Re: [evonline2002_webheads] Lee Baber

  • John Hibbs
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 1, 2008
      Jeff's sad news was just that --- very, very sad. There are some
      lovely remarks at edtecktalk -- worthy or slow, careful reading.

      What's also worthy of time and reflection is that one of the busiest
      guys on the planet -- Jeff Lebow - found time to put up the memorial
      blog. Like Lee, Jeff is an inspiration as well. Thank you Jeff.
      John Hibbs
      Eugene, Oregon
      Home of the Ducks

      At 10:08 PM +0000 8/1/08, jefflebow wrote:
      >Very sad news to share.
      >
      >Lee Baber died last night. She had been battling lung cancer for
      >several months. She was a vibrant part of many online communities
      >including the Webheads, EdTechTalk, Webcast Academy, & Youthbridges.
      >She was a tenacious learner and experimenter and very generous
      >teacher, guide, and friend.
      >
      >We have started an online memorial at http://edtechtalk.com/lee_baber
      >and will be putting together several online events to honor her life.
      >
      >With a great sense of sadness and loss,
      >Jeff

    • Joao Alves
      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 1, 2008
        Very sad news indeed. I didn't know Lee very well, only from the
        Earthbridges community. I had the opportunity to listen to her only a few
        times during some of the Skype conferences we had. My sincere condolences to
        the family.

        The memorial blog that Jeff put together is an excellent idea.

        Joao Alves

        2008/8/1 John Hibbs <skipper@...>

        > Jeff's sad news was just that --- very, very sad. There are some
        > lovely remarks at edtecktalk -- worthy or slow, careful reading.
        >
        > What's also worthy of time and reflection is that one of the busiest
        > guys on the planet -- Jeff Lebow - found time to put up the memorial
        > blog. Like Lee, Jeff is an inspiration as well. Thank you Jeff.
        > John Hibbs
        > Eugene, Oregon
        > Home of the Ducks
        >

        > At 10:08 PM +0000 8/1/08, jefflebow wrote:
        > >Very sad news to share.
        > >
        > >Lee Baber died last night. She had been battling lung cancer for
        > >several months. She was a vibrant part of many online communities
        > >including the Webheads, EdTechTalk, Webcast Academy, & Youthbridges.
        > >She was a tenacious learner and experimenter and very generous
        > >teacher, guide, and friend.
        > >
        > >We have started an online memorial at http://edtechtalk.com/lee_baber
        > >and will be putting together several online events to honor her life.
        > >
        > >With a great sense of sadness and loss,
        > >Jeff

        Joao Alves
        http://joaocarlosalves.eu

      • Michael Coghlan
        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 1, 2008
          It feels like we've lost a member of the family. And I guess we have.
          Rest in peace Lee. We had plans to play music together online but now
          I'll just listen to your banjo and imagine how it may have been. :-(

          - Michael

          ----------

          At 07:38 AM 8/2/2008, you wrote:

          >Very sad news to share.
          >
          >Lee Baber died last night. She had been battling lung cancer for
          >several months. She was a vibrant part of many online communities
          >including the Webheads, EdTechTalk, Webcast Academy, & Youthbridges.
          >She was a tenacious learner and experimenter and very generous
          >teacher, guide, and friend.
          >
          >We have started an online memorial at
          ><http://edtechtalk.com/lee_baber>http://edtechtalk.com/lee_baber
          >and will be putting together several online events to honor her life.
          >
          >With a great sense of sadness and loss,
          >Jeff

          >8/1/2008 6:59 PM

        • Aiden Yeh
          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 1, 2008
            You're right Michael. Oh, this is sooo sad. When I received your email, and just looking at the title, I had that gut feeling that this is going to be a sad news. But I was hoping that it wouldn't be because how could it be- she looks (seems odd to talk to her in the past tense) young and healthy in all the webshots that we've got. and the music- yes, we've got lots. Michael- the troubadour, Jane- drummer, and Lee- a music genius. In her projects, one could feel her love for music. Just look at her podcasts. Her work will continue to inspire me- and I hope others as well.

            Aiden

            At 07:38 AM 8/2/2008, you wrote:

            >Very sad news to share.
            >
            >Lee Baber died last night. She had been battling lung cancer for
            >several months. She was a vibrant part of many online communities
            >including the Webheads, EdTechTalk, Webcast Academy, & Youthbridges.
            >She was a tenacious learner and experimenter and very generous
            >teacher, guide, and friend.
            >
            >We have started an online memorial at
            ><http://edtechtalk. com/lee_baber>http://edtechtalk. com/lee_baber
            >and will be putting together several online events to honor her life.
            >
            >With a great sense of sadness and loss,
            >Jeff

            >8/1/2008 6:59 PM

          • Elderbob
            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 2, 2008
              If there is a heaven,...tonight it has a new banjo picker. There will also
              soon be webcasting from "that better place".

              This is shocking news to me as well. I worked with Lee earlier this year
              and she never let on the seriousness of her illness, preferring instead to
              help others. And helping others was Lee's main goal in life. She was an
              ultra-talented person and there are but a few of us here, who were not
              touched by her in some way. But the one's that will suffer the most from
              her absence will be her future students....all the kids that will never get
              to feel Lee's loving, educational touch.

              It's times like these that I try to tell people to gather those living
              around them, together, to let them know how much you care about them,
              because you never know when the time will come that those you care about
              will not be around. Let your friends and family know how deeply you
              appreciate them today....I think Lee would want it that way.

              Good bye, Lee

              elderbob

              Helping folks understand that it's never too late to become all they ever
              wanted to become.

              This email is: [X] bloggable [ ] ask first [ ] private

              On Fri, Aug 1, 2008 at 9:07 PM, Aiden Yeh <aidenyeh@...> wrote:

              > You're right Michael. Oh, this is sooo sad. When I received your email,
              > and just looking at the title, I had that gut feeling that this is going to
              > be a sad news. But I was hoping that it wouldn't be because how could it be-
              > she looks (seems odd to talk to her in the past tense) young and healthy in
              > all the webshots that we've got. and the music- yes, we've got lots.
              > Michael- the troubadour, Jane- drummer, and Lee- a music genius. In her
              > projects, one could feel her love for music. Just look at her podcasts. Her
              > work will continue to inspire me- and I hope others as well.
              >
              > Aiden
              >
              > --- On Sat, 8/2/08, Michael Coghlan <michaelc@...<michaelc%40chariot.net.au>>
              > wrote:
              >
              > From: Michael Coghlan <michaelc@... <michaelc%40chariot.net.au>
              > >
              > Subject: Re: [evonline2002_webheads] Lee Baber
              > To: evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com<evonline2002_webheads%40yahoogroups.com>
              > Date: Saturday, August 2, 2008, 9:53 AM
              >

              > It feels like we've lost a member of the family. And I guess we have.
              > Rest in peace Lee. We had plans to play music together online but now
              > I'll just listen to your banjo and imagine how it may have been. :-(
              >
              > - Michael
              >
              > ----------
              >
              > At 07:38 AM 8/2/2008, you wrote:
              >
              > >Very sad news to share.
              > >
              > >Lee Baber died last night. She had been battling lung cancer for
              > >several months. She was a vibrant part of many online communities
              > >including the Webheads, EdTechTalk, Webcast Academy, & Youthbridges.
              > >She was a tenacious learner and experimenter and very generous
              > >teacher, guide, and friend.
              > >
              > >We have started an online memorial at
              > ><http://edtechtalk. com/lee_baber>http://edtechtalk. com/lee_baber
              > >and will be putting together several online events to honor her life.
              > >
              > >With a great sense of sadness and loss,
              > >Jeff

              > >8/1/2008 6:59 PM

            • Susana Canelo
              Message 6 of 17 , Aug 2, 2008
                Dear Elderbob:
                you're absolutely right.
                I pray for her soul , she doesn't need my prays anyway. And I pray for her family and close friends.
                We feel like somebody of our family has left. I'll tell my family how much I care, they know that,but I'm need to make it sure.
                A hug from Argentina
                Susana

                Message 7 of 17 , Aug 2, 2008
                  Dear Jeff,

                  Though very sad news, thanks for letting us know. Our extended Webhead
                  family is very saddened and smaller today. May Lee rest in peace and,
                  wherever she is, continue to see what the Webheads do throughout the world,
                  starting with the World CALL Conference in Japan in the next few days.

                  Hugs all, Teresa
                • Hala Fawzi
                  Message 8 of 17 , Aug 2, 2008
                    Elderbob,

                    Your words brought tears to my eyes!

                     I have seen Lee's name, photos, and soul, in many webheads' platforms. I  hope that she died peacefully and I wish her family strength to come over these moments.The death of ones you know, no matter how strong one is, presents many challenges for us to face.

                    The  death of a webhead indeed brings sadness to the whole webheads family.

                    "The Lord gives, and the Lord takes away; Blessed by the Name
                    of the Lord."

                    Hala

                    Message 9 of 17 , Aug 2, 2008
                      Hello all from Seoul,

                      Saddened to hear of the death of a most excellent webhead and
                      worldbridger.

                      Paul Allison reports that there is a memorial here:
                      http://edtechtalk.com/comment/reply/3242

                      And that they'll be remembering Lee on this weeks Teachers Teaching
                      Teachers. 9:00pm Eastern / 6:00pm Pacific USA Wednesday / 01:00 UTC
                      Thursday

                      I'll be in Fukuoka tomorrow evening.

                      Love to all the community, where each person is integral and valued
                      Vance
                    • Jane Petring
                      Message 10 of 17 , Aug 2, 2008
                        I'm shocked, saddened, dumbfounded...I had no idea Lee was battling
                        cancer. She was a vibrant webhead and such an enthusastic musician.

                        Ironically, I was listening to the Anthropology of YouTube when I
                        scrolled down to Jeff's message, and then to so many more messages as
                        people have written in their condolences. I'm thankful to be part of a
                        network that can put me in touch with such fabulous people, and so
                        sorry to lose any part of that network.

                        Jane

                        --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "jefflebow"
                        <jefflebow@...> wrote:

                        > Very sad news to share.
                        >
                        > Lee Baber died last night. She had been battling lung cancer for
                        > several months. She was a vibrant part of many online communities
                        > including the Webheads, EdTechTalk, Webcast Academy, & Youthbridges.
                        > She was a tenacious learner and experimenter and very generous
                        > teacher, guide, and friend.
                        >
                        > We have started an online memorial at http://edtechtalk.com/lee_baber
                        > and will be putting together several online events to honor her life.
                        >
                        > With a great sense of sadness and loss,
                        > Jeff

                      • Candace Pauchnick
                        Message 11 of 17 , Aug 4, 2008
                          Since I have been out of touch with involvement with the Webheads for a long time I really didn't know Lee Baber but just reading everyone's posted messages shows me what a truly selfless, caring and gifted person she was. I wish I had personally had exchanges with her and gotten to know her. I warms my heart to see all the people who knew her collect together and create a memorial in her honor.  This show me how much of a loving family the Webheads really are even though people are spread out all over the world and most have not met face to face. I think Michael Wesch, the anthropologist who made the 55 min. video everyone is talking about, would have to agree that true bonding can take place on the Internet with special people. The Webheads have proven this and I believe all of you are truly great people in all ways.
                          My prayers for peace and comfort go out for Lee's family.
                          Candace Pauchnick

                          Message 12 of 17 , Aug 4, 2008
                            From Candance 's posting I learned the passing away of Lee Baber. I have followed 'evonline2002' for years and Lee's name is familiar to me.Her passing  is a great loss to the webhead community and a loss to all the e-teachers in the world.
                            My condolence goes to Lee's family.
                            Yaodong

                            Message 13 of 17 , Aug 5, 2008
                              Folks,

                              I had been volunteering my Second Life skills for Lee on a project for the
                              past seven months or so and she was always upbeat about her illness and
                              carried on producing great stuff with me during that period. Occasionally
                              she would disappear for a few days, but she always bounced back and got on
                              with things. Sad to say I was away on holiday when she finally succumbed to
                              the illness, but I will have fond memories of her humour, resilience and
                              creativity and a little regret that we now won't get to finish a project she
                              had thrown herself in to.

                              Gavin

                              Message 14 of 17 , Aug 5, 2008
                                I have just come back from a prolonged weekend in the countryside and was
                                shocked at this very sad and unexpected loss. Lee and I collaborated,
                                supported and scaffolded each other on Skype on many occasions both with
                                the kids or when setting up and exploring learning environments. She
                                shared with her friends her enthusiasm, her creativity and musical talent,
                                like when she played the banjo from Second Life straight into the conference
                                room at the end of the keynote in New Orleans (has anyone got the SL
                                screenshots on Flickr?) or when leading this year's EVO session.
                                I will miss her dearly but know and am happy that her suffering is over. We
                                will all remember her and she will continue inspiring all those who were
                                lucky to meet her and work with her. May she rest in peace.
                                Warm regards from Brazil,
                                Bee

                                --
                                Barbara Dieu
                                http://dekita.org

                              • Graham Stanley
                                Message 15 of 17 , Aug 6, 2008
                                  Just got access to the Internet after a number of days without connection in
                                  the UK and I too am shocked and saddened to hear the news about Lee. She was
                                  such a kind and generous hearted soul - I will always remember her patience
                                  and help with a number of projects, especially during the EVO Podcasting
                                  session in 2006 and the webcast academy sessions - she always had time to
                                  help out and was truly a wonderful, innovative educator. I will miss her
                                  very much, but know that she will be remembered by so many of us and will
                                  continue to inspire.

                                  Graham
                                  At 10:08 PM +0000 8/1/08, jefflebow wrote:
                                  >Very sad news to share.
                                  >
                                  >Lee Baber died last night. She had been battling lung cancer for
                                  >several months. She was a vibrant part of many online communities
                                  >including the Webheads, EdTechTalk, Webcast Academy, & Youthbridges.
                                  >She was a tenacious learner and experimenter and very generous
                                  >teacher, guide, and friend.
                                  >
                                  >We have started an online memorial at http://edtechtalk.com/lee_baber
                                  >and will be putting together several online events to honor her life.
                                  >
                                  >With a great sense of sadness and loss,
                                  >Jeff

                                • (Seyyedeh) Susan Marandi
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Aug 7, 2008
                                    Dear all,

                                    Being behind on my correspondence, as usual, I didn't find the time to
                                    say until now how sorry and shocked I was to hear of Lee's passing
                                    away. I had met Lee thru the EVO sessions, and found her to be a true
                                    Webhead in spirit: generous with her time and knowledge, patient and
                                    kind, and lots of fun. But she was so energetic and full of life that
                                    I never would have guessed she was ill! My heart goes out to her
                                    family and to those of you who were close to her.

                                    Following what Elderbob said about letting your family and dear ones
                                    know how much you love them, I also felt I would like to tell you all
                                    (as my virtual family!) how much I love you all! It is due to you that
                                    I am at WorldCALL 2008 in Japan today, and I can't tell you how much it
                                    means to me. So thanks again all!

                                    Love and health to you all,
                                    Susan Marandi @>---;-
                                    Iranian Webhead