Re: [evonline2002_webheads] Wiziq Practice - Report

  • GLENN VANCE STEVENS
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 29, 2008
      Somewhere between Samarkand and Dubai I heard this On the Media podcast about someone who surely is a Webhead precursor.  Like many artists I was familiar with a little of his work but didn't know his name: Tony Schwartz
      http://www.onthemedia.org/episodes/2008/06/27/segments/102446

      When I listened to the recording I thought of Michael and how he relates to sound, to voice, and there was a part in there where Tony was patching people in using phone lines and whatever else worked in order to share voices and the essential human experience with real people around the world.  That got me thinking of John (Hibbs), which is why I'm replying to this post.

      I think it's worth a listen to remind us how people formed bonds over a distance at a time when they didn't have the tools we have now, but what they were trying to accomplish, what they felt compelled to do, was precisely what we are doing now through Webheads and more sophisticated social networking sites, especially those involving voice contact.

      Speaking of On the Media, Brooke Gladstone said something really profound, about kids who lock themselves in their rooms and then become heros and stars in virtual spaces ...

      "But then you read the stories about people whose actual lives are just no fun at all. And it's really time that we live in, not space. So why can't these virtual mental spaces be regarded as legitimate spaces, the same as spending time in the garden?" (italics mine, complete transcript: http://www.onthemedia.org/transcripts/2008/05/30/01)

      I might have to microblog this: http://vancestevens.tumblr.com/

      Reflectively?reflexively?

      From: John Hibbs
      To: evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2008 11:03:43 -0700
      Subject: Re: [evonline2002_webheads] Wiziq Practice - Report

      As Michael can tell you from the early days of Global Learn Day, we
      experienced this a LOT. The only time we got "resolution' was through
      use of the ordinary telephone and/or Skype and/or broadband
      connectivity coupled to good audio providers -- we tried them all.

      In cases where the ordinary telephone or Skype or there are
      connectivity issues, I have found that a reliable text chat room
      serves most needs very well. Even when the voice arrives 90 seconds
      after it left the tongue, the chat room is still a good place for
      lively "conversations" -- not to mention the transcripts.

      But of course most of the above comments are not unlike the village
      idiot telling the Pope how to run the Mass. On the planet Earth, no
      group that I know of knows more about virtual conference than
      Webheads.

      Vance--- I have been following your posts carefully. Please keep them up.