Re: [evonline2002_webheads] Slideboom and sound

  • Michael Shade
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 4, 2008
      Anne,

      I started using Slideboom a few weeks back, like you because it keeps
      the slide animations. And like you, I wanted to incorporate the audio
      - and video - clips in my original f2f presentation, and the only way
      I have found to do this so far is via iSpring, which someone mentioned
      here. I'm using Mac OS X so there were additional complications, but
      Slideboom itself works fine once you've 'iSpringed' your file.

      I wrote a brief account in my blog: http://blog.michalska.net/2008/04/la-identidad-3.html
      , where you can also see the result. I haven't yet got round to the
      fuller discussion I threatened then!

      Regards,

      Michael
      --------------------
      Michael Shade
      michael@...
      http://www.michalska.net
      http://blog.michalska.net/
      http://sanmiguelbajo.pbwiki.com/

      On 4 Jun 2008, at 10:59, Anne Fox wrote:

      > I am experimenting with Slideboom, the presentation tool, but am
      > having
      > trouble incorporating audio. I wonder if anybody has any experience
      > with this?
      >
      > I chose Slideboom (www.slideboom.com ) over slideshare because
      > slideboom takes the animations as well so I can add more pedagogical
      > effects, emphasising certain areas of the page or building up a
      > diagram
      > step by step.
      >
      > They say that it is possible to include sound but I haven't been able
      > to manage this. I have pasted in a sound file and even when I carry
      > the
      > PPT and the sound file in the same folder, the sound just doesn't come
      > with the PPT. I don't want to use the record option because the sound
      > file is a recording of someone else.
      >
      > I have noticed that links are active only sometimes for example yes in
      > Moodle but no in Fronter, when you embed the presentation.

    • Anne Fox
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 4, 2008
        A new verb is born! I have also i-springed but I don't get the sound.
        Perhaps I have to have a Mac!
        Anne
        --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, Michael Shade

        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 4, 2008
          Oops! I have just discovered that everything works fine as long as
          you keep to the recommended PPT file. I was inadvertantly producing
          pptx files using the new PPT2007 and this must have been what was
          wrong as I've just tried it at home now where I only have PPT2003.

          I imagined that if I used the wrong file that I would get an error
          message but I didn't. Thanks for letting me know that it can be done.
          Regards
          Anne
          --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "Anne Fox" <af@...>
          wrote:

          > A new verb is born! I have also i-springed but I don't get the
          sound.
          > Perhaps I have to have a Mac!
          > Anne
          > --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, Michael Shade
          > <m.shade@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Anne,
          > >
          > > I started using Slideboom a few weeks back, like you because it
          > keeps
          > > the slide animations. And like you, I wanted to incorporate the
          > audio
          > > - and video - clips in my original f2f presentation, and the only
          > way
          > > I have found to do this so far is via iSpring, which someone
          > mentioned
          > > here. I'm using Mac OS X so there were additional complications,
          > but
          > > Slideboom itself works fine once you've 'iSpringed' your file.
          > >
          > > I wrote a brief account in my blog:
          > http://blog.michalska.net/2008/04/la-identidad-3.html
          > > , where you can also see the result. I haven't yet got round to
          > the
          > > fuller discussion I threatened then!
          > >
          > > Regards,
          > >
          > > Michael
          > > --------------------
          > > Michael Shade
          > > michael@
          > > http://www.michalska.net
          > > http://blog.michalska.net/
          > > http://sanmiguelbajo.pbwiki.com/
          > >
          > > On 4 Jun 2008, at 10:59, Anne Fox wrote:
          > >
          > > > I am experimenting with Slideboom, the presentation tool, but
          am
          > > > having
          > > > trouble incorporating audio. I wonder if anybody has any
          > experience
          > > > with this?
          > > >
          > > > I chose Slideboom (www.slideboom.com ) over slideshare because
          > > > slideboom takes the animations as well so I can add more
          > pedagogical
          > > > effects, emphasising certain areas of the page or building up
          > > > diagram
          > > > step by step.
          > > >
          > > > They say that it is possible to include sound but I haven't
          been
          > able
          > > > to manage this. I have pasted in a sound file and even when I
          > carry
          > > > the
          > > > PPT and the sound file in the same folder, the sound just
          doesn't
          > come
          > > > with the PPT. I don't want to use the record option because the
          > sound
          > > > file is a recording of someone else.
          > > >
          > > > I have noticed that links are active only sometimes for example
          > yes in
          > > > Moodle but no in Fronter, when you embed the presentation.

        • Gavin Dudeney
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 5, 2008
            Folks,

            On my recent visit to Japan I went to Waseda University in central Tokyo
            (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waseda_University ) to meet with a couple of
            lecturers who are involved in a very interesting project they set up called
            'Cross Cultural Distance Learning' in which their learners have regular
            guided video conferences with learners in other universities (solely in
            Asia, currently). The course is all planned and running, but they are
            looking for partner institutions outside of Asia who might want to get
            involved.

            At the same time they are also looking for creative contacts in the primary
            and high school sectors with which to establish working relationships. If
            anyone on this list is interested in initial contact, please get in touch
            with me and I will pass your details on.

            Thanks in advance,

            Gavin

          • Peter Benson
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 6, 2008
              Hi Gavin.

              I'd like to know more about this project.
              As you know we at Studygroup are constantly striving to improve our
              programmes and expertise.
              I'm currently participating in the Studygroup Training with Ana &
              Valentina at The Consultants-E.
              Please pass on my details.

              Thanks

              Peter

              Peter Benson
              ELP Manager
              Bellerbys College
              Manor Campus
              Arbury Rd
              Cambridge
              CB4 JF2
              Tel: 01223-517040
              Fax:01223-517038

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 6, 2008
                Gavin,

                I have been involved with this project for the past two years now, and still going on. The course, World Englishes and Miscommunications II, is offered to undergraduates and as of last year, there are about 5 universities in Asia who have been participating in video conferences and asynchronous discussions. The course ends with a face-to-face meeting in Singapore with participating professors and 3 selected students from all participating unis. This meeting is actually a week-long seminar where students attend lectures and discussions. During this time, they also engage in a collaborative task project which they need to present on the last day of the seminar. Professors are expected to write reports, do lectures, and write articles on the topic (WE). Hotel accommodations (not airfare) for students are all paid by the Cross-Cultural Distance Learning sponsors organized by Waseda University- teachers are well taken care of as well.

                I shared this project with BaWers, I think, last year http://www.slideshare.net/aidenyeh/baw2007-blended-learning

                and also at Hongkong Association of Applied Linguistics conference
                http://www.slideshare.net/aidenyeh/making-it-work-across-boundaries

                For 2008, course will begin in September. If you're interested in participating, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

                Aiden Yeh

                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 6, 2008
                  Gavin, did you meet Prof. Nakano?

                  Here's a written report on last year's conference in Singapore, http://www.waseda.jp/dcc/3rd/new/dcc/report_RELCseminar07.html (it's Japanese though)
                  but pictures speak louder than words :-)

                  Here's the website for the CCDL courses,
                  http://www.waseda.jp/dcc/3rd/joint-cyber-course/index.html

                  Pictures taken during last year's seminar, http://www.bubbleshare.com/album/122602/overview

                  Aiden Yeh

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 6, 2008
                    Folks,

                    From: Aiden Yeh

                    "I have been involved with this project for the past two years now, and
                    still going on. (.) If you're interested in participating, let me know and
                    I'll see what I can do."

                    Please note that this is not my project and I just agreed with the people at
                    Waseda that I would help them find potential partners outside the Asia area
                    for a possible widening of this project, and I don't personally want to
                    participate (as I work in teacher education these days). All I promised I
                    would do would be to put other people in contact with Prof. Nakano at Waseda
                    and you can all take it from there.

                    If you've already answered me, I will pass on your details to the people at
                    Waseda. Please let me know if anyone else is interested.

                    Gavin

                  • Delin Chiao
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 6, 2008
                      Gsvin,

                         What time did it start on the project--- "Cross-cultural Distance Learning"?
                        I am interested in it.  Can you tell me in detail of the project.
                        My students will finsih thier course in this semester at the end of June. Then they willl take on leave summer vacation.
                        Until Septemeber, they will begin the second semester.   They belong to college students in technology field; however they must study English as their career tool to be a pilot after their graduation.  Therefore, I want to take an initial opportunity for exchanging cross-cultural viewpoints.
                      Delin
                      主 旨: [evonline2002_webheads] Cross-Cultural Distance Learning

[...]

                    • Squires, Robert
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jun 7, 2008
                        Gavin,

                        I would also be interested in discussing this program more. Here is my contact information.

                        Robert Squires

                        Assistant Director

                        English Language Institute

                        The University of Montana