A Webhead's Shoes

  • Michael Coghlan
    Message 1 of 19 , Apr 4, 2008
      The question is - which webhead was seen wearing these shoes at TESOL
      NY???? (No one in NY is allowed to answer.)

      http://www.flickr.com/photos/mikecogh/2388083213/

      - Michael
    • John Hibbs
      Message 2 of 19 , Apr 5, 2008
        At 12:25 PM +1030 4/5/08, Michael Coghlan wrote:
        >The question is - which webhead was seen wearing these shoes at
        >TESOL NY???? (No one in NY is allowed to answer.)
        ><http://www.flickr.com/photos/mikecogh/2388083213>

        My guess is --- Moira Hunter

        But what a great, great idea!!!! What's the prize? And who has ideas
        how to parlay this idea for use in your classrooms? for fundraising?
        to show off the power of a physical event tied to smart use of
        technology? to get covered by the New York Times?

        Great idea Michael Coghlan -- who I am not sure is in New York ---
        or in Melbourne?

        >- Michael
      • Evelyn Izquierdo
        Message 3 of 19 , Apr 5, 2008
          I know the answer. It's A.Y. May I say her full name?

          Evelyn

          John Hibbs <skipper@...> escribió:
          At 12:25 PM +1030 4/5/08, Michael Coghlan wrote:
          >The question is - which webhead was seen wearing these shoes at
          >TESOL NY???? (No one in NY is allowed to answer.)
          ><http://www.flickr.com/photos/mikecogh/2388083213>

          My guess is --- Moira Hunter

          But what a great, great idea!!!! What's the prize? And who has ideas
          how to parlay this idea for use in your classrooms? for fundraising?
          to show off the power of a physical event tied to smart use of
          technology? to get covered by the New York Times?

          Great idea Michael Coghlan -- who I am not sure is in New York ---
          or in Melbourne?

          >- Michael

        • Susan Burg
          Message 4 of 19 , Apr 5, 2008
            Micheal thanks for these wonderful photos...you ALL look beautiful!
            How nice to meet every year! I am going to have to come one time myself!

            hugs, Susan

            > The question is - which webhead was seen wearing these shoes at TESOL
            > NY???? (No one in NY is allowed to answer.)
            >
            > http://www.flickr.com/photos/mikecogh/2388083213/
            >
            > - Michael

          • Nina Lyulkun
            Message 5 of 19 , Apr 5, 2008
              I guess it's Aiden or Teresa.

              Nina

              Message 6 of 19 , Apr 5, 2008
                Yes, Susan,

                the webheads look great and have lots of fun meet each other f2f.
                Thanks a ton, Michael.

                Nina

                On Sat, Apr 5, 2008 at 6:19 PM, Susan Burg <smoky7@...> wrote:

                > Micheal thanks for these wonderful photos...you ALL look beautiful!
                > How nice to meet every year! I am going to have to come one time myself!
                >
                > hugs, Susan
                >
                > > The question is - which webhead was seen wearing these shoes at TESOL
                > > NY???? (No one in NY is allowed to answer.)
                > >
                > > http://www.flickr.com/photos/mikecogh/2388083213/
                > >
                > > - Michal

              • Evelyn Izquierdo
                Message 7 of 19 , Apr 5, 2008
                  It's A.Y. = Aiden Yeh, a Webhead in Taiwan.

                  Evelyn
                  ******************

                  wrote:

                  > I know the answer. It's A.Y. May I say her full name?
                  >
                  > Evelyn
                  >

                  > John Hibbs <skipper@... <skipper%40bfranklin.edu>> escribió:
                  >
                  > At 12:25 PM +1030 4/5/08, Michael Coghlan wrote:
                  > >The question is - which webhead was seen wearing these shoes at
                  > >TESOL NY???? (No one in NY is allowed to answer.)
                  > ><http://www.flickr.com/photos/mikecogh/2388083213>
                  >
                  > My guess is --- Moira Hunter
                  >
                  > But what a great, great idea!!!! What's the prize? And who has ideas
                  > how to parlay this idea for use in your classrooms? for fundraising?
                  > to show off the power of a physical event tied to smart use of
                  > technology? to get covered by the New York Times?
                  >
                  > Great idea Michael Coghlan -- who I am not sure is in New York ---
                  > or in Melbourne?
                  >

                  > >- Michael

                • Michael Coghlan
                  Message 8 of 19 , Apr 5, 2008
                    Congrats to those who guessed correctly! These 'killer shoes' belong
                    to Aiden Yeh. Other nominations were for Moira Hunter and Graham Stanley...

                    No prizes unfortunately - just the honour of being right :-)

                    - Michael (and yes John I'm in New York)

                    ----------

                    At 11:25 AM 4/5/2008, you wrote:

                    >The question is - which webhead was seen wearing these shoes at TESOL
                    >NY???? (No one in NY is allowed to answer.)
                    >
                    ><http://www.flickr.com/photos/mikecogh/2388083213/>http://www.flickr.com/photos/mikecogh/2388083213/
                    >
                    >- Michael

                  • Evelyn Izquierdo
                    Message 9 of 19 , Apr 5, 2008
                      Thank you, Mike. It was fun! Congrats Aiden! Your shoes are beautiful!
                      Eve

                      Michael Coghlan <michaelc@...> escribió:
                      Congrats to those who guessed correctly! These 'killer shoes' belong
                      to Aiden Yeh. Other nominations were for Moira Hunter and Graham Stanley...

                      No prizes unfortunately - just the honour of being right :-)

                      - Michael (and yes John I'm in New York)

                      Recent Activity

                      4
                      New Members

                      Visit Your Group
                      Y! Messenger
                      Instant smiles
                      Share photos while
                      you IM friends.

                      All-Bran
                      Day 10 Club
                      on Yahoo! Groups
                      Feel better with fiber.

                      Change your life
                      with Yahoo! Groups
                      balance nutrition,
                      activity & well-being.

                      .

                    • Aiden Yeh
                      Message 10 of 19 , Apr 5, 2008
                        Hey you guys! I thought you were just joking, Michael! But you really did put it online, LOL! For those who have guessed it, how in the world did you know? :-) Mike is right, those are killer shoes- almost lost my feet with those and my toes are still sore. The shoes are actually great (BCBG Max) but with the kind of walking I did in NY- those were the wrong shoes for me. I wonder then, how can Jessica Parker stand walking the streets of New York in her Jimmy Choo stilletos? beats me.

                        Anyway, I'm now in Newark, NJ- waiting for my flight back to Taiwan- passing Japan first- then Taiwan.

                        It'll be another busy school week for me.

                        Aiden

[...]

                        Lecturer, Wen Zao Ursuline College of Foreign Languages
                        PhD Candidate, Birmingham University
                        TESOL Member, Electronic Village Online Coordinating Team
                        TESOL NNEST Caucus List-Serv Manager
                        TESOL Membership Committee, Student Team Member
                        Join TESOL, https://www2.tesol.org/mbr/application.html
                        http://dcyeh.com

                      • Dafne
                        Message 11 of 19 , Apr 5, 2008
                          I am back from NY. The more I visit new NY the more I
                          like it. A walkable, clean and safe (yesssss) city.
                          Fortunately, I wore comfortable (not fancy) shoes ;-)
                          and my feet are grateful :-)

                          The best part of the trip? Meeting Michael and
                          Jonathan f2f for the first time :-) and of course
                          getting together again with other webheads, and
                          getting a rose from Dennis while having Dinner with
                          webheads friends.

                          Unforgettable moments: chit chatting with Tere every
                          night before falling asleep.

                          The worse part: leaving for the airport at 3 am (now
                          it is 11:30 pm, so I am ready to go to bed.

                          Accomplished personal objectives:

                          1. getting my DELL laptop (4 GB RAM) which Laine
                          kindly received, kept at her place and delivered to my
                          hotel. Thanks a million, Laine :-)

                          2. Having bagel with cream cheese and salmon for
                          breakfast

                          3. Having a huge Reuben at Stage Deli

                          There were many other nice moments and details, but I
                          can hardly keep my eyes open, so this is it for now.

                          hugs,

                          Daf

                        • Maru del Campo
                          Message 12 of 19 , Apr 5, 2008
                            Welcome back dear!

                            I am glad to hear details of your trip and accomplishments.
                            I was also very excited listening to your voice online!
                            I hope you had a sound rest!
                            Love: Maru

                            Dafne <dygonza@...> wrote:
[...]

                            Blog: mmvcentro.blogspot.com
                            Neurona CV site: http://maria-eugenia-del-campo-velasco.neurona.com
                            BaeL_PC Student's Community: http://bilingueactivoelear.ning.com

                          • Nina Lyulkun
                            Message 13 of 19 , Apr 5, 2008
                              Dear Dafne,

                              Thank you very much for your feedback about your unforgettable staying
                              around with dear friends webheads there.
                              It really sounds exciting. We are all very happy for you all and followed
                              you observing pictures with sweet imaginations.

                              Stay happy and keep smiling.

                              Love,
                              Nina Lyulkun

                              Dafne <dygonza@... <dygonza%40yahoo.com>> wrote:
                              > I am back from NY. The more I visit new NY the more I
                              > like it. A walkable, clean and safe (yesssss) city.
                              > Fortunately, I wore comfortable (not fancy) shoes ;-)
                              > and my feet are grateful :-)
                              >
                              > The best part of the trip? Meeting Michael and
                              > Jonathan f2f for the first time :-) and of course
                              > getting together again with other webheads, and
                              > getting a rose from Dennis while having Dinner with
                              > webheads friends.
                              >
                              > Unforgettable moments: chit chatting with Tere every
                              > night before falling asleep.
                              >
                              > The worse part: leaving for the airport at 3 am (now
                              > it is 11:30 pm, so I am ready to go to bed.
                              >
                              > Accomplished personal objectives:
                              >
                              > 1. getting my DELL laptop (4 GB RAM) which Laine
                              > kindly received, kept at her place and delivered to my
                              > hotel. Thanks a million, Laine :-)
                              >
                              > 2. Having bagel with cream cheese and salmon for
                              > breakfast
                              >
                              > 3. Having a huge Reuben at Stage Deli
                              >
                              > There were many other nice moments and details, but I
                              > can hardly keep my eyes open, so this is it for now.
                              >
                              > hugs,
                              >
                              > Daf

                            • Carla arena
                              Message 14 of 19 , Apr 6, 2008
                                Dear Aiden,

                                Though your feet may be sore, you looked wonderful wearing them, like a New
                                Yorker!

                                It was great fun to be with you.

                                Beijos from a patient Brazilian waiting for her flight back to Key West,
                                Carla

                                Carla Arena
                                http://explorations.bloxi.jp
                                http://brazilnaskeywest.wordpress.com

                              • Maria Irene Albers
                                Message 15 of 19 , Apr 6, 2008
                                  Dear Daf,
                                  The description you made of the visit to NY brought me back to 1991, when we first met. Do you remember, sharing the room with Emma, and my helping you pack all the stuff you bought? From that moment on we have had really nice experiences: at the 1995 Tesol Summer Instutute, here in Valencia, then at the Simon Bolivar where we were classmates, to name some.
                                  Welcome back,
                                  María Irene

[...]

                                  http://tc.deals yahoo.com/ tc/blockbuster/ text5.com

                                  <!--

                                  #ygrp-mkp{
                                  #ygrp-mkp hr{
                                  border:1px solid #d8d8d8;}
                                  #ygrp-mkp #hd{
                                  #ygrp-mkp #ads{
                                  margin-bottom:10px;}
                                  #ygrp-mkp .ad{
                                  padding:0 0;}
                                  #ygrp-mkp .ad a{
                                  color:#0000ff;text-decoration:none;}
                                  -->

                                  <!--

                                  #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc{
                                  font-family:Arial;}
                                  #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc #hd{
                                  #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc .ad{
                                  margin-bottom:10px;padding:0 0;}
                                  -->

                                  <!--

                                  #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}
                                  #ygrp-text{
                                  font-family:Georgia;
                                  }
                                  #ygrp-text p{
                                  margin:0 0 1em 0;}
                                  #ygrp-tpmsgs{
                                  font-family:Arial;
                                  clear:both;}
                                  #ygrp-vitnav{
                                  #ygrp-vitnav a{
                                  padding:0 1px;}
                                  #ygrp-actbar{
                                  #ygrp-actbar .left{
                                  float:left;white-space:nowrap;}
                                  .bld{font-weight:bold;}
                                  #ygrp-grft{
                                  #ygrp-ft{
                                  padding:5px 0;
                                  }
                                  #ygrp-mlmsg #logo{
                                  padding-bottom:10px;}

                                  #ygrp-reco {
                                  margin-bottom:20px;padding:0px;}
                                  #ygrp-reco #reco-head {
                                  font-weight:bold;color:#ff7900;}

                                  #reco-grpname{
                                  font-weight:bold;margin-top:10px;}
                                  #reco-category{
                                  font-size:77%;}
                                  #reco-desc{
                                  font-size:77%;}

                                  #ygrp-vital{
                                  #ygrp-vital #vithd{
                                  #ygrp-vital ul{
                                  padding:0;margin:2px 0;}
                                  #ygrp-vital ul li{
                                  }
                                  #ygrp-vital ul li .ct{
                                  #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{
                                  font-weight:bold;}
                                  #ygrp-vital a{
                                  text-decoration:none;}

                                  #ygrp-vital a:hover{
                                  text-decoration:underline;}

                                  #ygrp-sponsor #hd{
                                  color:#999;font-size:77%;}
                                  #ygrp-sponsor #ov{
                                  #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{
                                  padding:0 0 0 8px;margin:0;}
                                  #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{
                                  #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{
                                  text-decoration:none;font-size:130%;}
                                  #ygrp-sponsor #nc{
                                  #ygrp-sponsor .ad{
                                  padding:8px 0;}
                                  #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{
                                  #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{
                                  text-decoration:none;}
                                  #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{
                                  text-decoration:underline;}
                                  #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{
                                  margin:0;}
                                  o{font-size:0;}
                                  .MsoNormal{
                                  margin:0 0 0 0;}
                                  #ygrp-text tt{
                                  font-size:120%;}
                                  blockquote{margin:0 0 0 4px;}
                                  .replbq{margin:4;}
                                  -->

                                • Alicia
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Apr 6, 2008
                                    Hi Daf!

                                    Nice to hear all that, and I am happy you could accomplish all those aims.

                                    We'll meet soon in SL!

                                    Glad you are back.

                                    alicia -wonderalica

                                    Message 17 of 19 , Apr 6, 2008
                                      Yep, Maria, those old good times when we could get $
                                      in Venezuela and spend them in NY or wherever.

                                      Now back to reality :-(

                                      hugs,

                                      Daf

                                      --- Maria Irene Albers <miaupju@...> wrote:

                                      > Dear Daf,
                                      > The description you made of the visit to NY brought
                                      > me back to 1991, when we first met. Do you
                                      > remember, sharing the room with Emma, and my helping
                                      > you pack all the stuff you bought? From that moment
                                      > on we have had really nice experiences: at the 1995
                                      > Tesol Summer Instutute, here in Valencia, then at
                                      > the Simon Bolivar where we were classmates, to name
                                      > some.
                                      > Welcome back,
                                      > María Irene

                                      0px;font-weight:bold;font-size:78%;line-height:122%;}
                                      > #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc .ad{
                                      > margin-bottom:10px;padding:0 0;}
                                      > -->
                                      >
                                      > <!--
                                      >
                                      > #ygrp-mlmsg {font-size:13px;font-family:arial,
                                      > helvetica, clean, sans-serif;}
                                      > #ygrp-mlmsg select, input, textarea {font:99% arial,
                                      > helvetica, clean, sans-serif;}
                                      > #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}
                                      > #ygrp-text{
                                      > font-family:Georgia;
                                      > }
                                      > #ygrp-text p{
                                      > margin:0 0 1em 0;}
                                      > #ygrp-tpmsgs{
                                      > font-family:Arial;
                                      > clear:both;}
                                      > #ygrp-vitnav{

                                      > #ygrp-vitnav a{
                                      > padding:0 1px;}
                                      > #ygrp-actbar{
                                      > clear:both;margin:25px
                                      > 0;white-space:nowrap;color:#666;text-align:right;}
                                      > #ygrp-actbar .left{
                                      > float:left;white-space:nowrap;}
                                      > .bld{font-weight:bold;}
                                      > #ygrp-grft{
                                      > #ygrp-ft{
                                      > font-family:verdana;font-size:77%;border-top:1px
                                      > solid #666;
                                      > padding:5px 0;
                                      > }
                                      > #ygrp-mlmsg #logo{
                                      > padding-bottom:10px;}
                                      >
                                      > #ygrp-reco {
                                      > margin-bottom:20px;padding:0px;}
                                      > #ygrp-reco #reco-head {
                                      > font-weight:bold;color:#ff7900;}
                                      >
                                      > #reco-grpname{
                                      > font-weight:bold;margin-top:10px;}
                                      > #reco-category{
                                      > font-size:77%;}
                                      > #reco-desc{
                                      > font-size:77%;}
                                      >
                                      > #ygrp-vital{

                                      background-color:#e0ecee;margin-bottom:20px;padding:2px

                                      === message truncated ===

                                    • Michael Coghlan
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Apr 6, 2008
                                        So that's where you got to Daf! I went back to the EV room at TESOL
                                        Saturday afternoon hoping to catch you and others one last time.
                                        Vance, David Winet, Carla, Nina and Christine were still there but no
                                        sign of you, Aiden or Teresa. Luckily I caught Rita on her way out of
                                        the hotel and we had one last big hug.

                                        Hopefully everyone is now safely back home. (except for Vance who is
                                        now in Exeter.)

                                        What a wonderful occasion it was here in NY. One of the great thrills
                                        of modern life is being an online worker and meeting people you've
                                        worked with f2f - it is such a blast. Lots of hugs, smiles, and
                                        generally enjoying each others company for a precious few days. As
                                        someone wrote after looking at the photos, it was clear that the
                                        respect and affection felt between people online is not just virtual.

                                        This was a dream come true for me. And I think there was a conference
                                        on somewhere too ;-)

                                        - Michael

                                        ----------

                                        At 12:07 PM 4/6/2008, Daf wrote:

                                        >I am back from NY. The more I visit new NY the more I
                                        >like it. A walkable, clean and safe (yesssss) city.
                                        >Fortunately, I wore comfortable (not fancy) shoes ;-)
                                        >and my feet are grateful :-)
                                        >
                                        >The best part of the trip? Meeting Michael and
                                        >Jonathan f2f for the first time :-) and of course
                                        >getting together again with other webheads, and
                                        >getting a rose from Dennis while having Dinner with
                                        >webheads friends.
                                        >
                                        >Unforgettable moments: chit chatting with Tere every
                                        >night before falling asleep.
                                        >
                                        >The worse part: leaving for the airport at 3 am (now
                                        >it is 11:30 pm, so I am ready to go to bed.
                                        >
                                        >Accomplished personal objectives:
                                        >
                                        >1. getting my DELL laptop (4 GB RAM) which Laine
                                        >kindly received, kept at her place and delivered to my
                                        >hotel. Thanks a million, Laine :-)
                                        >
                                        >2. Having bagel with cream cheese and salmon for
                                        >breakfast
                                        >
                                        >3. Having a huge Reuben at Stage Deli
                                        >
                                        >There were many other nice moments and details, but I
                                        >can hardly keep my eyes open, so this is it for now.
                                        >
                                        >hugs,
                                        >
                                        >Daf

                                      • John Hibbs
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Apr 7, 2008
                                          At 1:03 PM +0930 4/7/08, Michael Coghlan wrote:
                                          >So that's where you got to Daf! I went back to the EV room at TESOL
                                          >Saturday afternoon hoping to catch you and others one last time.
                                          >Vance, David Winet, Carla, Nina and Christine were still there but no
                                          >sign of you, Aiden or Teresa. Luckily I caught Rita on her way out of
                                          >the hotel and we had one last big hug.

                                          My dream was for Global Learn Day participants -- which included many
                                          of the names Michael just listed, and many more from around the world
                                          - was to take a three day sail (out of San Diego for Mexico??) with a
                                          ship load of GLDers.

                                          No laptops or blackberries allowed, no creeping away to find a cyber
                                          cafe (excepting for one individual assigned to post photos and
                                          videos); the whole entire purpose would be to cement friendships --
                                          and of course do light - or heavy? - brainstorming on how to increase
                                          access to education, affordably, worldwide.

                                          Alas, this "dream" has to await leadership from the Webheads. And why
                                          not.? You guys are the best such group on the planet - make no
                                          mistake about that!!!

                                          Congratulations.

                                          John Hibbs
                                          "Inside ESL classrooms are the leaders of tomorrow --- and the
                                          network to the leadership of today."