Re: Slideboom and sound

  • Anne Fox
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 4, 2008
      A new verb is born! I have also i-springed but I don't get the sound.
      Perhaps I have to have a Mac!
      Anne
      --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, Michael Shade

      http://blog.michalska.net/2008/04/la-identidad-3.html
      > , where you can also see the result. I haven't yet got round to
      the
      > fuller discussion I threatened then!
      >
      > Regards,
      >
      > Michael
      > --------------------
      > Michael Shade
      > michael@...
      > http://www.michalska.net
      > http://blog.michalska.net/
      > http://sanmiguelbajo.pbwiki.com/
      >
      > On 4 Jun 2008, at 10:59, Anne Fox wrote:
      >
      > > I am experimenting with Slideboom, the presentation tool, but am
      > > having
      > > trouble incorporating audio. I wonder if anybody has any
      experience
      > > with this?
      > >
      > > I chose Slideboom (www.slideboom.com ) over slideshare because
      > > slideboom takes the animations as well so I can add more
      pedagogical
      > > effects, emphasising certain areas of the page or building up a
      > > diagram
      > > step by step.
      > >
      > > They say that it is possible to include sound but I haven't been
      able
      > > to manage this. I have pasted in a sound file and even when I
      carry
      > > the
      > > PPT and the sound file in the same folder, the sound just doesn't
      come
      > > with the PPT. I don't want to use the record option because the
      sound
      > > file is a recording of someone else.
      > >
      > > I have noticed that links are active only sometimes for example
      yes in
      > > Moodle but no in Fronter, when you embed the presentation.

    • Anne Fox
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 4, 2008
        Oops! I have just discovered that everything works fine as long as
        you keep to the recommended PPT file. I was inadvertantly producing
        pptx files using the new PPT2007 and this must have been what was
        wrong as I've just tried it at home now where I only have PPT2003.

        I imagined that if I used the wrong file that I would get an error
        message but I didn't. Thanks for letting me know that it can be done.
        Regards
        Anne
        --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "Anne Fox" <af@...>
        wrote:

        > A new verb is born! I have also i-springed but I don't get the
        sound.
        > Perhaps I have to have a Mac!
        > Anne
        > --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, Michael Shade
        > <m.shade@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Anne,
        > >
        > > I started using Slideboom a few weeks back, like you because it
        > keeps
        > > the slide animations. And like you, I wanted to incorporate the
        > audio
        > > - and video - clips in my original f2f presentation, and the only
        > way
        > > I have found to do this so far is via iSpring, which someone
        > mentioned
        > > here. I'm using Mac OS X so there were additional complications,
        > but
        > > Slideboom itself works fine once you've 'iSpringed' your file.
        > >
        > > I wrote a brief account in my blog:
        > http://blog.michalska.net/2008/04/la-identidad-3.html
        > > , where you can also see the result. I haven't yet got round to
        > the
        > > fuller discussion I threatened then!
        > >
        > > Regards,
        > >
        > > Michael
        > > --------------------
        > > Michael Shade
        > > michael@
        > > http://www.michalska.net
        > > http://blog.michalska.net/
        > > http://sanmiguelbajo.pbwiki.com/
        > >
        > > On 4 Jun 2008, at 10:59, Anne Fox wrote:
        > >
        > > > I am experimenting with Slideboom, the presentation tool, but
        am
        > > > having
        > > > trouble incorporating audio. I wonder if anybody has any
        > experience
        > > > with this?
        > > >
        > > > I chose Slideboom (www.slideboom.com ) over slideshare because
        > > > slideboom takes the animations as well so I can add more
        > pedagogical
        > > > effects, emphasising certain areas of the page or building up
        > > > diagram
        > > > step by step.
        > > >
        > > > They say that it is possible to include sound but I haven't
        been
        > able
        > > > to manage this. I have pasted in a sound file and even when I
        > carry
        > > > the
        > > > PPT and the sound file in the same folder, the sound just
        doesn't
        > come
        > > > with the PPT. I don't want to use the record option because the
        > sound
        > > > file is a recording of someone else.
        > > >
        > > > I have noticed that links are active only sometimes for example
        > yes in
        > > > Moodle but no in Fronter, when you embed the presentation.

      • Gavin Dudeney
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 5, 2008
          Folks,

          On my recent visit to Japan I went to Waseda University in central Tokyo
          (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waseda_University ) to meet with a couple of
          lecturers who are involved in a very interesting project they set up called
          'Cross Cultural Distance Learning' in which their learners have regular
          guided video conferences with learners in other universities (solely in
          Asia, currently). The course is all planned and running, but they are
          looking for partner institutions outside of Asia who might want to get
          involved.

          At the same time they are also looking for creative contacts in the primary
          and high school sectors with which to establish working relationships. If
          anyone on this list is interested in initial contact, please get in touch
          with me and I will pass your details on.

          Thanks in advance,

          Gavin

        • Peter Benson
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 6, 2008
            Hi Gavin.

            I'd like to know more about this project.
            As you know we at Studygroup are constantly striving to improve our
            programmes and expertise.
            I'm currently participating in the Studygroup Training with Ana &
            Valentina at The Consultants-E.
            Please pass on my details.

            Thanks

            Peter

            Peter Benson
            ELP Manager
            Bellerbys College
            Manor Campus
            Arbury Rd
            Cambridge
            CB4 JF2
            Tel: 01223-517040
            Fax:01223-517038

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 6, 2008
              Gavin,

              I have been involved with this project for the past two years now, and still going on. The course, World Englishes and Miscommunications II, is offered to undergraduates and as of last year, there are about 5 universities in Asia who have been participating in video conferences and asynchronous discussions. The course ends with a face-to-face meeting in Singapore with participating professors and 3 selected students from all participating unis. This meeting is actually a week-long seminar where students attend lectures and discussions. During this time, they also engage in a collaborative task project which they need to present on the last day of the seminar. Professors are expected to write reports, do lectures, and write articles on the topic (WE). Hotel accommodations (not airfare) for students are all paid by the Cross-Cultural Distance Learning sponsors organized by Waseda University- teachers are well taken care of as well.

              I shared this project with BaWers, I think, last year http://www.slideshare.net/aidenyeh/baw2007-blended-learning

              and also at Hongkong Association of Applied Linguistics conference
              http://www.slideshare.net/aidenyeh/making-it-work-across-boundaries

              For 2008, course will begin in September. If you're interested in participating, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

              Aiden Yeh

              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 6, 2008
                Gavin, did you meet Prof. Nakano?

                Here's a written report on last year's conference in Singapore, http://www.waseda.jp/dcc/3rd/new/dcc/report_RELCseminar07.html (it's Japanese though)
                but pictures speak louder than words :-)

                Here's the website for the CCDL courses,
                http://www.waseda.jp/dcc/3rd/joint-cyber-course/index.html

                Pictures taken during last year's seminar, http://www.bubbleshare.com/album/122602/overview

                Aiden Yeh

                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 6, 2008
                  Folks,

                  From: Aiden Yeh

                  "I have been involved with this project for the past two years now, and
                  still going on. (.) If you're interested in participating, let me know and
                  I'll see what I can do."

                  Please note that this is not my project and I just agreed with the people at
                  Waseda that I would help them find potential partners outside the Asia area
                  for a possible widening of this project, and I don't personally want to
                  participate (as I work in teacher education these days). All I promised I
                  would do would be to put other people in contact with Prof. Nakano at Waseda
                  and you can all take it from there.

                  If you've already answered me, I will pass on your details to the people at
                  Waseda. Please let me know if anyone else is interested.

                  Gavin

                • Delin Chiao
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 6, 2008
                    Gsvin,

                       What time did it start on the project--- "Cross-cultural Distance Learning"?
                      I am interested in it.  Can you tell me in detail of the project.
                      My students will finsih thier course in this semester at the end of June. Then they willl take on leave summer vacation.
                      Until Septemeber, they will begin the second semester.   They belong to college students in technology field; however they must study English as their career tool to be a pilot after their graduation.  Therefore, I want to take an initial opportunity for exchanging cross-cultural viewpoints.
                    Delin
                    主 旨: [evonline2002_webheads] Cross-Cultural Distance Learning

[...]

                  • Squires, Robert
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 7, 2008
                      Gavin,

                      I would also be interested in discussing this program more. Here is my contact information.

                      Robert Squires

                      Assistant Director

                      English Language Institute

                      The University of Montana