Re: [evonline2002_webheads] crowdstatus

    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 17, 2008
      Good question bee, caused me to dig around a bit. I'm at two computers now,
      both behind the UAE social networking unfriendly firewall, but one has a VPN
      set up to enable me to see past the firewall.

      Twitter is blocked in UAE as is Friendfeed. However, I can get Pownce here,
      and Twemes and Crowdstatus both work over the firewall. The latter two both
      aggregate and deliver content AND I can read that content on a normally
      functioning computer here in the UAE, that is it is updated and viewable,
      via the UAE firewall.

      In other words, these are both good ways for me to follow feeds I want to
      monitor from work let's say where since I have to go through an additional
      layer of a LAN I can't get Twitter there at all.

      With Twemes however, I have no control over what is posted there. The
      poster has to add the #wiany tag to the post (at the cost of 6 valuable
      message characters gasp!!)

      Friendfeed which I'm checking now via the VPN looks very interesting. I'll
      have to check that one out. I think I've seen it before ... I have!! HAH I
      just signed IN. I've actually signed up before. How quickly one forgets in
      this day of sipping from the firehose. Ok, I'll have to USE it more ... ;-)
      It seems to aggregate a lot of water from the firehose, not just Twitter.
      So I guess it's to collect a number of feeds in one place. Also, not sure
      right now if anyone can view my feeds. Like can we setup a Webheadsinaction
      friendfeed that all of us can access?

      So Crowdstatus is just one more gulp of water in the firehose. It's purpose
      seems to be a place where one person (like me) can collect feeds from a
      number of related sources (like folks in Webheadsinaction) and put them
      where everyone in that group or network can see them conveniently in one
      place http://crowdstatus.com/webheadsinactioncrowd.aspx with this bonus
      should you be behind one: through a firewall.

      Incidentally, if you want to be added to that feed, when you email me,
      please INCLUDE your TWITTER username.

      Very simple to add you if you do that. If not I have to do some research,
      not necessarily simple.