Slideboom and sound

  • Anne Fox
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 4, 2008
      I am experimenting with Slideboom, the presentation tool, but am having
      trouble incorporating audio. I wonder if anybody has any experience
      with this?

      I chose Slideboom (www.slideboom.com ) over slideshare because
      slideboom takes the animations as well so I can add more pedagogical
      effects, emphasising certain areas of the page or building up a diagram
      step by step.

      They say that it is possible to include sound but I haven't been able
      to manage this. I have pasted in a sound file and even when I carry the
      PPT and the sound file in the same folder, the sound just doesn't come
      with the PPT. I don't want to use the record option because the sound
      file is a recording of someone else.

      I have noticed that links are active only sometimes for example yes in
      Moodle but no in Fronter, when you embed the presentation.
    • Michael Shade
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 4, 2008
        Anne,

        I started using Slideboom a few weeks back, like you because it keeps
        the slide animations. And like you, I wanted to incorporate the audio
        - and video - clips in my original f2f presentation, and the only way
        I have found to do this so far is via iSpring, which someone mentioned
        here. I'm using Mac OS X so there were additional complications, but
        Slideboom itself works fine once you've 'iSpringed' your file.

        I wrote a brief account in my blog: http://blog.michalska.net/2008/04/la-identidad-3.html
        , where you can also see the result. I haven't yet got round to the
        fuller discussion I threatened then!

        Regards,

        Michael
        --------------------
        Michael Shade
        michael@...
        http://www.michalska.net
        http://blog.michalska.net/
        http://sanmiguelbajo.pbwiki.com/

        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 4, 2008
          A new verb is born! I have also i-springed but I don't get the sound.
          Perhaps I have to have a Mac!
          Anne
          --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, Michael Shade

          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 4, 2008
            Oops! I have just discovered that everything works fine as long as
            you keep to the recommended PPT file. I was inadvertantly producing
            pptx files using the new PPT2007 and this must have been what was
            wrong as I've just tried it at home now where I only have PPT2003.

            I imagined that if I used the wrong file that I would get an error
            message but I didn't. Thanks for letting me know that it can be done.
            Regards
            Anne
            --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "Anne Fox" <af@...>
            wrote:

            > A new verb is born! I have also i-springed but I don't get the
            sound.
            > Perhaps I have to have a Mac!
            > Anne
            > --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, Michael Shade
            > <m.shade@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Anne,
            > >
            > > I started using Slideboom a few weeks back, like you because it
            > keeps
            > > the slide animations. And like you, I wanted to incorporate the
            > audio
            > > - and video - clips in my original f2f presentation, and the only
            > way
            > > I have found to do this so far is via iSpring, which someone
            > mentioned
            > > here. I'm using Mac OS X so there were additional complications,
            > but
            > > Slideboom itself works fine once you've 'iSpringed' your file.
            > >
            > > I wrote a brief account in my blog:
            > http://blog.michalska.net/2008/04/la-identidad-3.html
            > > , where you can also see the result. I haven't yet got round to
            > the
            > > fuller discussion I threatened then!
            > >
            > > Regards,
            > >
            > > Michael
            > > --------------------
            > > Michael Shade
            > > michael@
            > > http://www.michalska.net
            > > http://blog.michalska.net/
            > > http://sanmiguelbajo.pbwiki.com/
            > >
            > > On 4 Jun 2008, at 10:59, Anne Fox wrote:
            > >
            > > > I am experimenting with Slideboom, the presentation tool, but
            am
            > > > having
            > > > trouble incorporating audio. I wonder if anybody has any
            > experience
            > > > with this?
            > > >
            > > > I chose Slideboom (www.slideboom.com ) over slideshare because
            > > > slideboom takes the animations as well so I can add more
            > pedagogical
            > > > effects, emphasising certain areas of the page or building up
            > > > diagram
            > > > step by step.
            > > >
            > > > They say that it is possible to include sound but I haven't
            been
            > able
            > > > to manage this. I have pasted in a sound file and even when I
            > carry
            > > > the
            > > > PPT and the sound file in the same folder, the sound just
            doesn't
            > come
            > > > with the PPT. I don't want to use the record option because the
            > sound
            > > > file is a recording of someone else.
            > > >
            > > > I have noticed that links are active only sometimes for example
            > yes in
            > > > Moodle but no in Fronter, when you embed the presentation.

          • Gavin Dudeney
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 5, 2008
              Folks,

              On my recent visit to Japan I went to Waseda University in central Tokyo
              (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waseda_University ) to meet with a couple of
              lecturers who are involved in a very interesting project they set up called
              'Cross Cultural Distance Learning' in which their learners have regular
              guided video conferences with learners in other universities (solely in
              Asia, currently). The course is all planned and running, but they are
              looking for partner institutions outside of Asia who might want to get
              involved.

              At the same time they are also looking for creative contacts in the primary
              and high school sectors with which to establish working relationships. If
              anyone on this list is interested in initial contact, please get in touch
              with me and I will pass your details on.

              Thanks in advance,

              Gavin

            • Peter Benson
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 6, 2008
                Hi Gavin.

                I'd like to know more about this project.
                As you know we at Studygroup are constantly striving to improve our
                programmes and expertise.
                I'm currently participating in the Studygroup Training with Ana &
                Valentina at The Consultants-E.
                Please pass on my details.

                Thanks

                Peter

                Peter Benson
                ELP Manager
                Bellerbys College
                Manor Campus
                Arbury Rd
                Cambridge
                CB4 JF2
                Tel: 01223-517040
                Fax:01223-517038

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 6, 2008
                  Gavin,

                  I have been involved with this project for the past two years now, and still going on. The course, World Englishes and Miscommunications II, is offered to undergraduates and as of last year, there are about 5 universities in Asia who have been participating in video conferences and asynchronous discussions. The course ends with a face-to-face meeting in Singapore with participating professors and 3 selected students from all participating unis. This meeting is actually a week-long seminar where students attend lectures and discussions. During this time, they also engage in a collaborative task project which they need to present on the last day of the seminar. Professors are expected to write reports, do lectures, and write articles on the topic (WE). Hotel accommodations (not airfare) for students are all paid by the Cross-Cultural Distance Learning sponsors organized by Waseda University- teachers are well taken care of as well.

                  I shared this project with BaWers, I think, last year http://www.slideshare.net/aidenyeh/baw2007-blended-learning

                  and also at Hongkong Association of Applied Linguistics conference
                  http://www.slideshare.net/aidenyeh/making-it-work-across-boundaries

                  For 2008, course will begin in September. If you're interested in participating, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

                  Aiden Yeh

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 6, 2008
                    Gavin, did you meet Prof. Nakano?

                    Here's a written report on last year's conference in Singapore, http://www.waseda.jp/dcc/3rd/new/dcc/report_RELCseminar07.html (it's Japanese though)
                    but pictures speak louder than words :-)

                    Here's the website for the CCDL courses,
                    http://www.waseda.jp/dcc/3rd/joint-cyber-course/index.html

                    Pictures taken during last year's seminar, http://www.bubbleshare.com/album/122602/overview

                    Aiden Yeh

                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 6, 2008
                      Folks,

                      From: Aiden Yeh

                      "I have been involved with this project for the past two years now, and
                      still going on. (.) If you're interested in participating, let me know and
                      I'll see what I can do."

                      Please note that this is not my project and I just agreed with the people at
                      Waseda that I would help them find potential partners outside the Asia area
                      for a possible widening of this project, and I don't personally want to
                      participate (as I work in teacher education these days). All I promised I
                      would do would be to put other people in contact with Prof. Nakano at Waseda
                      and you can all take it from there.

                      If you've already answered me, I will pass on your details to the people at
                      Waseda. Please let me know if anyone else is interested.

                      Gavin

                    • Delin Chiao
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jun 6, 2008
                        Gsvin,

                           What time did it start on the project--- "Cross-cultural Distance Learning"?
                          I am interested in it.  Can you tell me in detail of the project.
                          My students will finsih thier course in this semester at the end of June. Then they willl take on leave summer vacation.
                          Until Septemeber, they will begin the second semester.   They belong to college students in technology field; however they must study English as their career tool to be a pilot after their graduation.  Therefore, I want to take an initial opportunity for exchanging cross-cultural viewpoints.
                        Delin
                        主 旨: [evonline2002_webheads] Cross-Cultural Distance Learning

[...]

                      • Squires, Robert
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jun 7, 2008
                          Gavin,

                          I would also be interested in discussing this program more. Here is my contact information.

                          Robert Squires

                          Assistant Director

                          English Language Institute

                          The University of Montana