computer-feminine or masculine

  • aiden yeh
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 31, 2002
      Hello. I'm passing on the question to all those who think they know all about computers. If you're going to a label a gender for computers-what's it gonna be? Feminine? Or masculine? And why do you think so?
      Aiden
      Note: forwarded message attached.

    • dafne Chavez
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 31, 2002
        Hi Aiden
        I do not know if it really matters, but it all depends. I can tell you that in Spanish a computer can be femenine or masculine depending on the country you are in. For example, in Spain, it is maculine: "el ordenador", while in my country, Venezuela, it is femenine: "la computadora", and I think that in other spanish speaking countries it is masculine: "el computador". In English, I would say that it is neutral (it), but it may be the case like for ships that are considered "she". Lets give the floor to the native speakers.
        By the way, being a "newby", I have not perceived that anybody in this group has proclaimed him/herself to "know all about computers"
        Dafne
        aiden yeh <aidenyeh@...> escribió:
        Hello. I'm passing on the question to all those who think they know all about computers. If you're going to a label a gender for computers-what's it gonna be? Feminine? Or masculine? And why do you think so?
        Aiden
        Note: forwarded message attached.

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        Syllabus:

      • J. H. Steele
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 31, 2002
          Sorry I haven't been posting lately, but I have been having problems with my
          computer (neuter for me). As for gender in Spanish speaking countries, in
          Puerto Rico it is feminine (la computadora).

          Now that my computer is up and working again, I'll try to participate more
          regularly

          John

          John H. Steele
          Prof. English Department
          University of Puerto Rico at Aguadilla
          jhsteele@... http://www.eslpalace.com

          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 31, 2002
            WARNING - this is NOT a serious message!

            Dear Aiden, Dafne et al,

            I knew I had this somewhere ... it's one of those internet "funnies"
            which do the rounds now and then. With thanks to my little brother who
            sent me this last year!

            Enjoy!
            Nigel

            >An English teacher was explaining to his
            >students the concept of gender association in the English language.
            >He stated that hurricanes at one time were all given feminine names
            >and that ships and planes are usually referred to as "she." One of
            >the students raised his hand and asked, "What gender is a computer?"
            >
            >Not having a ready answer, the teacher divided the class into two
            >groups, males in one and females in the other, and asked each group
            >to decide whether a computer should be considered masculine or
            >feminine. Both groups were asked to give four reasons for their
            >recommendation.
            >
            >The group of women concluded that computers should be considered
            >masculine because:
            >1. In order to get their attention, you have to turn them on.
            >2. They have a lot of data but are still clueless.
            >3. They are supposed to help you solve your problems,
            > but half the time they ARE the problem.
            >4. As soon as you commit to one, you realize that, if you had
            > waited a little longer, you could have had a better model.
            >
            >The men, on the other hand, decided that computers should
            >be considered feminine because:
            >1. No one but their creator understands their internal logic.
            >2. The native language they use to communicate with other
            > computers is incomprehensible to everyone else.
            >3. Even your smallest mistakes are stored in long-term memory for
            > later retrieval.
            >4. As soon as you make a commitment to one, you find yourself
            > spending half your paycheck on accessories for it.
            >--
          • María Irene Albers de Urriola
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 1 8:15 AM
              Hi Nigel,
              This is really good, as Dafne said, we can have some fun too.
              Maria Irene