Attention : Emails sent to BaW07 and Drama Yahoo Lists in name of Harvey

  • Moira Hunter
    Message 1 of 2 , May 2, 2008
      Obviously not my day today- last attempt and apologies ;-)
      Moira

      Moira Hunter <moira_hunter2005@...> wrote: Date: Fri, 2 May 2008 09:48:49 -0700 (PDT)
      From: Moira Hunter <moira_hunter2005@...>
      Subject: Re: [EVO_Drama_2008] An Emergency
      To: EVO_Drama_2008@yahoogroups.com

      Hi Gary,

      I totally agree with you that it would help us all to know how Harvey's name has been pulled here. This same message was sent to the BaW07 list.

      I'm going to copy this to the main webhead list to alert others and perhaps someone may be able to shed some light on this theft of identity.

      Moira
      PS It was lovely to see you in NY :-)

      Gary Carkin <garycarkin@...> wrote: THIS IS A FRAUD LETTER!

      The interesting thing is that they have taken a real members name from our list of members. Do you remember Harvey who wanted the survey filled out earlier this winter. That's hs name. BUT, it is not him. The fraud messages that come from Africa all start with some kind of archaic formal greeting like : I hope this letter finds you in good health. A dead giveaway to native speakers. No one has talked like that for 75 years!

      HOW the name was pulled is beyond me. We screen all people entering the list.

      Anyway, be warned to pay no attention to any message like that. SEND MONEY TO NIGERIA?? I hope our group is smarter than to do that! Nigeria is the capital of fraudulent activities nowadays (unfortunately).

      Gary

      Mitzi Geffen <mitzi1002001@...> wrote: Obviously! It's scary that anyone can have access to this list!
      Mitzi

      Baerbel Schumacher <baerbel@...> wrote: Is this a hoax?

      harvey d'souza wrote:

      > I hope this message finds you in best of health. I had travelled to Nigeria for official purposes, Unfortunately for me all my money was stolen at the hotel where I lodged, I am so confused right now, I dont know what to do or where to go,I didn't bring my phone here, I have access to only emails, Please can you send me $3000 today so I can return home, As soon as I get home I would refund it immediately.Write me so I can let you know how to send it. Keep this to your self only please!!. Thanks
      >
      > Regards,
      > Harvey

      Dr. Gary Carkin
      Professor of TESOL
      Institute for Language Education
      Southern New Hampshire University
      Manchester, NH 03106
      Tel: 603.668.2211 ext.:3389
      g.carkin@...

    • Elizabeth Hanson-Smith
      Message 2 of 2 , May 4, 2008
        Unfortunately, identity theft happens. I had mine stolen a couple of
        years ago, but didn't change my email, which is one possible solution.
        You could ask Harvey to unenroll and re-enroll with a different email
        identity/address.
        I am surprised that the stolen address could enter the group to post a
        message. That implies Harvey also lost his password, and he should
        change it right away.
        I read in the SF Chronicle recently that some 80% of spam comes from
        private computers that are turned into "bots" and crank out spam while
        their owner remains totally unaware it is going on. So maybe Harvey
        needs a good virus check of his computer? That might explain his
        password being used too.
        I am glad this happened after the sessions are over!
        Cheers--
        --Elizabeth

        --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, Moira Hunter
        <moira_hunter2005@...> wrote:

        > Obviously not my day today- last attempt and apologies ;-)
        > Moira
        >
        > Moira Hunter <moira_hunter2005@...> wrote: Date: Fri, 2 May 2008
        09:48:49 -0700 (PDT)
        > From: Moira Hunter <moira_hunter2005@...>
        > Subject: Re: [EVO_Drama_2008] An Emergency
        > To: EVO_Drama_2008@yahoogroups.com
        >
        > Hi Gary,
        >
        > I totally agree with you that it would help us all to know how
        Harvey's name has been pulled here. This same message was sent to the
        BaW07 list.

        > I'm going to copy this to the main webhead list to alert others and
        perhaps someone may be able to shed some light on this theft of identity.

        > Moira
        > PS It was lovely to see you in NY :-)
        >
        > Gary Carkin <garycarkin@...> wrote: THIS
        IS A FRAUD LETTER!

        > The interesting thing is that they have taken a real members name
        from our list of members. Do you remember Harvey who wanted the
        survey filled out earlier this winter. That's hs name. BUT, it is not
        him. The fraud messages that come from Africa all start with some kind
        of archaic formal greeting like : I hope this letter finds you in good
        health. A dead giveaway to native speakers. No one has talked like
        that for 75 years!

        > HOW the name was pulled is beyond me. We screen all people entering
        the list.

        > Anyway, be warned to pay no attention to any message like that.
        SEND MONEY TO NIGERIA?? I hope our group is smarter than to do that!
        Nigeria is the capital of fraudulent activities nowadays (unfortunately).

        > Gary
        >
        > Mitzi Geffen <mitzi1002001@...> wrote:
        Obviously! It's scary that anyone can have access to this list!
        > Mitzi
        >
        > Baerbel Schumacher <baerbel@...> wrote: Is this a hoax?
        >
        > harvey d'souza wrote:
        >
        > > I hope this message finds you in best of health. I had travelled
        to Nigeria for official purposes, Unfortunately for me all my money
        was stolen at the hotel where I lodged, I am so confused right now, I
        dont know what to do or where to go,I didn't bring my phone here, I
        have access to only emails, Please can you send me $3000 today so I
        can return home, As soon as I get home I would refund it
        immediately.Write me so I can let you know how to send it. Keep this
        to your self only please!!. Thanks

        > > Regards,
        > > Harvey

        > Dr. Gary Carkin