Re: Are Google Docs Wikis?

  • lewirgo
    Message 1 of 21 , Jun 30, 2008
      Hi,

      Thank you all for your explanation. The point is I can still use
      Google Docs to collaborate. My students can still at the same time
      peer review a document. That is exactly what wiki means to do.

      Do you think so?

      Long - VN

      --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, Moira Hunter
      <moira_hunter2005@...> wrote:

      > Hi Bee,
      >
      > It's been sitting on my taskbar for some time and I use it a lot.
      Some of the advanced features need some time to sort out, or at least
      to get my head around them, but it is excellent and my students use it
      for their research papers.

      http://webheads.infoYahoo!
      > Groups Links

    • Carla arena
      Message 2 of 21 , Jul 1, 2008
        Hi, Long,

        You might want to take a look at this discussion we had last year about
        using google docs and wikis for collaboration.

        It's a very interesting thread.

        I hope it helps. and let us know how it goes.

        Carla

        On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 10:13 PM, lewirgo <lewirgo@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > Thank you all for your explanation. The point is I can still use
        > Google Docs to collaborate. My students can still at the same time
        > peer review a document. That is exactly what wiki means to do.
        >
        > Do you think so?
        >
        > Long - VN
        >
        > .

      • Ismail
        Message 3 of 21 , Jul 1, 2008
          Thanks Bee,

          It is a good addition to my firefox browser. Google new services are
          promising in all fields. No wonder that the "G" is planning to
          dominate it all. :)

          Ismail

          > Ismail,
          > Have you tried Zotero? Zotero [zoh-TAIR-oh] is a free, easy-to-use
          > Firefox extension to help you collect, manage, and cite your research
          > sources. It lives right where you do your work — in the web browser
          > itself.
          > http://www.zotero.org/
          >
          > Warm regards,
          > Bee
          >

          > --
          > Barbara Dieu
          > http://dekita.org
          > http://beewebhead.net

        • Nelba
          Message 4 of 21 , Jul 2, 2008
            Hi, Webheads:
            Great debate if Google docs are wikis or not. I don't think they are wikis because wikis are a kind of websites.

            I would like to ask B what is her experience with "Google Apps Education Edition"
            I was asked to compile students' writings in an on-line magazine. I am doubting whether to use a blog or a wiki or any other tool. Any suggentions, friends?

            Thank you.
            Hugs from Argentina!

            Nelba Quintana
            becada (http://wc3scholar.info/)  para asistir al Congreso
            "Uso de la Tecnología en la Enseñanza y Aprendizaje de Idiomas"
            Fukuoka- Japón / Julio 2008

          • Joao Carlos Alves
            Message 5 of 21 , Jul 2, 2008
              Hi Nelba,

              It seems to me that a wiki would be appropriate for that.

              Joao
              --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, Nelba <nelbaq@...> wrote:

              > Hi, Webheads:
              > Great debate if Google docs are wikis or not. I don't think they are
              wikis because wikis are a kind of websites.

              > I would like to ask B what is her experience with "Google Apps
              Education Edition"
              > I was asked to compile students' writings in an on-line magazine. I am
              doubting whether to use a blog or a wiki or any other tool. Any
              suggentions, friends?

              > Thank you.
              > Hugs from Argentina!
              >

              > Nelba Quintana
              > becada (http://wc3scholar.info/) para asistir al Congreso
              > "Uso de la Tecnología en la Enseñanza y Aprendizaje de
              Idiomas"
              > Fukuoka- Japón / Julio 2008

            • lewirgo
              Message 6 of 21 , Jul 2, 2008
                Hi Carla,

                Thank you so much for the thread. So, if Google Docs are not wikis,
                what are they then in the CMC continuum? websites, email, blogs, wiki,
                chat, .......? Can anyone give them a name?

                I also think that google docs are not wikis. But, they have a similar
                function of collaboration. The main difference may be that while
                ANYONE can collaborate in wiki, google docs allow selected people to
                work with.

                Long - VN

                --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "Carla arena"
                <carlaarena@...> wrote:

                > Hi, Long,
                >
                > You might want to take a look at this discussion we had last year about
                > using google docs and wikis for collaboration.
                >
                > It's a very interesting thread.
                >
                > I hope it helps. and let us know how it goes.
                >
                > Carla
                >
                > On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 10:13 PM, lewirgo <lewirgo@...> wrote:
                >
                > > Hi,
                > >
                > > Thank you all for your explanation. The point is I can still use
                > > Google Docs to collaborate. My students can still at the same time
                > > peer review a document. That is exactly what wiki means to do.
                > >
                > > Do you think so?
                > >
                > > Long - VN
                > >
                > > .

              • Noreen Sullivan
                Message 7 of 21 , Jul 2, 2008
                  Google docs are wikis. They are programed as wiki's. All wiki's have
                  settings that not everyone
                  can collaborate on. The intention when they were programed was wiki attached
                  to mail. My
                  friend at google labs worked on them.

                  On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 6:08 PM, lewirgo <lewirgo@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Carla,
                  >
                  > Thank you so much for the thread. So, if Google Docs are not wikis,
                  > what are they then in the CMC continuum? websites, email, blogs, wiki,
                  > chat, .......? Can anyone give them a name?
                  >
                  > I also think that google docs are not wikis. But, they have a similar
                  > function of collaboration. The main difference may be that while
                  > ANYONE can collaborate in wiki, google docs allow selected people to
                  > work with.
                  >
                  > Long - VN
                  >
                  > --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com<evonline2002_webheads%40yahoogroups.com>,
                  > "Carla arena"
                  > <carlaarena@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Hi, Long,
                  > >
                  > > You might want to take a look at this discussion we had last year about
                  > > using google docs and wikis for collaboration.
                  > >
                  > > It's a very interesting thread.
                  > >
                  > > I hope it helps. and let us know how it goes.
                  > >
                  > > Carla
                  > >
                  > > On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 10:13 PM, lewirgo <lewirgo@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > > Hi,
                  > > >
                  > > > Thank you all for your explanation. The point is I can still use
                  > > > Google Docs to collaborate. My students can still at the same time
                  > > > peer review a document. That is exactly what wiki means to do.
                  > > >
                  > > > Do you think so?
                  > > >
                  > > > Long - VN
                  > > >
                  > > > .

                • lewirgo
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jul 2, 2008
                    Hi Norren,

                    Thanks for your confirmation. At least, there is somebody agreeing
                    with me about this -:). I'm examining if collaboration through wiki is
                    linguistically better than f2f one.

                    Is anyone doing the same?

                    Long - VN

                    --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "Noreen Sullivan"
                    <noreen.sullivan@...> wrote:

                    > Google docs are wikis. They are programed as wiki's. All wiki's have
                    > settings that not everyone
                    > can collaborate on. The intention when they were programed was wiki
                    attached
                    > to mail. My
                    > friend at google labs worked on them.
                    >
                    > On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 6:08 PM, lewirgo <lewirgo@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > > Hi Carla,
                    > >
                    > > Thank you so much for the thread. So, if Google Docs are not wikis,
                    > > what are they then in the CMC continuum? websites, email, blogs, wiki,
                    > > chat, .......? Can anyone give them a name?
                    > >
                    > > I also think that google docs are not wikis. But, they have a similar
                    > > function of collaboration. The main difference may be that while
                    > > ANYONE can collaborate in wiki, google docs allow selected people to
                    > > work with.
                    > >
                    > > Long - VN
                    > >
                    > > --- In
                    evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com<evonline2002_webheads%40yahoogroups.com>,
                    > > "Carla arena"
                    > > <carlaarena@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > Hi, Long,
                    > > >
                    > > > You might want to take a look at this discussion we had last
                    year about
                    > > > using google docs and wikis for collaboration.
                    > > >
                    > > > It's a very interesting thread.
                    > > >
                    > > > I hope it helps. and let us know how it goes.
                    > > >
                    > > > Carla

                  • cristina costa
                    Message 9 of 21 , Jul 3, 2008
                      IMHO, I don't see google docs as wikis. they might offer some of the wiki features/functionalities, but in the end google docs are just a web-based document application, which offers the posibility to collaborativelly create a word doc, a spreadsheet and/or a slide presentation.

                      And also - but this is just my opinion, I would use google docs for instance to work on something more restricted - like a joint paper, and I would use a wiki for something more open where more individuals come together and may need to use a wider variety of applications, widgets, etc which can easly be embedded there. In that sense I would say, I would use google docs for backstage work/ preparation of simpler tasks, and wikis for ongoing projects whoseprocess shouild be shared with its members and also with he wider community. Wikis' presentations features are also more appealing to the end user, I would say, in case we are aiming at creating a resource others can later (re)use.

                      just my 2 cents.

                      Cris

                    • Elizabeth Hanson-Smith
                      Message 10 of 21 , Jul 6, 2008
                        Long--
                        Other wikis restrict membership, e.g., by having a "key" that may be
                        given only to those selected.
                        Not all wikis are open to anyone, so that isn't a distinguishing
                        feature of a wiki.
                        Cheers--
                        --Elizabeth

                        --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "lewirgo" <lewirgo@...>