Re: [evonline2002_webheads] Plurk and the Plurkshop

  • GLENN VANCE STEVENS
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 29, 2008
      I'd really like to join in here but it seems that at some point while i was on holiday in Uzbekistan someone in the UAE cracked down on my VPN and on return I find that I'm dead in the water here in Abu Dhabi.  I can't get on Twitter or Plurk, Flickr no longer works, no Ning ... even Yahoo Messenger seems to have been impacted by a proxy server I'm now forced to use.  If I can't fix this it's going to be a lonnnnnng year.

      Skype is working, Pownce has always been allowed as have numerous photosharing sites just not Flickr, and Hellotxt works so I may have been able to post to Twitter and Plurk today through that (can't see replies though; even Crowdstatus is not working for me now).  Diigo and Del.icio.us are also ok.  Social BOOKmarking appears to be within the moral constraints of what is allowed in the UAE, but social networking is being strongly disapproved here.

      This will surely impact a generation developing under such strictures while the rest of the world becomes conversant with the latest trends in Internet access and utilization.  It would also impact the viability of professionals trying to work here which has implications for those who thrive on interacting through networks.

      Meanwhile, I'm going to have to take stronger steps to try to sidestep the restrictions here. Would anyone have any suggestions for finding the most viable proxies?

      As for Plurk, I was really enjoying it while I had the chance.  It is as Graham says a really social networking tool.  In ways it's potentially time consumingly social but if that can be overcome and people can get down to business, just as in any meeting f2f or online, there are some great features there, such as the media embedding that Nick Peachey notes in his plurk tutorial (first item here: http://del.icio.us/vancestevens/plurk

      Maybe I can join in from Korea. I'll be there in a few days on my way to Japan.

      What other webheads will be in Fukuoka?  I'll send around an email when I get a moment and see what we can organize, or if there is organization going on in the spaces I can't reach, please YOU send an email and let us know what's up.

      From: Graham Stanley
      To: learningwithcomputers@yahoogroups.com, evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 09:34:57 +0200
      Subject: [evonline2002_webheads] Plurk and the Plurkshop

      Hi everyone,

      Sorry for cross-posting

      Plurk, the micro-blogging tool that has been mentioned here several times,
      continues to gain followers and is starting to be used in interesting ways.

      Take, for example, the plurkshop (plurk + workshop). Here's an example: http://www.plurk.com/p/1vohp It looks a little like a cross between a text chat and a blog entry (hey!
      that's what micro blogging is all about, right?) and is something that works
      well in Plurk and really doesn't seem to be possible with the other micro
      blogging tools (I think) - they seem to be running plurkshops as synchronous
      events, but there's nothing to stop them being held asynchronously, over the
      course of a week for example.

      Anyone interested in holding our own plurkshop to try it out? Here's one
      I've started that I'm going to use to collect ideas about plurk - you're
      more than welcome to add your own comments to: http://www.plurk.com/p/1w0mf Regards,

      Graham http://blog-efl.blogspot.com http://www.plurk.com/user/bcgstanley

      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 30, 2008
        Hi folks,

        Just to follow up, it seems I spoke too soon by blaming my problems on
        sinister forces working behind my back. One thing I really like about the
        UAE is that it's a small place so people are helpful, and if you call the
        service provider you can expect to speak to a human who is very patient with
        technical support. I did that yesterday before writing what I did below,
        and was given proxy addresses to try out, but when I discovered late last
        night I couldn't even FTP I called back this morning. This time the
        technician stuck with me, offered other proxies to try, massaged settings
        from where he was, and eventually got me back online with a direct
        connection, no proxy needed.

        But still I wasn't getting email, ftp, or tappedin, nor was I able to
        connect via my VPN so the technician suggested I call the service center for
        my wireless router. He said the router has its own firewall that sometimes
        plays up. That's when I got the idea to switch the router off and on again,
        that solved the problem right away, and things are working fine after that.

        So my apologies to my hosts for suggesting that they were tightening up by
        taking steps backwards and sending everyone in the UAE through Proxy servers
        as in the past. This turns out to be not the case. However, they still
        route traffic through their own filters here and block social networking
        sites like Plurk, Twitter, and Ning (strange considering that SMS and mobile
        phones that detect each other's bluetooth connections are widely used here
        as acceptable forms of social networking; far less transparent than
        Twitter).

        I get around these through VPN, but what I said about a generation that is
        being disadvantaged through not becoming familiar with these tools still
        holds true. For professionals working here who make the effort to access
        the tools they need, there need not be constraints, but the problem is that
        the mileu of teaching professionals in the UAE are not making that effort,
        and are unaware or prefer to ignore that they should. Therefore lack of
        knowledge about the latest uses of Internet tools is common denominator here
        and mediocrity becomes the norm, since teachers are not expected to explore
        what is not allowed in most educational settings. And therefore they don't
        teach the kids about multiliteracies, and therefore there is a suppression
        of vital knowledge and skills that suffuses the nation, and blissful lack of
        awareness that there is any problem (people who rant like I do are politely
        ignored or less politely marginalized).

        Fortunately for me, there is my lifesaving distributed learning network /
        COP ...oh, and I left some comments in the Plurkshop ;-)

        Vance

        ps thanks Nina for sending around the email with the WorldCALL blog and wiki
        addresses. Don't forget to TAG blog posts!!