Re: Twitter - Anyone know a tool for aggregating several feeds?

  • Seth Dickens
    Message 1 of 25 , May 1, 2008
      Hiya Cris,

      This IS great isn't it :-)

      It's just the sort of thing I was thinking of trying to set up with a
      class, but already made to look good visually. :-D

      I had a play around and it's quite easy to use too. WOW! :-)

      I think this might just be what I was looking for! I set up a tiny
      little "Crowd" in just 1 minute:
      http://crowdstatus.com/friendsandcolleaguescrowd.aspx

      I'm gonna experiment with yahoo pipes too, but this tool is so nice
      and simple and it "Just Works"

      Thanks again for this,

      Seth

      -- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, cristina costa

      http://crowdstatus.com/webheadsinactioncrowd.aspx

      > besides that I also use he twitter aggregator widget in igoogle. I
      think it is quite efficient.

      > Cris

    • Barbara Dieu
      Message 2 of 25 , May 1, 2008
        Another excellent aggregator you may want to try, Seth, is Friend
        Feed - it brings together many of the social tools together with the
        people who are using them - so you get updated not only about tweets
        but also delicious, flickr, blogs and the lot. You have updates on
        your own page, your friends' page and the whole site's page. Not as
        visually appealing as crowdsource but definitely richer in connections
        and links. Besides, it gives you the possibility to comment on
        people's updates on the spot.
        http://friendfeed.com
        I have been heavily spammed in Pownce and I think am going to close
        my account there. Has anyone had the same pb?
        Warm regards from Brazil,
        Bee

        --
        Barbara Dieu
        http://dekita.org
        Message 3 of 25 , May 1, 2008
          Hi Vance
          Can you please add me as well? I'm mfr

          Fernanda

          On Thu, 01 May 2008 07:02:26 -0700
          Vance Stevens <vstevens@...> wrote:

          > Hi Gladys and everyone,
          >
          > Glad you are enjoying Crowdstatus (and getting back to broadband after a
          > week without).
          >
          > I've put a link to Crowdstatus at the bottom of http://webheads.info, in
          > case you want to check it and can't remember its clunky URL.
          >
          > I've added Gladys to it and if anyone else wants to be added just let me
          > know.
          >
          > Vance

          Fernanda Rodrigues
          Setubal
          Portugal
        • michaelc@chariot.net.au
          Message 4 of 25 , May 1, 2008
            Hi everyone.

            I look at crowdstatus and find myself thinking isn't this just Twitter
            writ small? Maybe it's come to be because Twitter has been so
            successful and we all have too many people to follow so we feel the
            need to refine it back to just a few with a tool like crowdstatus?

            And I look at it and wonder what its use is? Yes, it looks good, and
            works well, bu how would you use it? Apart from being a mini-Twitter,
            what would you do with it? Anyone care to enlighten me? :)

            - Michael

            Quoting Seth Dickens <sethdickens@...>:

            > Hiya Cris,
            >
            > This IS great isn't it :-)
            >
            > It's just the sort of thing I was thinking of trying to set up with a
            > class, but already made to look good visually. :-D
            >
            > I had a play around and it's quite easy to use too. WOW! :-)
            >
            > I think this might just be what I was looking for! I set up a tiny
            > little "Crowd" in just 1 minute:
            > http://crowdstatus.com/friendsandcolleaguescrowd.aspx
            >
            > I'm gonna experiment with yahoo pipes too, but this tool is so nice
            > and simple and it "Just Works"
            >
            > Thanks again for this,
            >
            > Seth
            >
            > -- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, cristina costa
            > <cristinacosta_pt@...> wrote:
            >>
            >> Hi Seth,
            >>
            >> I ma not sure if this helps, but Vance's Crowdstatus is just great
            > http://crowdstatus.com/webheadsinactioncrowd.aspx
            >>
            >> besides that I also use he twitter aggregator widget in igoogle. I
            > think it is quite efficient.
            >>
            >> Cris

          • Joao Alves
            Message 5 of 25 , May 1, 2008
              Can you add me, too, please?

              Thanks, Vance.

              Joao

              2008/5/1 Vance Stevens <vstevens@...>:

              > Hi Gladys and everyone,
              >
              > Glad you are enjoying Crowdstatus (and getting back to broadband after a
              > week without).
              >
              > I've put a link to Crowdstatus at the bottom of http://webheads.info, in
              > case you want to check it and can't remember its clunky URL.
              >
              > I've added Gladys to it and if anyone else wants to be added just let me
              > know.
              >
              > Vance

              Joao Alves
              http://joaocarlosalves.eu

            • Seth Dickens
              Message 6 of 25 , May 1, 2008
                Hiya Michael,

                I guess you have a point there about it being Twitter writ small, but
                I think it does have it's uses. For example I'd like to use it to
                preserve the "intimacy" you get of face to face lessons when students
                are no longer in the classroom. The idea that this page of people are
                all my classmates (and not a huge swamp of random colleagues, friends
                and others) I think could be handy.

                In many respects I think that some of these social networking tools
                can be victims of their own success. For example, I can't stand the
                fact that kids I used to hate at high school are constantly "poking"
                me and "Writing on my Super Wall" with Facebook.

                I'd like to think of something like Crowdstatus as a Crowd filter as
                opposed to a lesser version of Twitter.

                Seth :-)

                --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, michaelc@... wrote:

                > Hi everyone.
                >
                > I look at crowdstatus and find myself thinking isn't this just Twitter
                > writ small? Maybe it's come to be because Twitter has been so
                > successful and we all have too many people to follow so we feel the
                > need to refine it back to just a few with a tool like crowdstatus?
                >
                > And I look at it and wonder what its use is? Yes, it looks good, and
                > works well, bu how would you use it? Apart from being a mini-Twitter,
                > what would you do with it? Anyone care to enlighten me? :)
                >
                > - Michael

                > Quoting Seth Dickens <sethdickens@...>:
                >
                > > Hiya Cris,
                > >
                > > This IS great isn't it :-)
                > >
                > > It's just the sort of thing I was thinking of trying to set up with a
                > > class, but already made to look good visually. :-D
                > >
                > > I had a play around and it's quite easy to use too. WOW! :-)
                > >
                > > I think this might just be what I was looking for! I set up a tiny
                > > little "Crowd" in just 1 minute:
                > > http://crowdstatus.com/friendsandcolleaguescrowd.aspx
                > >
                > > I'm gonna experiment with yahoo pipes too, but this tool is so nice
                > > and simple and it "Just Works"
                > >
                > > Thanks again for this,
                > >
                > > Seth
                > >
                > > -- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, cristina costa
                > > <cristinacosta_pt@> wrote:
                > >>
                > >> Hi Seth,
                > >>
                > >> I ma not sure if this helps, but Vance's Crowdstatus is just great
                > > http://crowdstatus.com/webheadsinactioncrowd.aspx
                > >>
                > >> besides that I also use he twitter aggregator widget in igoogle. I
                > > think it is quite efficient.
                > >>
                > >> Cris

              • Seth Dickens
                Message 7 of 25 , May 1, 2008
                  Thanks Barbara,

                  how tricky is Friend Feed to set up?

                  A lot of the teaching I do (about 75%) is with adults as opposed to
                  kids or teenagers so I have to be careful about the difficulty of
                  anything I try to introduce. I like Twitter in particular as it's sooo
                  simple. the idea of a central page was that I could set it up for my
                  students and they'd not have any technical headaches.

                  Off for an Icecream by the river now... (should I perhaps have
                  twittered that rather than Webheaded it?!)

                  Seth ;-)

                  --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "Barbara Dieu"
                  <beeonline@...> wrote:

                  > Another excellent aggregator you may want to try, Seth, is Friend
                  > Feed - it brings together many of the social tools together with the
                  > people who are using them - so you get updated not only about tweets
                  > but also delicious, flickr, blogs and the lot. You have updates on
                  > your own page, your friends' page and the whole site's page. Not as
                  > visually appealing as crowdsource but definitely richer in connections
                  > and links. Besides, it gives you the possibility to comment on
                  > people's updates on the spot.
                  > http://friendfeed.com
                  > I have been heavily spammed in Pownce and I think am going to close
                  > my account there. Has anyone had the same pb?
                  > Warm regards from Brazil,
                  > Bee
                  >

                  > --
                  > Barbara Dieu
                  > http://dekita.org
                  > http://beewebhead.net

                • Squires, Robert
                  Message 8 of 25 , May 1, 2008
                    Michael,

                    I have been thinking the same thing, and here is an
                    application I am considering. We have a group of 48 teachers visiting
                    this summer from Korea for a professional training program. In addition
                    to having a wiki for the program, I thought it would be nice for the
                    group to be represented on crowd status. They could visit through the
                    wiki and see what the rest of their colleagues are up to during their
                    stay in Missoula. I think a twitter insert in the sidebar wouldn't give
                    the full scope of the groups investigations. They also may want to share
                    a quick link or two that they come across in their methodology classes.
                    I expect crowd status to broaden communication among the participants,
                    highlight the options available to the group and also remain a resource
                    for continuing collaboration after the end of the program. I would also
                    like to draw previous programs into the crowd, so that teachers can be
                    in touch with those that have come before and will come after.

                    Best,

                    Robert

                    <mailto:sethdickens%40gmail.com> >:

                    > Hiya Cris,
                    >
                    > This IS great isn't it :-)
                    >
                    > It's just the sort of thing I was thinking of trying to set up with a
                    > class, but already made to look good visually. :-D
                    >
                    > I had a play around and it's quite easy to use too. WOW! :-)
                    >
                    > I think this might just be what I was looking for! I set up a tiny
                    > little "Crowd" in just 1 minute:
                    > http://crowdstatus.com/friendsandcolleaguescrowd.aspx
                    >
                    > I'm gonna experiment with yahoo pipes too, but this tool is so nice
                    > and simple and it "Just Works"
                    >
                    > Thanks again for this,
                    >
                    > Seth
                    >
                    > -- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com
                    <mailto:evonline2002_webheads%40yahoogroups.com> , cristina costa

                    Message 9 of 25 , May 1, 2008
                      Hi Crowd,

                      Bee asked this question earlier, and I answered it thusly:

                      I think there are three ways that crowdstatus provides value

                      1. It puts all webheads tweets in one place, so we can see just what WE are
                      up to
                      2. You can follow people from here, so if you want to follow webheads you
                      can see who they are and follow them
                      3. If you are at a place where you can't reach Twitter then you will be able
                      to see what Webheads are tweeting thrrough Crowdstatus, as it doesn't suffer
                      from blockages of Twitter, as least in the UAE.

                      > I look at crowdstatus and find myself thinking isn't this just Twitter
                      > writ small? Maybe it's come to be because Twitter has been so
                      > successful and we all have too many people to follow so we feel the
                      > need to refine it back to just a few with a tool like crowdstatus?
                      >
                      > And I look at it and wonder what its use is? Yes, it looks good, and
                      > works well, bu how would you use it? Apart from being a mini-Twitter,
                      > what would you do with it? Anyone care to enlighten me? :)
                      >
                      > - Michael

                      > Quoting Seth Dickens <sethdickens@...>:
                      >
                      >> Hiya Cris,
                      >>
                      >> This IS great isn't it :-)
                      >>
                      >> It's just the sort of thing I was thinking of trying to set up with a
                      >> class, but already made to look good visually. :-D
                      >>
                      >> I had a play around and it's quite easy to use too. WOW! :-)
                      >>
                      >> I think this might just be what I was looking for! I set up a tiny
                      >> little "Crowd" in just 1 minute:
                      >> http://crowdstatus.com/friendsandcolleaguescrowd.aspx
                      >>
                      >> I'm gonna experiment with yahoo pipes too, but this tool is so nice
                      >> and simple and it "Just Works"
                      >>
                      >> Thanks again for this,
                      >>
                      >> Seth

                    • Elderbob
                      Message 10 of 25 , May 3, 2008
                        You can put me on that list too.

                        elderbob

                        On Thu, May 1, 2008 at 8:51 AM, Joao Alves <joao_alves44@...> wrote:

                        > Can you add me, too, please?
                        >
                        > Thanks, Vance.
                        >
                        > Joao
                        >
                        > 2008/5/1 Vance Stevens <vstevens@...<vstevens%40emirates.net.ae>
                        > >:
                        >

                        > > Hi Gladys and everyone,
                        > >
                        > > Glad you are enjoying Crowdstatus (and getting back to broadband after a
                        > > week without).
                        > >
                        > > I've put a link to Crowdstatus at the bottom of http://webheads.info, in
                        > > case you want to check it and can't remember its clunky URL.
                        > >
                        > > I've added Gladys to it and if anyone else wants to be added just let me
                        > > know.
                        > >
                        > > Vance

                        Helping folks understand that it's never too late to become all they ever
                        wanted to become.

                        This email is: [X] bloggable [ ] ask first [ ] private

                      • k.ergiz
                        Message 11 of 25 , May 3, 2008
                          Hi Seth

                          You are probably following Graham on Twitter. But in case you missed this, he just posted
                          this link: http://www.tweetpeek.com/
                          It seems to be exactly what you are looking for.

                          Best

                          Nergiz
                        • Susan Burg
                          Message 12 of 25 , May 5, 2008
                            Hello Vance et al,

                            I would like to join this group. Tried to do it at
                            http://crowdstatus.com/Default.aspx
                            but our group doesn't show up...I am susaneb in Twitter.

                            Btw, I have been networking in facebook where I see a lot of Webheads,
                            too. It is nice to see all of you there...also a great place to share
                            photos. Have enjoyed Paula Emmert's pics from her recent trip to
                            Italy! So I encourage everyone to join facebook.

                            Thanks & ;-)
                            Susan

                            Message 13 of 25 , May 5, 2008
                              I added you. Remember you can find this crowd at http://webheads.info (at
                              the bottom)
                              and also I made a SnipURL at http:snurl.com/webheadcrowd

                              I also made a tinyurl but I already forgot what it is

                              If you want to be added you have to write me (soooo web 1.0 !!!!)

                              You need to set privacy on twitter to where anyone can follow you while I
                              add you. I think you can restore them to private after that if you want
                              (theory, not tested).

                              You can write me offlist if you want to be added.

                              My latest Tweet addresses why anyone would want to do this. Apart from the
                              fact that it's viral ...

                              Crowdstatus e.g. http://snurl.com/webheadcrowd filters a group's tweets to
                              one place. Also lets you read twitter from behind firewall

                              My 140 characters worth,

                              Message 14 of 25 , May 6, 2008
                                ...thanks Vance...I had some problems opening the links yesterday!

                                ;-) Susan
                              • Nina Liakos
                                Message 15 of 25 , May 9, 2008
                                  Hi Robert,
                                  Your idea for using crowdstatus with your 48 Koreans echo mine with
                                  the different ways I use to connect students from Aoyama Gakuin
                                  University in Tokyo who have participated in our AGU in America
                                  program at the U of Maryland (which I reported on in my EV Fair
                                  presentation at TESOL, http://before-during-after.blogspot.com). I
                                  really like the crowdstatus idea because it wouldn't take up much
                                  time. Lots of the Japanese students don't have the skills to write a
                                  long post on a blog. Thanks for the idea!
                                  Nina

                                  --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "Squires, Robert"
                                  <robert.squires@...> wrote:

                                  > Michael,
                                  >
                                  > I have been thinking the same thing, and here is an
                                  > application I am considering. We have a group of 48 teachers visiting
                                  > this summer from Korea for a professional training program. In addition
                                  > to having a wiki for the program, I thought it would be nice for the
                                  > group to be represented on crowd status. They could visit through the
                                  > wiki and see what the rest of their colleagues are up to during their
                                  > stay in Missoula. I think a twitter insert in the sidebar wouldn't give
                                  > the full scope of the groups investigations. They also may want to share
                                  > a quick link or two that they come across in their methodology classes.
                                  > I expect crowd status to broaden communication among the participants,
                                  > highlight the options available to the group and also remain a resource
                                  > for continuing collaboration after the end of the program. I would also
                                  > like to draw previous programs into the crowd, so that teachers can be
                                  > in touch with those that have come before and will come after.
                                  >

                                  > Best,
                                  >

                                  > Robert

                                • natasabozicgrojic
                                  Message 16 of 25 , May 9, 2008
                                    Hi Vance,

                                    Crowdstatus looks great. I'd like to join too. I am lunas994 in Twitter.

                                    Natasa