Interactive White Board for Under €50 or ev en less??

  • Nik Peachey
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 3, 2008
      HiSeth

      Something I just spotted could make it even cheaper and simpler. Some free software from a company called CamSpace that enables you to use a webcam and what ever you happen to have lying around as a controller. I post a quick message and a video on my blog if you want to see more:
      http://quickshout.blogspot.com/2008/06/who-needs-interactive-whiteboard.html

      Looks like it's mainly aimed at PC gamers at the moment, but I don't see why it won't eventually control other stuff too. Though I'm not sure how they'll get a plastic bottle to do left and right click.
      They're signing people up for a beta release if you're interested. I've signed up.

      Nik Peachey | Learning Technology Consultant, Writer, Trainer

      http://nikpeachey.blogspot.com/
      http://quickshout.blogspot.com/

      Visit my office in Second Life at: http://tinyurl.com/ytz5go
      Email: nikpeachey@...
    • Seth Dickens
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 3, 2008
        Hiya Nik,

        Looks absolutely great and pretty good fun too :-)

        What's more seeing as it's being developed commercially (or at least
        seemingly with some sort of financing - they do say they're never going to
        charge end users for it) I wonder if it won't leap way ahead of the �50
        Wiimote solution pretty quickly in terms of functionality?

        I've signed up for the Beta test too, and actually I've also just bought a
        Wiimote .... I can't wait to try it out :-D

        As always, well spotted Nik, I don't know how you do it!!

        Seth.

        --
        Seth Dickens

        Homepage:
        http://www.digitalang.com

        Thoughts and practical tips on ICT in Language Education:
        http://www.digitalang.com/blog

      • Ismail
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 3, 2008
          Hi Nik and Seth,

          In fact I tried the wii concept the way it was described in a youtube
          video, but unfortunately it didn't work for me. That was almost two
          months ago. I was using a lazer pointer at that time as suggested by
          an engineer friend. I wasn't sure if the problem comes from the wii
          driver or the pointer. Perhaps I should give it another try later with
          the software you suggested.

          Best,
          Ismail

          > HiSeth
          >
          > Something I just spotted could make it even cheaper and simpler.
          Some free software from a company called CamSpace that enables you to
          use a webcam and what ever you happen to have lying around as a
          controller. I post a quick message and a video on my blog if you want
          to see more:

          http://quickshout.blogspot.com/2008/06/who-needs-interactive-whiteboard.html

          > Looks like it's mainly aimed at PC gamers at the moment, but I don't
          see why it won't eventually control other stuff too. Though I'm not
          sure how they'll get a plastic bottle to do left and right click.
          > They're signing people up for a beta release if you're interested.
          I've signed up.

          > Nik Peachey | Learning Technology Consultant, Writer, Trainer
          >
          > http://nikpeachey.blogspot.com/
          > http://quickshout.blogspot.com/
          >
          > Visit my office in Second Life at: http://tinyurl.com/ytz5go
          > Email: nikpeachey@...

        • Seth Dickens
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 4, 2008
            Hiya Ismail,

            I managed to get my Wiimote controller working yesterday evening and I'm
            pleased to say it was really very simple :-D

            As far as I'm aware the light source must be infra-red (the type that's
            invisible to us) A quick scan of the internet says that some laser pointers
            contain infra red light and some don't. I went to a local electronics shop
            and got a specific infra red bulb for �0.40. I swapped it over with the bulb
            from a little pocket l.e.d. torch and hey presto, it works!

            At the end of the day though, if the software that NIk has found does get
            generally released and adapted for IWBs it will be both cheaper and easier
            to set up than the Wiimote version. In the meantime I'm going to carry on
            experimenting and will let you guys know how it goes in the long term.

            All the best,

            Seth :-)