Re: Freedom and Future dreams SKYPE PROJECT

  • Rita Zeinstejer
    Message 1 of 18 , May 2, 2008
      Dear Valentina,

      It's only one day since you posted your request..., but there are
      already almost 20 messages in between ;-)

      I've obvously been to the wiki we opened in 2005 and to my blog as
      well, only to find you're right, unfortunately --the mp3 file is no
      longer up. Maybe Buth has got it, I've also checked in my folders but
      it's no longer there, I must have deleted it :-(((

      I am very sorry about this, I might answer any questions but see no
      other way of helping you get the material you need. I do hope Buth
      has saved the file safely.

      And if you find anything useful do make the most of it :-)

      Warmly,

      Rita

      --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "Valentina Dodge"
      <valentinadodge@...> wrote:

      > Dear Rita and Buthaina,
      >
      > Hope all is well with you and your work is going smoothly.
      > I was wondering if you still have a copy of the mp3 file available
      for
      > the wonderful Skype exchange project you set up and coordinated a
      few
      > years ago : The "Freedom & Future Dreams in Different Cultures"
      > The http://worldbridges.com/livewire/2005/08/22/freedom-and-future/
      no
      > longer seems to be working as Worldbridges has redirected a lot of
      the
      > files following their excellent developments. I can't seem to access
      > it from the CAEblog either
      > http://cae2005.blogspot.com/2005_08_01_cae2005_archive.html
      >
      > I would like to share this work (with full credits) with some
      trainees
      > on an ICT course I'm moderating on for Middle Eastern women as it's
      > great example of what can be successfully done. A wonderful project
      > observe and learn from.
      > Please let me know if you have an mp3 file or updated link and
      whether
      > this would be OK with you.
      > Thanks very much for your help,
      > Valentina

    • jefflebow
      Message 2 of 18 , May 2, 2008
        It would be tragic to lose that piece of intercultural webcasting
        history.

        I have reposted the audio to
        http://www.webheadsinaction.org/node/302

        <valentinadodge@...> wrote:

        > Dear Rita and Buthaina,
        >
        > Hope all is well with you and your work is going smoothly.
        > I was wondering if you still have a copy of the mp3 file available for
        > the wonderful Skype exchange project you set up and coordinated a few
        > years ago : The "Freedom & Future Dreams in Different Cultures"
        > The http://worldbridges.com/livewire/2005/08/22/freedom-and-future/ no
        > longer seems to be working as Worldbridges has redirected a lot of the
        > files following their excellent developments. I can't seem to access
        > it from the CAEblog either
        > http://cae2005.blogspot.com/2005_08_01_cae2005_archive.html
        >
        > I would like to share this work (with full credits) with some trainees
        > on an ICT course I'm moderating on for Middle Eastern women as it's a
        > great example of what can be successfully done. A wonderful project to
        > observe and learn from.
        > Please let me know if you have an mp3 file or updated link and whether
        > this would be OK with you.
        > Thanks very much for your help,
        > Valentina

      • Rita Zeinstejer
        Message 3 of 18 , May 3, 2008
          THANK YOU, Jeff!!!!!
          I'm so very happy you´ve "unburied" one of the most enlightening
          experiences I've had on cultural exchanges... And thank you, too,
          Valentina, for you started digging!! ;-)

          --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "jefflebow"
          <jefflebow@...> wrote:

          > It would be tragic to lose that piece of intercultural webcasting
          > history.
          >
          > I have reposted the audio to
          > http://www.webheadsinaction.org/node/302
          >
          > <valentinadodge@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Dear Rita and Buthaina,
          > >
          > > Hope all is well with you and your work is going smoothly.
          > > I was wondering if you still have a copy of the mp3 file
          available for
          > > the wonderful Skype exchange project you set up and coordinated a
          few
          > > years ago : The "Freedom & Future Dreams in Different Cultures"
          > > The http://worldbridges.com/livewire/2005/08/22/freedom-and-
          future/ no
          > > longer seems to be working as Worldbridges has redirected a lot
          of the
          > > files following their excellent developments. I can't seem to
          access
          > > it from the CAEblog either
          > > http://cae2005.blogspot.com/2005_08_01_cae2005_archive.html
          > >
          > > I would like to share this work (with full credits) with some
          trainees
          > > on an ICT course I'm moderating on for Middle Eastern women as
          it's a
          > > great example of what can be successfully done. A wonderful
          project to
          > > observe and learn from.
          > > Please let me know if you have an mp3 file or updated link and
          whether
          > > this would be OK with you.
          > > Thanks very much for your help,
          > > Valentina

        • Valentina Dodge
          Message 4 of 18 , May 4, 2008
            Well thank you Rita for your reply and thank YOU Jeff for reposting. I
            agree it would have been tragic, it was grand project and deserves all
            the attention and observation it can get.
            Wonderful to know it's back up and available for us all to enjoy.

            Wow, what a busy weekend of posts. Webheads never reast hey?
            Greetings from bright and sunny Italy to you all and thanks again for
            your help, much appreciated!
            Valentina

            --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "Rita Zeinstejer"
            <ritazeinstejer@...> wrote:

            > THANK YOU, Jeff!!!!!
            > I'm so very happy you´ve "unburied" one of the most enlightening
            > experiences I've had on cultural exchanges... And thank you, too,
            > Valentina, for you started digging!! ;-)
            >

            > --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "jefflebow"
            > <jefflebow@> wrote:
            > >
            > > It would be tragic to lose that piece of intercultural webcasting
            > > history.
            > >
            > > I have reposted the audio to
            > > http://www.webheadsinaction.org/node/302
            > >
            > > <valentinadodge@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Dear Rita and Buthaina,
            > > >
            > > > Hope all is well with you and your work is going smoothly.
            > > > I was wondering if you still have a copy of the mp3 file
            > available for
            > > > the wonderful Skype exchange project you set up and coordinated a
            > few
            > > > years ago : The "Freedom & Future Dreams in Different Cultures"
            > > > The http://worldbridges.com/livewire/2005/08/22/freedom-and-
            > future/ no
            > > > longer seems to be working as Worldbridges has redirected a lot
            > of the
            > > > files following their excellent developments. I can't seem to
            > access
            > > > it from the CAEblog either
            > > > http://cae2005.blogspot.com/2005_08_01_cae2005_archive.html
            > > >
            > > > I would like to share this work (with full credits) with some
            > trainees
            > > > on an ICT course I'm moderating on for Middle Eastern women as
            > it's a
            > > > great example of what can be successfully done. A wonderful
            > project to
            > > > observe and learn from.
            > > > Please let me know if you have an mp3 file or updated link and
            > whether
            > > > this would be OK with you.
            > > > Thanks very much for your help,
            > > > Valentina

          • Gavin Dudeney
            Message 5 of 18 , May 4, 2008
              Hi,

              Is there anyone in Turkey reading the list? I’m looking for information on
              access to computers in state schools… Do teachers have access to computers,
              Net connections, etc.? Do people have Net connections at home, generally
              speaking? I’m due to give a talk in Istanbul next weekend and would like a
              little information beforehand.

              Thanks in advance,

              Gavin

              c/ Ceramica 54, 08035 Barcelona, Spain

              Tel: +34 93 427 4240 | +44 20 7193 0770

              http://www.theconsultants-e.com <http://www.theconsultants-e.com/>

              Winners: 2007 British Council ELTON award - http://tinyurl.com/3e2c54

              Winners: 2007 Ben Warren Trust Prize - <http://tinyurl.com/6yolo4>
              http://tinyurl.com/6yolo4

              Owners: Second Life EduNation sims - http://tinyurl.com/34l8mw

              Sponsors: UK Moodle Conference - http://www.moodlemoot.org
              <http://www.moodlemoot.org/>

              CONFIDENTIALITY AND DISCLAIMER NOTICE

              Well thank you Rita for your reply and thank YOU Jeff for reposting. I
              agree it would have been tragic, it was grand project and deserves all
              the attention and observation it can get.
              Wonderful to know it's back up and available for us all to enjoy.

              Wow, what a busy weekend of posts. Webheads never reast hey?
              Greetings from bright and sunny Italy to you all and thanks again for
              your help, much appreciated!
              Valentina

              --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com
              <mailto:evonline2002_webheads%40yahoogroups.com> , "Rita Zeinstejer"
              <ritazeinstejer@...> wrote:

              > THANK YOU, Jeff!!!!!
              > I'm so very happy you´ve "unburied" one of the most enlightening
              > experiences I've had on cultural exchanges... And thank you, too,
              > Valentina, for you started digging!! ;-)
              >

              > --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com
              <mailto:evonline2002_webheads%40yahoogroups.com> , "jefflebow"
              > <jefflebow@> wrote:
              > >
              > > It would be tragic to lose that piece of intercultural webcasting
              > > history.
              > >
              > > I have reposted the audio to
              > > http://www.webheadsinaction.org/node/302
              > >
              > > <valentinadodge@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Dear Rita and Buthaina,
              > > >
              > > > Hope all is well with you and your work is going smoothly.
              > > > I was wondering if you still have a copy of the mp3 file
              > available for
              > > > the wonderful Skype exchange project you set up and coordinated a
              > few
              > > > years ago : The "Freedom & Future Dreams in Different Cultures"
              > > > The http://worldbridges.com/livewire/2005/08/22/freedom-and-
              > future/ no
              > > > longer seems to be working as Worldbridges has redirected a lot
              > of the
              > > > files following their excellent developments. I can't seem to
              > access
              > > > it from the CAEblog either
              > > > http://cae2005.blogspot.com/2005_08_01_cae2005_archive.html
              > > >
              > > > I would like to share this work (with full credits) with some
              > trainees
              > > > on an ICT course I'm moderating on for Middle Eastern women as
              > it's a
              > > > great example of what can be successfully done. A wonderful
              > project to
              > > > observe and learn from.
              > > > Please let me know if you have an mp3 file or updated link and
              > whether
              > > > this would be OK with you.
              > > > Thanks very much for your help,
              > > > Valentina

            • k.ergiz
              Message 6 of 18 , May 4, 2008
                Hi Gavin

                I'm in Turkey.
                There is more and more access to computers in state schools. However, there are huge
                differences. Most teachers do have access and there is also access in many homes now, but
                again it depends on the area or school and the families. Many families still can't afford a
                computer and internet access. What happens often is that teachers ask students to find some
                information on the Internet as homework. Then, the students go to an Internet café and have
                somebody find and print it out for them. But new laws to protect children are very strict and
                younger children are not allowed in Internet cafés.
                We have broadband connection in the cities. Most homes with Internet have a connection
                speed of 1024kb.

                If you need more information or have more specific questions, I can ask my sister, who is an
                English teacher at a state school.

                Hope this helps.

                Nergiz
              • Sedat Akayoglu
                Message 7 of 18 , May 4, 2008
                  Hi Gavin,

                  I am also in Turkey and when compared to the European countries the Internet
                  connection is much better than that in many countries. Each state schools
                  have the Internet connection and the speed is 1024 KB minimum. National
                  Ministry of Education communicate through e-mail messages with all schools.
                  I am sure if you have a presentation in Istanbul, you will have no problem
                  with the Internet connection.

                  Mostly teachers have Internet connections at home and at schools. Students
                  have also computers and the Internet connection at home but if they don't
                  have any connection at home, they have the chance to use computers at
                  school. I sometimes have presentations at different state schools but I
                  haven't experienced any problems with computers and the Internet yet.

                  Best wishes,

                  Sedat Akayoglu

                  On Sun, May 4, 2008 at 11:30 PM, k.ergiz <k.ergiz@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Gavin
                  >
                  > I'm in Turkey.
                  > There is more and more access to computers in state schools. However,
                  > there are huge
                  > differences. Most teachers do have access and there is also access in many
                  > homes now, but
                  > again it depends on the area or school and the families. Many families
                  > still can't afford a
                  > computer and internet access. What happens often is that teachers ask
                  > students to find some
                  > information on the Internet as homework. Then, the students go to an
                  > Internet café and have
                  > somebody find and print it out for them. But new laws to protect children
                  > are very strict and
                  > younger children are not allowed in Internet cafés.
                  > We have broadband connection in the cities. Most homes with Internet have
                  > a connection
                  > speed of 1024kb.
                  >
                  > If you need more information or have more specific questions, I can ask my
                  > sister, who is an
                  > English teacher at a state school.
                  >
                  > Hope this helps.
                  >
                  > Nergiz

                • Gavin Dudeney
                  Message 8 of 18 , May 5, 2008
                    Folks,

                    Just a quick thanks to Sedat and Nergiz for the information, which was just
                    what I needed. I learnt a long time ago never to rely on an Internet
                    connection during a presentation, but was more interested in finding out
                    what sort of access people have in schools so that I can talk about
                    something useful - and practical.

                    Many thanks,

                    Gavin

                  • Michael Coghlan
                    Message 9 of 18 , May 5, 2008
                      At 06:00 AM 5/5/2008, Nergiz wrote:

                      >Hi Gavin
                      >
                      >I'm in Turkey.
                      > Most homes with Internet have a connection
                      >speed of 1024kb.

                      This means that most homes in Turkey have twice the speed of
                      Australian homes - interesting!

                      - Michael

                    • Buthaina Al-Othman
                      Message 10 of 18 , May 5, 2008
                        Dear, Valentina,

                        So sorry for this late reply; it's the busiest time of the semester
                        for us here as we're approaching the final exams as some of you.

                        The good news is that I do have the mp3 file of the rehearsal session
                        published on or linked to the portal web page created for this
                        cross-cultural project at:

                        http://alothman-b.com/skypeproject_portal.htm

                        And here is a direct link to it at:
                        http://worldbridges.com/webheads/audio/globalskype1.mp3

                        The other sound file or webcast of the final activity of this project
                        is the one that is also not working on my portal webpage, which Jeff
                        has thankfully saved and redirected to Webheadsinaction.org, and I do
                        have it saved in my old pc. I'll try to replace the current dead one
                        with the working one soon.

                        Hope this helps, Valentina.

                        Best wishes,

                        Buthaina (aka Buth :)
                        ------------------------

                        <valentinadodge@...> wrote:

                        > Dear Rita and Buthaina,
                        >
                        > Hope all is well with you and your work is going smoothly.
                        > I was wondering if you still have a copy of the mp3 file available for
                        > the wonderful Skype exchange project you set up and coordinated a few
                        > years ago : The "Freedom & Future Dreams in Different Cultures"
                        > The http://worldbridges.com/livewire/2005/08/22/freedom-and-future/ no
                        > longer seems to be working as Worldbridges has redirected a lot of the
                        > files following their excellent developments. I can't seem to access
                        > it from the CAEblog either
                        > http://cae2005.blogspot.com/2005_08_01_cae2005_archive.html
                        >
                        > I would like to share this work (with full credits) with some trainees
                        > on an ICT course I'm moderating on for Middle Eastern women as it's a
                        > great example of what can be successfully done. A wonderful project to
                        > observe and learn from.
                        > Please let me know if you have an mp3 file or updated link and whether
                        > this would be OK with you.
                        > Thanks very much for your help,
                        > Valentina

                      • k.ergiz
                        Message 11 of 18 , May 5, 2008
                          Michael, I'm surprised to hear that. I thought it's too slow, especially when watching video, so
                          I recently changed to double the speed. I'm probably spoiled from Germany.

                          Best

                          Nergiz
                        • k.ergiz

                            Message 13 of 18 , May 5, 2008
                              Gavin,
                              Here is the English translation of news on the Internet accessibility updates in Turkey (http://www.meb.gov.tr/ADSL/adsl_index.html):
                              According to the protocol signed between Ministry of Transport and Ministry of National Education on December 5, 2003;
                              By the end of 2007, 29.000 schools were provided with Internet. Therefore, 95% of high schools (99% of high school students), 59% of primary schools (93% of the primary school students) which is 12 million students and 400.000 computers are Internet accessible.
                              Recently, Ministry of National Education has started the ‘e-school’ project at the basic compulsory level where teachers are obliged to enter data for each student to the centralized system. There is also a component for parents available online to access announcements by the school, schedule, and information on attendance, grades, exams and projects of their children.
                              For more information about the education system in Turkey:
                              http://www.meb.gov.tr/english/indexeng.htm
                              I am also interested in your talk, if you give the exact time and location we -the webheads in Turkey- could have chance to meet you, looking forward to...

                              Derya Erice, Turkey

                            • Sedat Akayoglu
                              Message 14 of 18 , May 5, 2008
                                Hi all,

                                That's a really nice statistical information about the Internet connection
                                in Turkey and especially at schools. By the way, Google Groups is working
                                very well in Turkey. It is not forbidden and I am also using it very
                                frequently. Nergiz, can it be a problem with your own computer, not a
                                problem of Turkey? I checked it with my friends and Google Groups is working
                                properly on their computers as well.

                                Sedat Akayoglu
                                Turkey

                                On Mon, May 5, 2008 at 4:43 PM, derya <d_erice@...> wrote:

                                > Gavin,
                                > Here is the English translation of news on the Internet accessibility
                                > updates in Turkey (http://www.meb.gov.tr/ADSL/adsl_index.html):
                                > According to the protocol signed between Ministry of Transport and
                                > Ministry of National Education on December 5, 2003;
                                > By the end of 2007, 29.000 schools were provided with Internet. Therefore,
                                > 95% of high schools (99% of high school students), 59% of primary schools
                                > (93% of the primary school students) which is 12 million students and
                                > 400.000 computers are Internet accessible.
                                > Recently, Ministry of National Education has started the 'e-school'
                                > project at the basic compulsory level where teachers are obliged to enter
                                > data for each student to the centralized system. There is also a component
                                > for parents available online to access announcements by the school,
                                > schedule, and information on attendance, grades, exams and projects of their
                                > children.
                                > For more information about the education system in Turkey:
                                > http://www.meb.gov.tr/english/indexeng.htm
                                > I am also interested in your talk, if you give the exact time and location
                                > we -the webheads in Turkey- could have chance to meet you, looking forward
                                > to...
                                >
                                > Derya Erice, Turkey

                              • Gavin Dudeney
                                Message 15 of 18 , May 5, 2008
                                  Folks,

                                  It's the Enka ELT Conference, May 10th, Enka Schools, Istanbul. That's all I
                                  have!

                                  Gavin

                                  <mailto:d_erice%40yahoo.com> > wrote:

                                  > Gavin,
                                  > Here is the English translation of news on the Internet accessibility
                                  > updates in Turkey (http://www.meb.gov.tr/ADSL/adsl_index.html):
                                  > According to the protocol signed between Ministry of Transport and
                                  > Ministry of National Education on December 5, 2003;
                                  > By the end of 2007, 29.000 schools were provided with Internet. Therefore,
                                  > 95% of high schools (99% of high school students), 59% of primary schools
                                  > (93% of the primary school students) which is 12 million students and
                                  > 400.000 computers are Internet accessible.
                                  > Recently, Ministry of National Education has started the 'e-school'
                                  > project at the basic compulsory level where teachers are obliged to enter
                                  > data for each student to the centralized system. There is also a component
                                  > for parents available online to access announcements by the school,
                                  > schedule, and information on attendance, grades, exams and projects of
                                  their
                                  > children.
                                  > For more information about the education system in Turkey:
                                  > http://www.meb.gov.tr/english/indexeng.htm
                                  > I am also interested in your talk, if you give the exact time and location
                                  > we -the webheads in Turkey- could have chance to meet you, looking forward
                                  > to...
                                  >
                                  > Derya Erice, Turkey

                                • k.ergiz
                                  Message 16 of 18 , May 5, 2008
                                    Hi Sedat,

                                    No, it's not a problem with my computer; it has been blocked by yet another court order :-( If
                                    you search on the Internet, you will find the news:http://snurl.com/2790q
                                    [www_google_com]
                                    However, as I said, I've found a way around. So, I guess you already use those settings.
                                    Thanks!

                                    Best

                                    Nergiz
                                  • Valentina Dodge
                                    Message 17 of 18 , May 6, 2008
                                      Super Buth!
                                      Thanks ever so much - I know how busy things must be so really
                                      appreciate yr time!
                                      Valentina

                                      --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "Buthaina Al-Othman"