Re: Attention : Emails sent to BaW07 and Drama Yahoo Lists in name of Harvey

  • Elizabeth Hanson-Smith
    Message 1 of 2 , May 4, 2008
      Unfortunately, identity theft happens. I had mine stolen a couple of
      years ago, but didn't change my email, which is one possible solution.
      You could ask Harvey to unenroll and re-enroll with a different email
      identity/address.
      I am surprised that the stolen address could enter the group to post a
      message. That implies Harvey also lost his password, and he should
      change it right away.
      I read in the SF Chronicle recently that some 80% of spam comes from
      private computers that are turned into "bots" and crank out spam while
      their owner remains totally unaware it is going on. So maybe Harvey
      needs a good virus check of his computer? That might explain his
      password being used too.
      I am glad this happened after the sessions are over!
      Cheers--
      --Elizabeth

      --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, Moira Hunter
      <moira_hunter2005@...> wrote:

      > Obviously not my day today- last attempt and apologies ;-)
      > Moira
      >
      > Moira Hunter <moira_hunter2005@...> wrote: Date: Fri, 2 May 2008
      09:48:49 -0700 (PDT)
      > From: Moira Hunter <moira_hunter2005@...>
      > Subject: Re: [EVO_Drama_2008] An Emergency
      > To: EVO_Drama_2008@yahoogroups.com
      >
      > Hi Gary,
      >
      > I totally agree with you that it would help us all to know how
      Harvey's name has been pulled here. This same message was sent to the
      BaW07 list.

      > I'm going to copy this to the main webhead list to alert others and
      perhaps someone may be able to shed some light on this theft of identity.

      > Moira
      > PS It was lovely to see you in NY :-)
      >
      > Gary Carkin <garycarkin@...> wrote: THIS
      IS A FRAUD LETTER!

      > The interesting thing is that they have taken a real members name
      from our list of members. Do you remember Harvey who wanted the
      survey filled out earlier this winter. That's hs name. BUT, it is not
      him. The fraud messages that come from Africa all start with some kind
      of archaic formal greeting like : I hope this letter finds you in good
      health. A dead giveaway to native speakers. No one has talked like
      that for 75 years!

      > HOW the name was pulled is beyond me. We screen all people entering
      the list.

      > Anyway, be warned to pay no attention to any message like that.
      SEND MONEY TO NIGERIA?? I hope our group is smarter than to do that!
      Nigeria is the capital of fraudulent activities nowadays (unfortunately).

      > Gary
      >
      > Mitzi Geffen <mitzi1002001@...> wrote:
      Obviously! It's scary that anyone can have access to this list!
      > Mitzi
      >
      > Baerbel Schumacher <baerbel@...> wrote: Is this a hoax?
      >
      > harvey d'souza wrote:
      >
      > > I hope this message finds you in best of health. I had travelled
      to Nigeria for official purposes, Unfortunately for me all my money
      was stolen at the hotel where I lodged, I am so confused right now, I
      dont know what to do or where to go,I didn't bring my phone here, I
      have access to only emails, Please can you send me $3000 today so I
      can return home, As soon as I get home I would refund it
      immediately.Write me so I can let you know how to send it. Keep this
      to your self only please!!. Thanks

      > > Regards,
      > > Harvey

      > Dr. Gary Carkin