EVO session.
                            I will miss her dearly but know and am happy that her suffering is over. We
                            will all remember her and she will continue inspiring all those who were
                            lucky to meet her and work with her. May she rest in peace.
                            Warm regards from Brazil,
                            Bee

                            --
                            Barbara Dieu
                            http://dekita.org

                          • Graham Stanley
                            Message 13 of 17 , Aug 6 8:45 AM
                              Just got access to the Internet after a number of days without connection in
                              the UK and I too am shocked and saddened to hear the news about Lee. She was
                              such a kind and generous hearted soul - I will always remember her patience
                              and help with a number of projects, especially during the EVO Podcasting
                              session in 2006 and the webcast academy sessions - she always had time to
                              help out and was truly a wonderful, innovative educator. I will miss her
                              very much, but know that she will be remembered by so many of us and will
                              continue to inspire.

                              Graham
                              At 10:08 PM +0000 8/1/08, jefflebow wrote:
                              >Very sad news to share.
                              >
                              >Lee Baber died last night. She had been battling lung cancer for
                              >several months. She was a vibrant part of many online communities
                              >including the Webheads, EdTechTalk, Webcast Academy, & Youthbridges.
                              >She was a tenacious learner and experimenter and very generous
                              >teacher, guide, and friend.
                              >
                              >We have started an online memorial at http://edtechtalk.com/lee_baber
                              >and will be putting together several online events to honor her life.
                              >
                              >With a great sense of sadness and loss,
                              >Jeff

                            • (Seyyedeh) Susan Marandi
                              Message 14 of 17 , Aug 7 8:25 AM
                                Dear all,

                                Being behind on my correspondence, as usual, I didn't find the time to
                                say until now how sorry and shocked I was to hear of Lee's passing
                                away. I had met Lee thru the EVO sessions, and found her to be a true
                                Webhead in spirit: generous with her time and knowledge, patient and
                                kind, and lots of fun. But she was so energetic and full of life that
                                I never would have guessed she was ill! My heart goes out to her
                                family and to those of you who were close to her.

                                Following what Elderbob said about letting your family and dear ones
                                know how much you love them, I also felt I would like to tell you all
                                (as my virtual family!) how much I love you all! It is due to you that
                                I am at WorldCALL 2008 in Japan today, and I can't tell you how much it
                                means to me. So thanks again all!

                                Love and health to you all,
                                Susan Marandi @>---;-
                                Iranian Webhead