Dispatch from TESOL NYC April 4, 2008

    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 4 6:46 AM
      Hi all,

      I'm in the CALL IS Academic session at TESOL and to make a long story
      short, we were not able to get internet working here, with a small
      exception which I am using now in order to explain.

      The wireless at the hotels in NYC is not robust at all, so that
      doesn't work. We tried bringing in a wire while Elizabeth was
      speaking but were unable to get it working on anything other than the
      technician's computer. In the end the techie loaned me his computer
      and I'm using it to write this email.

      I would like to have UStreamed the session but have no installation
      disk with me for my webcam so can't use the Techie computer for that.
      I am recording Rong Yuan, Christine's, Mary Ellen's and my
      presentations using Audacity on my computer and I'll podcast those
      later (too bad we missed Elizabeth's great presentation, but check it
      out at tesol-tech-sla.wikispaces.com.

      So, there is nothing online for 11:30 to 15:15 today, but the Second
      Life session is still scheduled to take place from 16:00 GMT to 17:30
      GMT. This is a workshop I offered to give when the original presenters
      failed to turn up. I'm hoping to get help from Baldrick Commons and
      David Denning (Stanley and Winet). If you are available at that time
      please drop by Edunation and look for the green dots, or offer
      friendship to Webhead Link and we'll teleport you.

      Hope to see you there,

      Vance
    • John Hibbs
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 4 7:13 AM
        Vance, you always, always, always amaze me....as do so many of your
        Webhead followers.

        Thank you for the update. These kinds of missives should be put into
        a hard copy book -- somewhat like Vaclev Havel's "Letters to Olga" --
        written while he was in jail for umpteen years in Prague.

        They show your skills, and those of other Webheads.

        They also show how little value is placed on reliable, very fast connectivity.

        I mean -- would your hotel not have hot water?

        Kind regards,
        John.

        At 1:46 PM +0000 4/4/08, Vance Stevens wrote:
        >Hi all,
        >
        >I'm in the CALL IS Academic session at TESOL and to make a long story
        >short, we were not able to get internet working here, with a small
        exception which I am using now in order to explain.

        snip snip
      • Gavin Dudeney
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 4 9:21 AM
          Vance,

          A few of us here, but no you :-(

          Gavin

          c/ Ceramica 54, 08035 Barcelona, Spain

          Tel: +34 93 427 4240 | +44 20 7193 0770

          http://www.theconsultants-e.com <http://www.theconsultants-e.com/>

          Winners of a 2007 British Council ELTON award - http://tinyurl.com/3e2c54

          Owners of the Second Life EduNation sims - http://tinyurl.com/34l8mw

          Sponsors of the UK Moodle Conference - http://www.moodlemoot.org
          <http://www.moodlemoot.org/>

          CONFIDENTIALITY AND DISCLAIMER NOTICE

          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 4 9:28 AM
            Gavin,
            Vance just said that he is on his way.

            Robert at NY TESOL

            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 4 5:59 PM
              Hi Gavin,

              We had 10 computers, 20 newbies, and ten old hands, so we needed all computers for the newbies  There  was some delay as we explained SL to them and then got them as quickly as possible onto the computers.  Thanks for waiting around for us and helping the visitors.  THey really enjoyed it.  The event was a great success.  It was perfect having you there to talk to people,

[...]

              Individual Email | Traditional

              To change settings via email:
              mailto:evonline2002_webheads-digest@yahoogroups.com
              mailto:evonline2002_webheads-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com