Re: CoP planning

  • Dafne
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 11, 2002
      Dear Tere, your useful Index is here: (on the portal page):

      Electronic Village (EV) Online 2003 session, Monday, Jan. 20 -
      Friday, March 7, 2003

      Some perspectives on this event:

      The 2003 EVOnline portal page: http://academics.smcvt.edu/cbauer-
      ramazani/TESOL/EVOL/evol2003.htm
      The YahooGroup portal for this session:
      join
      Teresa's Full Index of Webheads sites (THIS IS IT!)

      You did a great job, Tere, thanks a lot!

      hugs,
      Daf

      --- In evonline2002_webheads@y..., "Teresa Almeida d'Eca"
      <tmvaz@m...> wrote:
      > Vance,
      >
      > I'm ashamed to say, but I can't find the Index you call excellent.
      I bow to
      > your compliment :-). I must be really tired! :-(
      >
      > It's ok with me if you keep it (wherever it is! ;-), though having
      it in my
      > web site certainly facilitates trying to keep it up to date.
      >
      > However, let it stay where it is - but pinpoint it for me, ok? -
      for a
      > couple of more days, because I have a hectic week.
      >
      > I will also try to sort out my ideas for my week in Feb, get in
      touch with
      > my good friends, define things and will then let you know what
      comes out,
      > ok?
      >
      > I'm off to bed! Cheers, Teresa
      >

      > > I've linked Teresa's excellent Index from the portal page. I
      stashed the
      > file in my own web area. Teresa, if you want to put this document
      in your
      > web site I can as easily link to it there, and you can maintain it
      > (encourage, encourage).
    • Aiden Yeh
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 11, 2002
        Geez, i've been out of town for a few days, and i'm only reading this very important message from Vance. Really, I had better gear up and start moving. My brain's drained and obviously, got little of it left. I believe, I'm with Dafne, Arlyn, Bouthaina, and,,, and am I missing somebody out? Forgive me- but where do I start from here?
        totally lost,
        Aiden Yeh
        (ok, smack me on the head, if you will)
        Vance Stevens <vstevens@...> wrote:Hi everyone,

        Thanks for the kind feedback from last years' participants in our EVOnline sessions, and this year we'll be sharing the responsibility for making our sessions interactive. Our EVOnline moderators are clearly rising to the occasion!

        To help faciliate that, I've developed our CoP portal pages with the following features:

        I've taken what Teresa, Chris Jones, Chris Johnson (bibliography) and Dafne and Rif have written tentatively planning their session and created pages for each week linked from the CoP portal page. I'll be happy to put your updates and weekly plans here, but I'd also be happy to link to your pages if you'd like to set up your own. I realize much of what's at my site is under construction, but I think it's good to get it up there where all can view it. Just let me know how you want yours changed. Keeping your own web pages puts you in charge (encourage, encourage).

        I've linked Teresa's excellent Index from the portal page. I stashed the file in my own web area. Teresa, if you want to put this document in your web site I can as easily link to it there, and you can maintain it (encourage, encourage).

        I've updated our portal site from last year at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/evonline2002_webheads so that it is current for this year. On Chris Jones's constructive prodding, I went into the Files area and added a 2003 folder with a folder in there for each of your weekly sessions. So if you have files to upload for your sessions, it should be clear where to put them.

        Daf, that Word doc you sent as an attachment, I recommend you save that as HTML and upload it to your files area.

        About the 2002 documents, I would like to create a 2002 folder and stash all that stuff there, but I don't think this is drag and drop. As far as I can see the only way to do that is to download all the files and recreate the folders the way we want them and then upload. Any volunteers? It's not a job I'm willing to undertake, unless there is another way to deal with this that I haven't noticed yet.

        Right now I'm kind of glommed on to the mechanics of this. Later I'd like to offer suggestions for the week to week conduct of these sessions. Anyone?

        Looking good, and what a pleasure to work with you great people!

        Vance

        > "All EVOnline CoP co-moderators - I need to get from
        > you some idea of how you plan to organize your
        > presentation for the week you are co-moderating.
        > Those of you who are teaming up need to get in touch
        > and report back on what you plan to do: work from a
        > web document? propose readings? get participants to
        > produce something?"

        Syllabus:

      • dafne Chavez
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 11, 2002
          Hi Aiden, how was your ETA conference? Hope you tell us about it. In relation to our session, the one missing in your list is Rita.
          We could get together the 5 of us at TI or Yahoo Messenger to discuss how we are going to handle that week. I am available any day but Thursday.
          bfn,
          DAf
          Aiden Yeh <aidenyeh@...> wrote:
> [...]

          Right now I'm kind of glommed on to the mechanics of this. Later I'd like to offer suggestions for the week to week conduct of these sessions. Anyone?

          Looking good, and what a pleasure to work with you great people!

          Vance

          > "All EVOnline CoP co-moderators - I need to get from
          > you some idea of how you plan to organize your
          > presentation for the week you are co-moderating.
          > Those of you who are teaming up need to get in touch
          > and report back on what you plan to do: work from a
          > web document? propose readings? get participants to

          Syllabus:

          Syllabus:

          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 11, 2002
            Good suggestion, ok I did that. Your file can now be found at
            http://groups.yahoo.com/group/evonline2002_webheads/files/2003/week6-feb24-mar2/abstractforEV2003-quality2.htm

            Had a look and unfortunately found your file shows evidence of the rather weak
            Word utility Save As HTML. What happens is that the hyperlinks get spread all
            over the document. The reason is this:

            In your source code there are statements such as <A
            HREF="http://www.the_rest_of_the_url.etc">the hyperlinked text here</A>

            Word creates this so that it appears as <A

            HREF="http://www.the_rest_of_the_url.etc">the hyperlinked text here</A>

            What you have to do to fix your hyperlinks is go in with a text editor (like
            Notepad) and delete the blank lines so that you join up <A HREF="http:etc ...

            A hassle I know but that's Microsoft,

            Vance

            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 11, 2002
              Goody. It's midterms week and I've got lots of free time (i'm not thinking about the post-midterm 'trauma' yet- I can just imagine the piles of test papers to check!). Okay, let's meet. How about 12 GMT, Tuesday that's tonight. If it's too soon, how about tomorrow, WEdnesday?
              About the ETA , Since the conference was also a Bookfair, the place was crowded. REally, it was like a market. The conference organizers made huge profits on this one. Yes, there were some biggies who were present, Jack Richards, David Nunan, etc. My presentation went well. I wasn't expecting anyone to be there, well, for one, my topic wasn't reay linguistically inclined. Two, Taiwanese teachers who work for language schools would seldom voice out their opinions. Third, school owners would rather keep a low profile and would defnitely despise being questioned about quality of education, teachers and profits. I was surprised and pleased to see some people in my audience who are in a position to speak about policies and change. There were a handful from universities, and private firms, mostly foreigners. And one, from a very distinguished university here in Taiwan, Chung Shan University. He spoke eloquently and found the connection to what I was saying. The discussions were lively and meaningful, the audience spoke and asked questions from one another. The discussions were intense to the point that we spent 5 extra minutes. We had to stop because the next presenter was literally standing by the door. It was good, and it felt good. Miki took some photos and i'll put them up on the web. I wanted to webcast the whole thing, but I couldn't make the GPRS system work. Thank you anyways to those who vouched for support and committed themselves for that day. I apologize for this.
              Venny sent me an email informing me that he was there too, but he was too busy, so my invitation to meet was turned down. Perhaps some other time.
              However, suprisingly, Rachel (efiwebheads) called me this morning and I was so ecstatic that I introduced my self to her for about 10 minutes. We talked about my presentation, my studies and hers, my teaching and so many other things. She was surprised to find out that I've got 3 kids and still manage to teach, study, attend conferences, etc. Well, I am superwoman and I'm married to Superman LOL. Kidding aside, what else can I say? The truth is, amidst all this chaotic schedule and lifestyle, I still got time for my family. My husband and two children were with me during the conference, for moral support, and they will be with me in Baltimore, next year. We might also bring our youngest son. We're like the Grady Bunch- ;-)
              I'll try to setup a webpage for my ETA presentation. I would like to publish my powerpoint presentation online and am currently trying to figure out how it works with geocities. Any tips, from anyone?
              Aiden Yeh
              Aiden Yeh <aidenyeh@...> wrote:
> [...]

              Right now I'm kind of glommed on to the mechanics of this. Later I'd like to offer suggestions for the week to week conduct of these sessions. Anyone?

              Looking good, and what a pleasure to work with you great people!

              Vance

              > "All EVOnline CoP co-moderators - I need to get from
              > you some idea of how you plan to organize your
              > presentation for the week you are co-moderating.
              > Those of you who are teaming up need to get in touch
              > and report back on what you plan to do: work from a
              > web document? propose readings? get participants to

              Syllabus:

              Syllabus:

              Syllabus:

            • dafne Chavez
              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 12, 2002
                Oops, I was not aware of what had happened. I will take care of it.
                Thanks, Vance
                Daf
                Vance Stevens <vstevens@...> wrote:Good suggestion, ok I did that. Your file can now be found at

                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 12, 2002
                  WOW! Congratulations on your successfull presentation. It's a pity we could not be there, but it seems you had a whole bunch to take care of.
                  I think it is a better idea to meet tomorrow noon GMT(Wednesday) to give the others time to read the message and get back to us.
                  I have not uploaded Power Point documents to Geocities yet, if I find out I will let you know.
                  Hugs,
                  DAf
                  Aiden Yeh <aidenyeh@...> wrote:
> [...]

                  Right now I'm kind of glommed on to the mechanics of this. Later I'd like to offer suggestions for the week to week conduct of these sessions. Anyone?

                  Looking good, and what a pleasure to work with you great people!

                  Vance

                  > "All EVOnline CoP co-moderators - I need to get from
                  > you some idea of how you plan to organize your
                  > presentation for the week you are co-moderating.
                  > Those of you who are teaming up need to get in touch
                  > and report back on what you plan to do: work from a
                  > web document? propose readings? get participants to

                  Syllabus:

                  Syllabus:

                  Syllabus:

                  Syllabus:

                • Rita Zeinstejer
                  Message 8 of 15 , Nov 13, 2002
                    Hi, Daf and Aiden,
                    Yes, I seem to be missing in the list. Most probably because I myself have
                    been absent lately...This time of the year here is hectic -end-of-school
                    year with final exams, reports, meetings, etc- plus family
                    situations -ninety-year-old parents- plus grandchildren to mind sometimes,
                    as it was the case last Sunday, when I had to quit our session in a
                    hurry....:-( ...Sorry about all this, but "one is always one and one's
                    circumstances"....). I'm trying to catch up right now, and see that it might
                    be rather difficult to agree on the time for a joint live discussion. Would
                    it be too hard for you to extend our Sunday session...?
                    Thank you for your patience
                    Rita

                    Message 9 of 15 , Nov 15, 2002
                      Vance,

                      Here's an update on ETA conference, this was sent to the list under
                      the subject heading, CoP.

                      > About the ETA , Since the conference was also a Bookfair, the
                      place was crowded. REally, it was like a market. The conference
                      organizers made huge profits on this one. Yes, there were some
                      biggies who were present, Jack Richards, David Nunan, etc. My
                      presentation went well. I wasn't expecting anyone to be there, well,
                      for one, my topic wasn't reay linguistically inclined. Two, Taiwanese
                      teachers who work for language schools would seldom voice out their
                      opinions. Third, school owners would rather keep a low profile and
                      would defnitely despise being questioned about quality of education,
                      teachers and profits. I was surprised and pleased to see some people
                      in my audience who are in a position to speak about policies and
                      change. There were a handful from universities, and private firms,
                      mostly foreigners. And one, from a very distinguished university here
                      in Taiwan, Chung Shan University. He spoke eloquently and found the
                      connection to what I was saying. The discussions were lively and
                      meaningful, the audience spoke and asked questions from one another.
                      The discussions were intense to the point that we spent 5 extra
                      minutes. We had to stop because the next presenter was literally
                      standing by the door. It was good, and it felt good. Miki took some
                      photos and i'll put them up on the web. I wanted to webcast the whole
                      thing, but I couldn't make the GPRS system work. Thank you anyways to
                      those who vouched for support and committed themselves for that day.
                      I apologize for this.
                      > Venny sent me an email informing me that he was there too, but he
                      was too busy, so my invitation to meet was turned down. Perhaps some
                      other time.
                      > However, suprisingly, Rachel (efiwebheads) called me this morning
                      and I was so ecstatic that I introduced my self to her for about 10
                      minutes. We talked about my presentation, my studies and hers, my
                      teaching and so many other things. She was surprised to find out that
                      I've got 3 kids and still manage to teach, study, attend conferences,
                      etc. Well, I am superwoman and I'm married to Superman LOL. Kidding
                      aside, what else can I say? The truth is, amidst all this chaotic
                      schedule and lifestyle, I still got time for my family. My husband
                      and two children were with me during the conference, for moral
                      support, and they will be with me in Baltimore, next year. We might
                      also bring our youngest son. We're like the Grady Bunch- ;-)

                      Aiden
                      Message 10 of 15 , Nov 16, 2002
                        Aiden,

                        A very insightful description of the ETA Conference, especially of your
                        presentation. I'm glad you were able to make your point and had VIP people
                        present who may influence the 'status quo'.

                        Another good example of how gratifying it can be (not always, unfortunately)
                        'to fight for what we believe in'!

                        Yes, it is nice to have 'family support'. Joao, my husband, goes with me
                        most of the times when it's in Portugal. When I attended TESOL in 2001, we
                        spent a few days in New York prior to the conference and then each one
                        followed his/her way. He can't take that much time off from work.

                        When my first book came out 4 years ago (time does fly!), there was a formal
                        presentation for teachers in my area at a big conference auditorium. I had
                        my parents, my husband and children, and my middle brother sitting in the
                        audience for 'moral support'. They were also very proud, as I was, because
                        it had never run through my mind that I'd be writing a book!

                        Congrats 'superwoman! That's the way to go!!!

                        Hugs, Teresa

                        Message 11 of 15 , Nov 16, 2002
                          I'll second all that.

                          Thanks for sending it along again. I saw it the first time but enjoyed the
                          re-read.

                          Vance

                          Teresa Almeida d'Eca wrote:

                          > Aiden,
                          >
                          > A very insightful description of the ETA Conference, especially of your
                          > presentation. I'm glad you were able to make your point and had VIP people
                          > present who may influence the 'status quo'.

                          > <snip>

                          > Congrats 'superwoman! That's the way to go!!!
                          >
                          > Hugs, Teresa
                          >
                          > > Vance,
                          > >
                          > > Here's an update on ETA conference, this was sent to the list under
                          > > the subject heading, CoP.

                          <snip>
                        • Aiden Yeh
                          Message 12 of 15 , Nov 16, 2002
                            Tere and Vance,
                            Thanks.
                            Vance, I read your email asking how my ETA presentation went and that was after I have sent to the list an account of what happened- so I thought that you missed it, and I just had to send it again because I don't want you to feel that you're being snobbed.
                            Cheers,
                            Aiden
                            Vance Stevens <vstevens@...> wrote:I'll second all that.

                            Teresa Almeida d'Eca wrote:

                            > Aiden,
                            >
                            > A very insightful description of the ETA Conference, especially of your
                            > presentation. I'm glad you were able to make your point and had VIP people
                            > present who may influence the 'status quo'.

                            > <snip>

                            > Congrats 'superwoman! That's the way to go!!!
                            >
                            > Hugs, Teresa
                            >
                            > > Vance,
                            > >
                            > > Here's an update on ETA conference, this was sent to the list under
                            > > the subject heading, CoP.

                            <snip>

                            Syllabus: