Re: Question regarding domain names

  • Ismail
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 1, 2008
      Hi Seth,

      Interesting information you have shared here. However, I think that
      wasn't the original inquiry. As far as I understand it, the point was
      about linking two domains to the same host.

      The answer again is `yes' in most cases. You can even link a domain to
      a personal server, blog, etc.. The only thing you need to do is to
      check with the server administrators if they offer it or not as some
      may limit the number of domains, but that would be rare..

      Ismail

      > Hiya Nergiz,
      >
      > The short answer is "Yes."
      >
      > The long answer is "Yes you can, but are you sure you want to do
      this?" The
      > reason I say this is that I've recently been reading about how
      Google (and
      > other internet search engines) crawl through and index websites and
      how to
      > improve where your website comes in their results. (Out of interest,
      would
      > anyone be interested in reading a simple "How to big up your
      website" guide.
      > It strikes me that most people would find it deathly boring, but
      seeing as
      > I've gone to the effort of finding out, I'd be happy to share what I've
      > found.)
      >
      > So, anyway Nergiz, one of the ways to get your website penalised by the
      > search engines is to have "duplicate content" on your web pages on
      from one
      > website to the next. i.e. if Google look at www.negizcoolwebsite.com
      and see
      > that it contains exactly the same content as
      > www.negizschoolofenglish.comyou may end up with both domains being
      > penalised. There are ways around
      > this, but they 'aint simple and they are probably too complex to
      post here.

      > IMHO if you really want to have two domain names but you don't want the
      > expense of designing two sites, use the same website template (which
      will
      > save you heaps of time and money) and write interesting, but individual
      > content for each. Anywhere where there is a need to reference the
      content
      > you have written on your other website, simply provide a link from
      one site
      > to the next (which is a way of increasing your ranking in Google etc
      by the
      > way.) :)
      >
      > Hope this helps,
      >
      > Seth
      >

      > --
      > Seth Dickens
      >
      > Homepage:
      > http://www.digitalang.com
      >
      > Thoughts and practical tips on ICT in Language Education:
      > http://www.digitalang.com/blog

    • Nergiz Kern
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 2, 2008
        Thanks Ismail, Seth, Bob

        All this information is helpful and also a bit confusing :-)
        So much knew to learn.
        I really appreciate your help.

        Best

        Nergiz