Feb 1-8: Tapped In

    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 31, 2002
      Hi everyone,

      Our topic for this next week is Tapped In. Tapped In is the home of a very friendly and helpful community of educators with funding for an excellent website. What we know about it now and learn about it as we work will be posted here:
      http://www.vancestevens.com/papers/evonline2002/week2.htm
      http://lightning.prohosting.com/~vstevens/papers/evonline2002/week2.htm

      Here are some urls to get you started:
      Logging on first time: http://www.vancestevens.com/findbuds.htm#tappedin
      Becoming a member: http://www.tappedin.sri.com/info/membership.html

      Like everything else in Webheads, becoming a member is optional, but members enjoy benefits worth having and you can't beat the price! (free).

      Once you're in, check out the schedule to find other Webheads there; better yet! offer to host an hour each week yourself:
      http://www.vancestevens.com/papers/evonline2002/schedule.htm
      http://lightning.prohosting.com/~vstevens/papers/evonline2002/schedule.htm

      And as with anything we try out for the first time, there is going to be a certain amount of troubleshooting. Fortunately, we have some sharpshooting troubleshooters among us. Any ideas on why Ismail should get the messages he does? And if he does need to use telnet, how should he go about it?

      Ismail Fayed wrote:

      > Vance wrote:
      >
      > "Finally, I'm curious, Ismail, did you ever get into Tapped In? I met Ismail Monday night and tried to help him in, but I couldn't get in either and then I had to go to dinner. He was glad to see it wasn't just him! But Ismail, did you ever crack it?".......
      >
      > Thanks Vance for your great comments and valuable issues you raised in this email. First, I guess I have a problem in my server connection as Keiko also mentioned before, since I am using a LAN connection with proxy. Each time I try Tapped in there is this message "Need telnet connection!".. I wonder what this message means or requires me to do ??
    • Jane Pringle
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 31, 2002
        Hello Vance and everybody, Although I introduced myself to the group when I first joined, and I've been entranced reading all of your email banter... this is my first 'real' response to the group. I have just left Tapped In. It was great! I met up with ShunI and we chatted in the cafe. Then we joined KeikoS and PhilB. We went to a classroom for some quiet and privacy..(it said that the scent of 30 sweaty students permeated the air, but I didn't think it was too bad!) We chatted about our various interests. Phil showed us an interesting website that he's involved with. We toured around that. Then wrapped up our visit with drinks! It was a very pleasant, informative and interesting time!
        I think that this is the first of many visits to the friends and colleagues at Tapped In! My initial impression is good.... I hope to meet more of you there!
        I noticed that the others had icons by their names, so my next task will be to attach one to my own name... so by the time I meet you all there, I hope I will have succeeded in this task!

        Until then, Jane (groups name: janewaycanada
        tapped in: JanePr)

        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 1, 2002
          Hi everyone,

          I'm adding a lot of your comments to the cybertours page. It makes a great archive.
          http://www.vancestevens.com/papers/evonline2002/cybertours.htm
          http://lightning.prohosting.com/~vstevens/papers/evonline2002/cybertours.htm

          Nice to see that so many are getting to know each other online.

          Vance