Re: Using You Tube with a Whole Class

  • Seth Dickens
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 29 8:42 AM
      Hiya Elizabeth,

      Sorry for the delayed reply, it's been a busy period (as per usual!)

      I just wanted to let you know that the lesson I was discussing here
      earlier this month went really, really well.

      I had a group of 22 15 - 17 year old German students at my school, I
      used the "6 Billion Others" site for the first half of the lesson.
      First, I showed
      the students a section of the site and a couple of videos I really
      like, while they answered questions on it, which they really enjoyed.

      They then watched one of the videos on the site that most interested
      them and discussed it with their partners. This stage went really
      well too.

      Finally, I got the students to write "meaningful" questions (based on
      the type of questions the interviewer asked on the 6 Billion Others
      site) for each
      other and to record their answers using You Tube. This section went
      so, so well. There were some amazingly insightful questions and
      answers from
      an age group that doesn't often open up. I really enjoyed the lesson, and
      watching their answers afterwards made it all the more worthwhile.

      Thankfully the lesson went swimmingly on the technical side too (i.e.
      you CAN use lots of Web Cams and do multiple Quick Capture uploads to
      YouTube at the same time
      from one IP address)

      I'm planning on writing up a full, easy to follow lesson plan and
      posting it to my blog eventually ( http://sethdickens.blogspot.com )
      I'll let you know when I do. If you want any help or if you have any
      questions on teaching the lesson feel free to ask and I'll be happy to
      help.

      All the best, have fun and enjoy the sun!

      Seth Dickens.