Weblins or Gremlins?

  • Moira Hunter
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 4, 2008
      Hi,

      I've been playing with Weblin, your own avatar which follows you to the sites you visit and you can see who else is watching the same page and enter into conversation with them. The purpose is to communicate with people with similar interests when on the same site but not necessarily in your contact list.

      What bothers me is that at this precise moment, I have it on and there are lots of weblins on the screen as I write this email in Yahoo. I've just checked with one and he has confirmed that anyone on Yahoo mail can see others on yahoo mail, even groups. SO, does this mean that these are all spam guys we've been seeing more and more of? Or no connection at all?

      I'm rather confused about this so any help is welcome. When I go to other sites, I'm mostly 'alone'.

      Moira (Weblin : Moi)

      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 5, 2008
        Writing this from my car on my way to a diving weekend. Don't usually seek
        connectivity on such trips so I'll send this when I get back home Saturday.

        Why don't we try this out Sunday after noon GMT. Meet at
        http://tappedin.org to coordinate the experience.

        cya there,

        > I've been playing with Weblin, your own avatar which follows you to the
        > sites you visit and you can see who else is watching the same page and
        > enter into conversation with them. The purpose is to communicate with
        > people with similar interests when on the same site but not necessarily in
        > your contact list.
        >
        > What bothers me is that at this precise moment, I have it on and there are
        > lots of weblins on the screen as I write this email in Yahoo. I've just
        > checked with one and he has confirmed that anyone on Yahoo mail can see
        > others on yahoo mail, even groups. SO, does this mean that these are all
        > spam guys we've been seeing more and more of? Or no connection at all?
        >
        > I'm rather confused about this so any help is welcome. When I go to other
        > sites, I'm mostly 'alone'.
        >

        > Moira (Weblin : Moi)

      • Moira Hunter
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 8, 2008
          Hi Vance,

          Sunday will be difficult for me but luckily, I received a private answer from them here :

          "Dear Moira,
          That is a great question, and I wanted to take the time to clarify.
          My name is Marc, and I work for weblin.

          We currently display all weblins that are on a top level domain. So
          you are correct. We are treating the entire Yahoo.com domain as one
          chat room. However, even when you might see others weblins while
          writing mails, nobody can not see the content of the page that you are
          on.  (As a matter of fact the pages are one way encrypted, and even
          weblin does not know which actual page).

          In the future we are planning on breaking it down to specific
          sub-domains. That way you would only see the weblins that are on the
          exact same site as you.

          If you don't want to see weblins on a particular page (e.g. mail),
          here is a great way to turn off weblin on that particular site:

          If you have weblin installed, you will see a small weblin icon on the
          left bottom site of your browser screen.

          Click on this icon.

          You will see on option that says: "Chat Room"

          Click on this option, and select "Leave" to put on an invisiblity
          cloak. You will not see any more weblins and others will not see you
          on this site.

          You can even click: "Leave forever" to never use weblin on this
          particular domain.

          As far as the question about Spam goes, I can insure you that weblin
          has nothing to do with any Spam program. Even though other weblins
          might be present when you write your mails, they can not see the
          content of the page, nor does anyone have access to your mails.

          Hopefully this helps to clarify."

          > I've been playing with Weblin, your own avatar which follows you to the

          > sites you visit and you can see who else is watching the same page and

          > enter into conversation with them. The purpose is to communicate with

          > people with similar interests when on the same site but not necessarily in

          > your contact list.

          > What bothers me is that at this precise moment, I have it on and there are

          > lots of weblins on the screen as I write this email in Yahoo. I've just

          > checked with one and he has confirmed that anyone on Yahoo mail can see

          > others on yahoo mail, even groups. SO, does this mean that these are all

          > spam guys we've been seeing more and more of? Or no connection at all?

          > I'm rather confused about this so any help is welcome. When I go to other

          > sites, I'm mostly 'alone'.

          > Moira (Weblin : Moi)

        • Dennis Newson
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 9, 2008
            Vance,

            Thanks very much for the Weblin report.

            One aspect that worries me is that visibilty on the Internet can also be
            disturbing, instrusive. If I'm seriously at work, for example (it can
            happen) I just have to ignore Skype chat, for example, otherwise I get
            nothing done. And mightn't there be colleagues who do not wish us to know
            where they go in cyberspace?

            Dennis aka Denos

            --
            Dennis Newson (retired)
            University of Osnabrück

          • Dennis Newson
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 9, 2008
              Vance and list,

              Have installed Weblin, but at the moment, it does not seem to start. I'll
              see and be seen around under my short, memorable name, Osnacantab. If I seem
              to be visiting a sleazy bar in Second Life, that's not me - it's an
              imposter. (As far as I could see, Weblin is a German product).

              Cheers,

              Dennis

              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 10, 2008
[...]

                certain school districts might not want to encourage use of Weblin, though I

                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 10, 2008
                  definitely true Dennis

                  I might mention that you can turn Weblin on or off (run it, stop it) at
                  will..

                  You also have the option at any point to 'leave chat' or 'leave chat for
                  ever' (sic) at any site you visit, in case you are running it and don't wish
                  to interact at that site.

                  Same as with Skype, don't run it if you need to work seriously, or make
                  yourself unavailalbe.

> [...]

                  > they thought this site was to the project they were doing, and where they
                  > were heading next. This kind of serendipitous (though quite likely)
                  > encounter might lead to some of the benefits of social networking being
                  > enjoyed by your class of students.
                  >
                  > For students in the paragraph above, substitute "members of your community
                  > of practice" and you might expand the learning horizon.
                  >
                  > I also find it interesting when visiting my own sites to see who else pops
                  > in there. So far I have no network of Weblin users so I dont' know the
                  > people I see there, and so far they seem to disappear shortly after I
                  > arrive.
                  >
                  > Beyza and I tried it out. It was kind of fun to see that she was browsing
                  > the same site I was.
                  >
                  > I can see potential here. We'd need to develop a network of users through.

                  this footer and any other extraneous text from the reply - Thanks!!Yahoo!
                  Groups Links