greetings from samarkand

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 21, 2008
      Hi dear webheads,

      Bobbi and I are staying in Samarkand with our extended family in
      their very basic accommodations behind Bibi Ghanem mosque in the
      ancient capital of Tamerlane. Our in-laws are doing their best to
      make us as comfortable as possible in the heat of summer here where
      a/c is as rare as a cup of coffee in this land of chai (they even
      made us coffee from beans from Dubai, the first real coffee we've had
      in the past few weeks).

      It turns out that Java is also rare here but I was able to get
      someone in an internet cafe here to download and install it for me
      using his admin password so that I could join Claire and Dennis and
      Tom Levesque at Tappedin yesterday. That process took about an hour
      (half that time for the download).

      I'm not sure I will repeat this feat next week when I expect to be
      back in Tashkent. The following week I should be in Seoul Korea (2nd
      son just started teaching English there) on my way to Fukuoka
      (WorldCALL) and I hope to be able to get back to Tappedin then,
      Sunday noon GMT.

      If anyone in the chats the past few weeks has a transcript would you
      be so kind as to send it to Sedat at sakayoglu@... so that he
      can post them and I and all of us can have access.

      Looking forward to seeing more of you at Sunday chats in the near
      future and interacting more fully in the usual spaces from August on.