Lee Baber

  • jefflebow
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 1, 2008
      Very sad news to share.

      Lee Baber died last night. She had been battling lung cancer for
      several months. She was a vibrant part of many online communities
      including the Webheads, EdTechTalk, Webcast Academy, & Youthbridges.
      She was a tenacious learner and experimenter and very generous
      teacher, guide, and friend.

      We have started an online memorial at http://edtechtalk.com/lee_baber
      and will be putting together several online events to honor her life.

      With a great sense of sadness and loss,
      Jeff
    • John Hibbs
      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 1, 2008
        Jeff's sad news was just that --- very, very sad. There are some
        lovely remarks at edtecktalk -- worthy or slow, careful reading.

        What's also worthy of time and reflection is that one of the busiest
        guys on the planet -- Jeff Lebow - found time to put up the memorial
        blog. Like Lee, Jeff is an inspiration as well. Thank you Jeff.
        John Hibbs
        Eugene, Oregon
        Home of the Ducks

        At 10:08 PM +0000 8/1/08, jefflebow wrote:
        >Very sad news to share.
        >
        >Lee Baber died last night. She had been battling lung cancer for
        >several months. She was a vibrant part of many online communities
        >including the Webheads, EdTechTalk, Webcast Academy, & Youthbridges.
        >She was a tenacious learner and experimenter and very generous
        >teacher, guide, and friend.
        >
        >We have started an online memorial at http://edtechtalk.com/lee_baber
        >and will be putting together several online events to honor her life.
        >
        >With a great sense of sadness and loss,
        >Jeff

      • Joao Alves
        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 1, 2008
          Very sad news indeed. I didn't know Lee very well, only from the
          Earthbridges community. I had the opportunity to listen to her only a few
          times during some of the Skype conferences we had. My sincere condolences to
          the family.

          The memorial blog that Jeff put together is an excellent idea.

          Joao Alves

          2008/8/1 John Hibbs <skipper@...>

          > Jeff's sad news was just that --- very, very sad. There are some
          > lovely remarks at edtecktalk -- worthy or slow, careful reading.
          >
          > What's also worthy of time and reflection is that one of the busiest
          > guys on the planet -- Jeff Lebow - found time to put up the memorial
          > blog. Like Lee, Jeff is an inspiration as well. Thank you Jeff.
          > John Hibbs
          > Eugene, Oregon
          > Home of the Ducks
          >

          > At 10:08 PM +0000 8/1/08, jefflebow wrote:
          > >Very sad news to share.
          > >
          > >Lee Baber died last night. She had been battling lung cancer for
          > >several months. She was a vibrant part of many online communities
          > >including the Webheads, EdTechTalk, Webcast Academy, & Youthbridges.
          > >She was a tenacious learner and experimenter and very generous
          > >teacher, guide, and friend.
          > >
          > >We have started an online memorial at http://edtechtalk.com/lee_baber
          > >and will be putting together several online events to honor her life.
          > >
          > >With a great sense of sadness and loss,
          > >Jeff

          Joao Alves
          http://joaocarlosalves.eu

        • Michael Coghlan
          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 1, 2008
            It feels like we've lost a member of the family. And I guess we have.
            Rest in peace Lee. We had plans to play music together online but now
            I'll just listen to your banjo and imagine how it may have been. :-(

            - Michael

            ----------

            At 07:38 AM 8/2/2008, you wrote:

            >Very sad news to share.
            >
            >Lee Baber died last night. She had been battling lung cancer for
            >several months. She was a vibrant part of many online communities
            >including the Webheads, EdTechTalk, Webcast Academy, & Youthbridges.
            >She was a tenacious learner and experimenter and very generous
            >teacher, guide, and friend.
            >
            >We have started an online memorial at
            ><http://edtechtalk.com/lee_baber>http://edtechtalk.com/lee_baber
            >and will be putting together several online events to honor her life.
            >
            >With a great sense of sadness and loss,
            >Jeff

            >8/1/2008 6:59 PM

          • Aiden Yeh
            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 1, 2008
              You're right Michael. Oh, this is sooo sad. When I received your email, and just looking at the title, I had that gut feeling that this is going to be a sad news. But I was hoping that it wouldn't be because how could it be- she looks (seems odd to talk to her in the past tense) young and healthy in all the webshots that we've got. and the music- yes, we've got lots. Michael- the troubadour, Jane- drummer, and Lee- a music genius. In her projects, one could feel her love for music. Just look at her podcasts. Her work will continue to inspire me- and I hope others as well.

              Aiden

              At 07:38 AM 8/2/2008, you wrote:

              >Very sad news to share.
              >
              >Lee Baber died last night. She had been battling lung cancer for
              >several months. She was a vibrant part of many online communities
              >including the Webheads, EdTechTalk, Webcast Academy, & Youthbridges.
              >She was a tenacious learner and experimenter and very generous
              >teacher, guide, and friend.
              >
              >We have started an online memorial at
              ><http://edtechtalk. com/lee_baber>http://edtechtalk. com/lee_baber
              >and will be putting together several online events to honor her life.
              >
              >With a great sense of sadness and loss,
              >Jeff

              >8/1/2008 6:59 PM

            • Elderbob
              Message 6 of 17 , Aug 2, 2008
                If there is a heaven,...tonight it has a new banjo picker. There will also
                soon be webcasting from "that better place".

                This is shocking news to me as well. I worked with Lee earlier this year
                and she never let on the seriousness of her illness, preferring instead to
                help others. And helping others was Lee's main goal in life. She was an
                ultra-talented person and there are but a few of us here, who were not
                touched by her in some way. But the one's that will suffer the most from
                her absence will be her future students....all the kids that will never get
                to feel Lee's loving, educational touch.

                It's times like these that I try to tell people to gather those living
                around them, together, to let them know how much you care about them,
                because you never know when the time will come that those you care about
                will not be around. Let your friends and family know how deeply you
                appreciate them today....I think Lee would want it that way.

                Good bye, Lee

                elderbob

                Helping folks understand that it's never too late to become all they ever
                wanted to become.

                This email is: [X] bloggable [ ] ask first [ ] private

                On Fri, Aug 1, 2008 at 9:07 PM, Aiden Yeh <aidenyeh@...> wrote:

                > You're right Michael. Oh, this is sooo sad. When I received your email,
                > and just looking at the title, I had that gut feeling that this is going to
                > be a sad news. But I was hoping that it wouldn't be because how could it be-
                > she looks (seems odd to talk to her in the past tense) young and healthy in
                > all the webshots that we've got. and the music- yes, we've got lots.
                > Michael- the troubadour, Jane- drummer, and Lee- a music genius. In her
                > projects, one could feel her love for music. Just look at her podcasts. Her
                > work will continue to inspire me- and I hope others as well.
                >
                > Aiden
                >
                > --- On Sat, 8/2/08, Michael Coghlan <michaelc@...<michaelc%40chariot.net.au>>
                > wrote:
                >
                > From: Michael Coghlan <michaelc@... <michaelc%40chariot.net.au>
                > >
                > Subject: Re: [evonline2002_webheads] Lee Baber
                > To: evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com<evonline2002_webheads%40yahoogroups.com>
                > Date: Saturday, August 2, 2008, 9:53 AM
                >

                > It feels like we've lost a member of the family. And I guess we have.
                > Rest in peace Lee. We had plans to play music together online but now
                > I'll just listen to your banjo and imagine how it may have been. :-(
                >
                > - Michael
                >
                > ----------
                >
                > At 07:38 AM 8/2/2008, you wrote:
                >
                > >Very sad news to share.
                > >
                > >Lee Baber died last night. She had been battling lung cancer for
                > >several months. She was a vibrant part of many online communities
                > >including the Webheads, EdTechTalk, Webcast Academy, & Youthbridges.
                > >She was a tenacious learner and experimenter and very generous
                > >teacher, guide, and friend.
                > >
                > >We have started an online memorial at
                > ><http://edtechtalk. com/lee_baber>http://edtechtalk. com/lee_baber
                > >and will be putting together several online events to honor her life.
                > >
                > >With a great sense of sadness and loss,
                > >Jeff

                > >8/1/2008 6:59 PM

              • Susana Canelo
                Message 7 of 17 , Aug 2, 2008
                  Dear Elderbob:
                  you're absolutely right.
                  I pray for her soul , she doesn't need my prays anyway. And I pray for her family and close friends.
                  We feel like somebody of our family has left. I'll tell my family how much I care, they know that,but I'm need to make it sure.
                  A hug from Argentina
                  Susana

                  Message 8 of 17 , Aug 2, 2008
                    Dear Jeff,

                    Though very sad news, thanks for letting us know. Our extended Webhead
                    family is very saddened and smaller today. May Lee rest in peace and,
                    wherever she is, continue to see what the Webheads do throughout the world,
                    starting with the World CALL Conference in Japan in the next few days.

                    Hugs all, Teresa
                  • Hala Fawzi
                    Message 9 of 17 , Aug 2, 2008
                      Elderbob,

                      Your words brought tears to my eyes!

                       I have seen Lee's name, photos, and soul, in many webheads' platforms. I  hope that she died peacefully and I wish her family strength to come over these moments.The death of ones you know, no matter how strong one is, presents many challenges for us to face.

                      The  death of a webhead indeed brings sadness to the whole webheads family.

                      "The Lord gives, and the Lord takes away; Blessed by the Name
                      of the Lord."

                      Hala

                      Message 10 of 17 , Aug 2, 2008
                        Hello all from Seoul,

                        Saddened to hear of the death of a most excellent webhead and
                        worldbridger.

                        Paul Allison reports that there is a memorial here:
                        http://edtechtalk.com/comment/reply/3242

                        And that they'll be remembering Lee on this weeks Teachers Teaching
                        Teachers. 9:00pm Eastern / 6:00pm Pacific USA Wednesday / 01:00 UTC
                        Thursday

                        I'll be in Fukuoka tomorrow evening.

                        Love to all the community, where each person is integral and valued
                        Vance
                      • Jane Petring
                        Message 11 of 17 , Aug 2, 2008
                          I'm shocked, saddened, dumbfounded...I had no idea Lee was battling
                          cancer. She was a vibrant webhead and such an enthusastic musician.

                          Ironically, I was listening to the Anthropology of YouTube when I
                          scrolled down to Jeff's message, and then to so many more messages as
                          people have written in their condolences. I'm thankful to be part of a
                          network that can put me in touch with such fabulous people, and so
                          sorry to lose any part of that network.

                          Jane

                          --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "jefflebow"
                          <jefflebow@...> wrote:

                          > Very sad news to share.
                          >
                          > Lee Baber died last night. She had been battling lung cancer for
                          > several months. She was a vibrant part of many online communities
                          > including the Webheads, EdTechTalk, Webcast Academy, & Youthbridges.
                          > She was a tenacious learner and experimenter and very generous
                          > teacher, guide, and friend.
                          >
                          > We have started an online memorial at http://edtechtalk.com/lee_baber
                          > and will be putting together several online events to honor her life.
                          >
                          > With a great sense of sadness and loss,
                          > Jeff

                        • Candace Pauchnick
                          Message 12 of 17 , Aug 4, 2008
                            Since I have been out of touch with involvement with the Webheads for a long time I really didn't know Lee Baber but just reading everyone's posted messages shows me what a truly selfless, caring and gifted person she was. I wish I had personally had exchanges with her and gotten to know her. I warms my heart to see all the people who knew her collect together and create a memorial in her honor.  This show me how much of a loving family the Webheads really are even though people are spread out all over the world and most have not met face to face. I think Michael Wesch, the anthropologist who made the 55 min. video everyone is talking about, would have to agree that true bonding can take place on the Internet with special people. The Webheads have proven this and I believe all of you are truly great people in all ways.
                            My prayers for peace and comfort go out for Lee's family.
                            Candace Pauchnick

                            Message 13 of 17 , Aug 4, 2008
                              From Candance 's posting I learned the passing away of Lee Baber. I have followed 'evonline2002' for years and Lee's name is familiar to me.Her passing  is a great loss to the webhead community and a loss to all the e-teachers in the world.
                              My condolence goes to Lee's family.
                              Yaodong

                              Message 14 of 17 , Aug 5, 2008
                                Folks,

                                I had been volunteering my Second Life skills for Lee on a project for the
                                past seven months or so and she was always upbeat about her illness and
                                carried on producing great stuff with me during that period. Occasionally
                                she would disappear for a few days, but she always bounced back and got on
                                with things. Sad to say I was away on holiday when she finally succumbed to
                                the illness, but I will have fond memories of her humour, resilience and
                                creativity and a little regret that we now won't get to finish a project she
                                had thrown herself in to.

                                Gavin

                                Message 15 of 17 , Aug 5, 2008
                                  I have just come back from a prolonged weekend in the countryside and was
                                  shocked at this very sad and unexpected loss. Lee and I collaborated,
                                  supported and scaffolded each other on Skype on many occasions both with
                                  the kids or when setting up and exploring learning environments. She
                                  shared with her friends her enthusiasm, her creativity and musical talent,
                                  like when she played the banjo from Second Life straight into the conference
                                  room at the end of the keynote in New Orleans (has anyone got the SL
                                  screenshots on Flickr?) or when leading this year's EVO session.
                                  I will miss her dearly but know and am happy that her suffering is over. We
                                  will all remember her and she will continue inspiring all those who were
                                  lucky to meet her and work with her. May she rest in peace.
                                  Warm regards from Brazil,
                                  Bee

                                  --
                                  Barbara Dieu
                                  http://dekita.org

                                • Graham Stanley
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Aug 6, 2008
                                    Just got access to the Internet after a number of days without connection in
                                    the UK and I too am shocked and saddened to hear the news about Lee. She was
                                    such a kind and generous hearted soul - I will always remember her patience
                                    and help with a number of projects, especially during the EVO Podcasting
                                    session in 2006 and the webcast academy sessions - she always had time to
                                    help out and was truly a wonderful, innovative educator. I will miss her
                                    very much, but know that she will be remembered by so many of us and will
                                    continue to inspire.

                                    Graham
                                    At 10:08 PM +0000 8/1/08, jefflebow wrote:
                                    >Very sad news to share.
                                    >
                                    >Lee Baber died last night. She had been battling lung cancer for
                                    >several months. She was a vibrant part of many online communities
                                    >including the Webheads, EdTechTalk, Webcast Academy, & Youthbridges.
                                    >She was a tenacious learner and experimenter and very generous
                                    >teacher, guide, and friend.
                                    >
                                    >We have started an online memorial at http://edtechtalk.com/lee_baber
                                    >and will be putting together several online events to honor her life.
                                    >
                                    >With a great sense of sadness and loss,
                                    >Jeff

                                  • (Seyyedeh) Susan Marandi
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Aug 7, 2008
                                      Dear all,

                                      Being behind on my correspondence, as usual, I didn't find the time to
                                      say until now how sorry and shocked I was to hear of Lee's passing
                                      away. I had met Lee thru the EVO sessions, and found her to be a true
                                      Webhead in spirit: generous with her time and knowledge, patient and
                                      kind, and lots of fun. But she was so energetic and full of life that
                                      I never would have guessed she was ill! My heart goes out to her
                                      family and to those of you who were close to her.

                                      Following what Elderbob said about letting your family and dear ones
                                      know how much you love them, I also felt I would like to tell you all
                                      (as my virtual family!) how much I love you all! It is due to you that
                                      I am at WorldCALL 2008 in Japan today, and I can't tell you how much it
                                      means to me. So thanks again all!

                                      Love and health to you all,
                                      Susan Marandi @>---;-
                                      Iranian Webhead