Privacy in Yagoo Groups

  • Nergiz Kern
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 2, 2008
      Hi all

      I'm at Webhead's HQs on the EduNation III Island right now http://slurl.com/secondlife/EduNation%20III/79/37/21

      and I'm looking at this nice little gadget on the HQ's wall that shows updates of the posts
      from this group in Second Life.
      I personally, don't post anything I don't feel comfortable the public knowing. But just to make
      sure everybody is aware of the fact that this group is indeed pubic. Even people who have not
      joined it can see what you are writing here.

      Now waiting for this message to show up in SL :-)

      Best

      Nergiz
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 5, 2008
        Hi Nergiz,

        All true and all quite intentional. Messages on Yahoo Groups must be set to
        public, anyone can read them, in order for that group's messages to generate
        an RSS feed, for all the benefits that entails.

        Messages posted by this group are worth reading by the general public, don't
        you think? (whoever created that object in SL must think so :-)

        Hope everyone is happy with this. If someone really wanted to remove a
        message from the public record the moderator of the group (me) could delete
        the message (you could write me off list, to date no one has ever done so or
        expressed any concern over this whatsoever). I have never deleted any
        messages to date (and we started in 2001-2002) so unless there's a limit to
        our archive, it's all there (I'm in a car right now, offline, can't check).

        Let's keep doing what we're doing!

        > I'm at Webhead's HQs on the EduNation III Island right now
        > http://slurl.com/secondlife/EduNation%20III/79/37/21
        >
        > and I'm looking at this nice little gadget on the HQ's wall that shows
        > updates of the posts
        > from this group in Second Life.
        > I personally, don't post anything I don't feel comfortable the public
        > knowing. But just to make
        > sure everybody is aware of the fact that this group is indeed pubic. Even
        > people who have not
        > joined it can see what you are writing here.
        >
        > Now waiting for this message to show up in SL :-)
        >
        > Best
        >
        > Nergiz
        >

        > ------------------------------------
        >
        > For more information:

        > this footer and any other extraneous text from the reply - Thanks!!Yahoo!
        > Groups Links

      • Nergiz Kern
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 8, 2008
          Hi Vance

          My message was not meant as a comlaint :) I do agree that what we
          write here has value for the public. But I am not sure all members
          of the group know how publýc their messages to the group are. My
          intension was to remind people of this fact as some posts are very
          personal and reveal quite a bit of personal information.

          Nergiz

          --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, Vance Stevens
          <vstevens@...> wrote:

          > Hi Nergiz,
          >
          > All true and all quite intentional. Messages on Yahoo Groups must
          be set to
          > public, anyone can read them, in order for that group's messages
          to generate
          > an RSS feed, for all the benefits that entails.
          >
          > Messages posted by this group are worth reading by the general
          public, don't
          > you think? (whoever created that object in SL must think so :-)
          >
          > Hope everyone is happy with this. If someone really wanted to
          remove a
          > message from the public record the moderator of the group (me)
          could delete
          > the message (you could write me off list, to date no one has ever
          done so or
          > expressed any concern over this whatsoever). I have never deleted
          any
          > messages to date (and we started in 2001-2002) so unless there's a
          limit to
          > our archive, it's all there (I'm in a car right now, offline,
          can't check).

          > Let's keep doing what we're doing!
          >
          > Vance

          http://www.geocities.com/vance_stevens/papers/evonline2002/webheads.h
          tm

          > > When replying to postings, please delete this footer and any
          other
          > > extraneous text from the reply - Thanks!!plying to postings,
          please delete
          > > this footer and any other extraneous text from the reply -
          Thanks!!Yahoo!
          > > Groups Links

        • Graham Stanley
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 8, 2008
            Hi Nergz & Vance,

            I put the RSS reader in the Webheads HQ in Second Life - I thought it was a
            great way of letting people who stumbled upon the Webheads in SL to see the
            kind of discussions that were going on, and so become more aware of the
            group. As you say, the group is a public one, and anyone can take the RSS
            feed and retransmit this in many different ways. I think most if not all
            Webheads should be OK with this, but it's always worth mentioning.

            In general, even if the group was not public, we should all remember that
            what we are doing is using a very public medium (the Internet) to
            communicate, and there's no stopping another member of the group from
            republishing this information elsewhere. Worth remembering I think...

            Regards,

            Graham

            --
            Graham Stanley
            http://blog-efl.blogspot.com

            "Mere longevity is a good thing for those who watch Life from the side
            lines. For those who play the game, an hour may be a year, a single day's
            work an achievement for eternity..." (Gabriel Heatter)

          • Brad Jensen -elstore
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 8, 2008
              I've always assumed public forums were - public.

              And frankly, there is really no such thing as a private email - since the
              person at the other end can post it or forward it to a public forum.

              If you don't want your Mom to know you said it, don't say it.

              Brad Jensen

              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 8, 2008
                Thanks Graham,

                I and I'm sure all Webheads are honored that you would go to this trouble,
                and I hope others can benefit from your efforts and from those of all who
                write our list.

                Thanks very much,

                > I put the RSS reader in the Webheads HQ in Second Life - I thought it was
                > great way of letting people who stumbled upon the Webheads in SL to see
                > the
                > kind of discussions that were going on, and so become more aware of the
                > group. As you say, the group is a public one, and anyone can take the RSS
                > feed and retransmit this in many different ways. I think most if not all
                > Webheads should be OK with this, but it's always worth mentioning.
              • Dennis Newson
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 9, 2008
                  And don't forget the CIA and agencies in many (most) other countries. All
                  the evidence is that they can read as much of our email as they want. I'm
                  less concerned with security, if we cannot do much about improving it, than
                  ensuring I ask colleagues if I have their permission to quote them.

                  Dennis aka Denos

                  On 6/9/08, Brad Jensen -elstore <brad@...> wrote:

                  > I've always assumed public forums were - public.
                  >
                  > And frankly, there is really no such thing as a private email - since the
                  > person at the other end can post it or forward it to a public forum.
                  >
                  > If you don't want your Mom to know you said it, don't say it.
                  >
                  > Brad Jensen

                  Dennis Newson (retired)
                  University of Osnabrück
                  GERMANY
                  Webhead,
                  Discussion Moderator IATEFL YL SIG
                  Moderator of a number of other TEFL e-lists
                  Discussion Moderator ELTA-OWL

                • Dafne
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 9, 2008
                    Dear Dennis,

                    If I am not afraid to speak up my thoughts in my
                    country, how could I be afraid of what I say in this
                    list? ;-) You have my permission to quote whatever I
                    say. We have always been aware of and agreed that what
                    we say here is public.

                    Btw, I would be more afraid of the G2 than of the CIA
                    ;-)

                    hugs,

                    Daf

                    === message truncated ===
                  • Brad Jensen -elstore
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jun 9, 2008
                      > Btw, I would be more afraid of the G2 than of the CIA
                      > ;-)

                      You see, I am old fashioned. I am more afraid of my Mom than either of
                      those.

                      Brad Jensen