Organizing our CoP session

    Message 1 of 28 , Nov 4, 2002
      Hi everyone,

      Chris (Jones) posted her email (extracted below) to the Evonline group, which is the YahooGroup comprising all moderators giving sessions from Jan 20-March 7, 2003. Several members of this evonline2002_webheads list are among those moderators, as we are putting on an EVOnline workshop entitled Communities of practice online: Reflection through experience and experiment with the Webheads community of language learners and practitioners.

      http://www.vancestevens.com/papers/tesol/baltimore2003/copractice.html#workshop

      During this period, we expect we will have new members join us in order to learn about our community, and it appears to be of interest to many of our current members to examine our community and to learn how it relates to other such communities of practice so that we may be better able to articulate how communities such as ours form and sustain themselves. Indeed most members of this list joined during the last EVOnline session and are familiar with what that entails.

      Between now and January, some of our list traffic will address issues pertaining to how we organize and conduct our next EVOnline session, and this is one of those emails.

      Everyone on this list will of course be involved in this session because most of the interaction will happen right here. The moderators (of all the sessions) are being offered pretraining mainly dealing with familiarizing them with the features of YahooGroups. As I intend to use our existing YahooGroup at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/evonline2002_webheads our team of co-moderators doesn't need to know how to set up such a list. However co-moderators should be (and probably are) familiar with the features available at our YahooGroups site. Co-moderators can refer to the EVOnline site for more information or to the unofficial portal for an overview:

      http://www.vancestevens.com/papers/tesol/baltimore2003/ev2002training.html

      Chris's questions regard how we will organize and use our YahooGroups site in
      our upcoming colloquium

      edtec2002 wrote:

      > Last spring I joined several EVonline classes and found it confusing
      > that each one was set up differently. I kept notes individually on
      > whether I needed to check Files, Links, or Bookmarks. Consequently,
      > I feel that a consensus would be helpful to participants who join
      > more than one group.

      As we see in the pretraining (and as others of you may have noticed last January) there are many different ways to organize such a session. There is a commonality in the YahooGroups interface, in that the same tools are available to all, though there will be variety in the way moderators choose to use these tools. Since our own session will have many moderators, do you think we should discuss how we use the YahooGroups interface (to achieve consistency?). Do you have any suggestions toward reaching 'consensus'?

      > I've also found Vance's web pages to be especially
      > helpful. However, as time goes on and more web pages are added (as
      > they were in last spring's Webhead course), it would be nice to have
      > a site index or at least one web page that lists all the pages
      > relevant to the course. I ended up with 6 or 7 bookmarks and still
      > didn't have all of them.

      This is interesting feedback (for me). I was planning to utilize the existing site with its community pages and refer to the syllabus as needed (where we describe our CMC and community building tools). I intend to set up a 'branch' from it especially for our CoP session of course. I have tried to set up some sort of navigation scheme but as we add even more pages to accommodate the direction we are headed in the new session, we need to look at how we can make the site more accessible to newcomers. Any specific suggestions? Are any of our co-moderators planning to create their own web pages to facilitate their part of the course? (Easier from my point of view to simply link to you, and Aiden, Teresa, Daf, to name a few off the top of my head, have shown themselves adept at organizing through web pages).

      > Regarding the folders for the Webhead group in January, my preference
      > would be to have a folder under Files for each week since there is a
      > different moderator for each week/subtopic.

      This is fine. I had a look at the files that are at our YahooGroups site. We didn't use the files area all that much last session, and I'm not sure what to do with what is there already. The course of least resistance is to leave it alone; alternatively stuff could be moved or deleted, but before I were to do that I'd have to be told it was in the way (you guys can look there and tell me if you like).

      I like Chris's idea of having a new folder for each week or topic. I can set that up (or you can do it individually). I would ask that as you put files there you follow the conventions of converting to HTML if possible, and avoiding spaces (by_using_underscores) and upper case letters in directory and file names. Things usually work if you don't follow these conventions but there may be some cases for which it doesn't.

      I'm a little behind in my email but trying to catch up.

      Vance
    • edtec2002
      Message 2 of 28 , Nov 8, 2002
        Hi, everyone,

        After reading Vance's thoughts about my ideas on organizing our CoP
        session, I came up with some more concrete suggestions. What do you
        think?

        --- In evonline2002_webheads@y..., Vance Stevens <vstevens@e...>
        wrote:
        > As we see in the pretraining (and as others of you may have noticed
        last January) there are many different ways to organize such a
        session. There is a commonality in the YahooGroups interface, in
        that the same tools are available to all, though there will be
        variety in the way moderators choose to use these tools. Since our
        own session will have many moderators, do you think we should discuss
        how we use the YahooGroups interface (to achieve consistency?). Do
        you have any suggestions toward reaching 'consensus'?

        Here are my suggestions for using the Files portion of Yahoo Groups:
        1.)Take all the existing files from last spring and put them in a
        folder marked something like Webheads 2002 files. Otherwise the new
        participants may be confused about the purpose of all the previous
        files and folders. 2.) Make separate folders for each of the 8 weeks
        of our session, labeled Week 1, Week 2, etc. That way the moderators
        of each week will know where to put any documents pertinent to their
        week. If they want participants to upload files, those files could
        also go in the corresponding week. Within each folder, there could
        be file named "assignlment_week_1.html" explaining what participants
        should do.

        Here's a short example:
        Week 1 folder
        assignment_week_1.html (telling what participants should do)
        name_of_another_document.html
        Assignment folder (where participants can put files)
        Week 1 folder
        assignment_week_2.html (telling what participants should do)

        I previously wrote:
        > > I've also found Vance's web pages to be especially
        > > helpful. However, as time goes on and more web pages are added
        (as
        > > they were in last spring's Webhead course), it would be nice to
        have
        > > a site index or at least one web page that lists all the pages
        > > relevant to the course. I ended up with 6 or 7 bookmarks and
        still
        > > didn't have all of them.

        Vance replied:
        > This is interesting feedback (for me). . . . I have tried to set
        up some sort of navigation scheme but as we add even more pages to
        accommodate the direction we are headed in the new session, we need
        to look at how we can make the site more accessible to newcomers.
        Any specific suggestions?

        How about if we have one primary web page with the basic information
        about the course? The existing one is fine.
        (http://www.geocities.com/vance_stevens//papers/tesol/baltimore2002/co
        practice.html)

        Can we list this link on the Home page in the Description of our
        Yahoo Group?

        On Vance's page just under the title he could put a link to
        the "index for all other web pages about the CoP sessions." Then on
        the Index page, he could list each web page according to the
        appropriate week/topic similar to the hierarchy for Yahoo groups.
        These links could go to pages he creates as well as pages anyone else
        creates. Thus, at any point during the 8 weeks, it would be easy to
        find all the links to this session listed on one webpage.

        Vance previously wrote:
        > I like Chris's idea of having a new folder for each week or topic.
        I can set that up (or you can do it individually). I would ask that
        as you put files there you follow the conventions of converting to
        HTML if possible, and avoiding spaces (by_using_underscores) and
        upper case letters in directory and file names. Things usually work
        if you don't follow these conventions but there may be some cases for
        which it doesn't.

        I agree as shown in my model above.

        Chris Jones
        Message 3 of 28 , Nov 11, 2002
          Just replying to Chris's specific points ...

          edtec2002 wrote:

          > Here are my suggestions for using the Files portion of Yahoo Groups:
          > 1.)Take all the existing files from last spring and put them in a
          > folder marked something like Webheads 2002 files. Otherwise the new
          > participants may be confused about the purpose of all the previous
          > files and folders.

          Ok, I've written about how I don't think this can easily be done, but if it CAN easily be done, it's a good suggestion and I'll do it. If it can't easily be done, we'll need a volunteer with time on his/her hands.

          > 2.) Make separate folders for each of the 8 weeks
          > of our session, labeled Week 1, Week 2, etc. That way the moderators
          > of each week will know where to put any documents pertinent to their
          > week. If they want participants to upload files, those files could
          > also go in the corresponding week. Within each folder, there could
          > be file named "assignlment_week_1.html" explaining what participants
          > should do.

          OK, I've done this.

          > How about if we have one primary web page with the basic information
          > about the course? The existing one is fine.
          > (http://www.geocities.com/vance_stevens//papers/tesol/baltimore2002/co
          > practice.html)
          >
          > Can we list this link on the Home page in the Description of our
          > Yahoo Group?

          Yes I've done that. It's a link at the bottom of our YGroups home page. You get to put one link in like that. If you want more links, you have to register them in the Links area of our portal site. Any member can contribute links, so over to you guys ...

          > On Vance's page just under the title he could put a link to
          > the "index for all other web pages about the CoP sessions." Then on
          > the Index page, he could list each web page according to the
          > appropriate week/topic similar to the hierarchy for Yahoo groups.
          > These links could go to pages he creates as well as pages anyone else
          > creates. Thus, at any point during the 8 weeks, it would be easy to
          > find all the links to this session listed on one webpage.

          Teresa just did a great job on a general links page. If you go to the CoP links page you can link to each session week by week.

          I'm open for more suggestions, so keep em coming,

          Vance
        • Aiden Yeh
          Message 4 of 28 , Nov 13, 2002
            Does anyone here know how to publish a powerpoint presentation on the internet. I have saved mine in webformat, and can be previewed as is, but can't really publish it. I'm using geocities and I don't know how to upload my powerpoint using geocities. What if I upgrade to Geocities Plus or even Pro, which allows, FTP, will that make any difference? Can anybody help me?

            Aiden Yeh

          • Elizabeth Hanson-Smith
            Message 5 of 28 , Nov 13, 2002
              Aiden--
              Is the PPT file too large? You should be able to upload to your
              files area in the Geocities File Manager (sometimes it's
              annoyingly tricky to get to the File Manager. The address is:
              http://geocities.yahoo.com/v/fm.html
              or go to the first half of the address and click on File Manager.
              You will also need to create a page to "hold" the PPT--a dummy
              page with background and a "Click here to start the presentation"
              with href="name of the ppt file"
              Let me know how it goes.
              --Elizabeth

              evonline2002_webheads@y..., Aiden Yeh <aidenyeh@y...>
              wrote:

              > Does anyone here know how to publish a powerpoint
              presentation on the internet. I have saved mine in webformat,
              and can be previewed as is, but can't really publish it. I'm using
              geocities and I don't know how to upload my powerpoint using
              geocities. What if I upgrade to Geocities Plus or even Pro, which
              allows, FTP, will that make any difference? Can anybody help
              me?

              > Aiden Yeh

            • Aiden Yeh
              Message 6 of 28 , Nov 13, 2002
                Thanks for the prompt response, Elizabeth. I'll give it a try and will let you know what happens (keep your fingers crossed).
                Aiden
                Elizabeth Hanson-Smith <ehansonsmi@...> wrote:Aiden--

                wrote:

                > Does anyone here know how to publish a powerpoint
                presentation on the internet. I have saved mine in webformat,
                and can be previewed as is, but can't really publish it. I'm using
                geocities and I don't know how to upload my powerpoint using
                geocities. What if I upgrade to Geocities Plus or even Pro, which
                allows, FTP, will that make any difference? Can anybody help
                me?

                > Aiden Yeh

                Syllabus:

                Message 7 of 28 , Nov 13, 2002
                  Aiden,

                  I think Elizabeth is referring to putting the *.ppt or *.pps file up at your website, in which case anyone who visited http://www.your_url.com/your_folder/your_file.ppt would be prompted to download the ppt file itself and run it from his/her computer.

                  I think you have converted your ppt to web format and now want to publish it, something like this?

                  http://lightning.prohosting.com/~vstevens/papers/tesol2000/mli_pres_files\frame.htm

                  The above presentation was done in Power Point 2000, which I also assume you are using. It may require IE to view which might be a problem for Netscape users. Not sure how Opera handles it.

                  The presentation above comprises a mli_pres.htm file and an 8 mbyte [mli_pres_files] folder which the htm document (residing outside the folder) uses to display whichever of the 87 objects there it needs at any particular time.

                  To make that presentation work on the web I had to upload the 88 objects and make sure that 87 of them wound up in the [mli_pres_files] folder. I'm not sure if Geocities will accept all those object types, which may have been why I used prohosting for this. It's also tedious to upload so many objects through the File Manager. Upgrading your Geocities might overcome both these problems, certainly the upload one, as FTP access to your files area lets you upload any number of files with a highlight and a click.

                  hth,

                  Vance

                  Message 8 of 28 , Nov 13, 2002
                    Just checking the ppt url below and I get 'error on page'. I'm looking for the problem. hmmmm

                    Vance

                    Message 9 of 28 , Nov 13, 2002
                      Just so you can see what I'm talking about, I got this working in Netscape
                      http://lightning.prohosting.com/~vstevens/papers/tesol2000/mli_pres_files/v3_document.htm

                      But the image links don't work in my IE 6.0

                      Whatta mess ...

                      Message 10 of 28 , Nov 14, 2002
                        Ok, I've done some further experiments ...

                        http://lightning.prohosting.com/~vstevens/papers/tesol2000/mli_pres_files\frame.htm

                        ... does NOT work on my laptop's IE6. Incidentally, I can't reach http://www.tappedin.org via IE6 on my laptop either, and I've been through all my security settings that I can think of. The URL below, works in Netscape 4.7 on my laptop, but not the URL above. I am able to reach Tapped In on my laptop using Netscape 4.7.

                        Meanwhile, back on my desktop, the above URL works fine!! via IE6 there (where I can also reach Tapped In using IE6, no problem). My desktop also has Netscape 7.0 and 4.7. NS7 gives me blank screens when I try the above URL and 4.7 loads in some images but looks rather strange.

                        This particular presentation is about half a meg per slide. I'm thinking now that the very best way to publish a powerpoint presentation is to make screen shots of each slide and mount the images on html pages where you can place your links and navigation buttons. To get screen shots, use PrtSc to capture the desktop to clipboard and then paste the clipboard into a Paint jpg and then crop and resize till you get the image down to a few hundred kbytes. The result would read into any browser, and you'd have control over layout and navigation and save time in the long run.

                        The latter is important. When I did the above presentation I was into Networds, which seemed a good idea at the time. Not all my ideas are goods ones though. I just checked, the networds still work, but redirect you to a page where you have to select the first link on the list, the *version of the netword, and you'll link to where I intended you to go. I toyed briefly with the idea of changing this in the source code for my ppt slides but if you look at the spaghetti code that Microsoft generates you'll see why NOT doing this is one of my GOOD ideas. The time would be better spent reconstructing the pages in the manner suggested above.

                        Does this clarify? Life is not yet utopianly simple on the web ...

                        Vance

                        Vance Stevens wrote:

                        > Just so you can see what I'm talking about, I got this working in Netscape
                        > http://lightning.prohosting.com/~vstevens/papers/tesol2000/mli_pres_files/v3_document.htm
                        >
                        > But the image links don't work in my IE 6.0
                        >
                        > Whatta mess ...

                        > Vance Stevens wrote:
                        >
                        > > Aiden,
                        > >
                        > > I think Elizabeth is referring to putting the *.ppt or *.pps file up at your website, in which case anyone who visited http://www.your_url.com/your_folder/your_file.ppt would be prompted to download the ppt file itself and run it from his/her computer.
                        > >
                        > > I think you have converted your ppt to web format and now want to publish it, something like this?
                        > >
                        > > http://lightning.prohosting.com/~vstevens/papers/tesol2000/mli_pres_files\frame.htm
                        > >
                        > > The above presentation was done in Power Point 2000, which I also assume you are using. It may require IE to view which might be a problem for Netscape users. Not sure how Opera handles it.

                        > For more information:
                        > http://lightning.prohosting.com/~vstevens/papers/evonline2002/webheads.htm
                        >
                        > Syllabus:
                        > http://lightning.prohosting.com/~vstevens/papers/evonline2002/syllabus.htm

                      • Aiden Yeh
                        Message 11 of 28 , Nov 14, 2002
                          It's working, Vance. I'll try to do both (Elizabeth's and your suggestion/s). Let's see what happens.
                          Aiden

                          Vance Stevens wrote:

                          > Aiden,
                          >
                          > I think Elizabeth is referring to putting the *.ppt or *.pps file up at your website, in which case anyone who visited http://www.your_url.com/your_folder/your_file.ppt would be prompted to download the ppt file itself and run it from his/her computer.
                          >
                          > I think you have converted your ppt to web format and now want to publish it, something like this?
                          >
                          > http://lightning.prohosting.com/~vstevens/papers/tesol2000/mli_pres_files\frame.htm
                          >
                          > The above presentation was done in Power Point 2000, which I also assume you are using. It may require IE to view which might be a problem for Netscape users. Not sure how Opera handles it.

                          Syllabus:

                        • Michael Coghlan
                          Message 12 of 28 , Nov 14, 2002
                            Vance - for the record, this one works for me in both IE 5.5 and Netscape 6.2

                            >http://lightning.prohosting.com/~vstevens/papers/tesol2000/mli_pres_files/v3_document.htm

                            This one is fine IE 5.5 but no go in Netscape 6.2

                            http://lightning.prohosting.com/~vstevens/papers/tesol2000/mli_pres_files\frame.htm

                            Are you really going to worry about Netscape. Latest figures, sadly, have
                            about 4% of the Internet community now using it.

                            - Michael.

                            Message 13 of 28 , Nov 14, 2002
                              I'm not worried about Netscape. I'm just interested in how all the different browsers treat
                              the code you get when you save your PowerPoint into HTML. I'd say that the reliability is
                              quite poor.

                              Next time I want to save a ppt, I'm going to put the screen shots in an html document. The
                              case against the Microsoft solution is too great.

                              Vance

                              Message 14 of 28 , Nov 14, 2002
                                Vance, Elizabeth, Michael, and All,
                                To be honest, Vance, I was a bit overwhelmed with your suggestions ;-) you were talking about bytes, size, etc., they sound greek to me. I'm so sorry, it's just that I really want an easy way out- you know just publish the darn thing. It's been bugging me for days. I knew I was on the right track but also knew that something along the process went wrong. I figured it out today, finally. I saved my powerpoint presentation in htm file and geocities does not recognize this file. So following Elizabeth's suggestion, I tried using the HTML version, but html commands sound arabic to me, so, I've decided to settle with pagebuilder. Anyways, while toying around with my File manager, I realized that a ppt. file is required, not htm. I then deleted all the eta.htm files that I had uploaded previously. See, it was right under my nose.
                                The file's a bit big, so it may take a while to download. I also have problems adjusting the animation command for the first slide, so you may want to use the scroll bars on the right. The rest of the slides are ok. The last slide, Vance, is a bout Webheads. The description was lifted from one of your webpages and there are three links under it. I was hoping, to webcast it but you already know the story, besides, the more we talk about the eta webcasting issue, is also like adding salt to injury.
                                You asked about how the ETA presentation went, i guess you missed what I wrote a few days ago. It went well, far better that I had expected. Will send that to you in separate email.
                                Anyway, here's the link to my ETA powerpoint presentation:
                                http://www.geocities.com/aidenyeh/etaconference.ppt
                                It may not be the best, but hey, I tried, and I did it. The darn thing is now up and can be browsed.
                                Aiden goes to the fridge to cool off, gets a beer, opens it and slurp, slurp, slurp.
                                Ayeh
                                Michael Coghlan <michaelc@...> wrote:Vance - for the record, this one works for me in both IE 5.5 and Netscape 6.2

                                >http://lightning.prohosting.com/~vstevens/papers/tesol2000/mli_pres_files/v3_document.htm

                                This one is fine IE 5.5 but no go in Netscape 6.2

                                http://lightning.prohosting.com/~vstevens/papers/tesol2000/mli_pres_files\frame.htm

                                Are you really going to worry about Netscape. Latest figures, sadly, have
                                about 4% of the Internet community now using it.

                                - Michael.

                                Syllabus:

                              • dafne Chavez
                                Message 15 of 28 , Nov 14, 2002
                                  Fantastic Aiden! Congratulations on your presentation and on getting it online! It works great in my IE 5.5.
                                  Hugs,
                                  Daf

                                  Message 16 of 28 , Nov 14, 2002
                                    Hi Aiden and All,

                                    After reading all the messages about getting a PPT presentation
                                    online, I decided to give it a try with an animated presentation I
                                    prepared for my DEA examination in December last year, and I did it
                                    with Geocities, just uploading the .ppt file saved on My documents to
                                    the File Manager, using the "Easy Upload" feature, and that was
                                    enough. I have sent it to some colleagues and they have been able to
                                    see it (it is in Spanish that's why I am not writing the url here).
                                    Before doing that, I tried saving the PPT presentation as a web page,
                                    but when uploading to the File Manager I realized I had to upload
                                    each and all of the files used for creating each slide one by one, as
                                    Vance had warned.

                                    I have also found a document on the Web called : "Converting MS Power
                                    Point Screen Shows to HTML for your Web Site" from San Diego State
                                    University, it is here:

                                    http://www-rohan.sdsu.edu/~bats/PDF/Students/Ppt/Ppt_HTML_97_98.pdf

                                    It feels so good to be encouraged to learn new things each day!

                                    Daf

                                    --- In evonline2002_webheads@y..., dafne Chavez <dygonza@y...> wrote:

> [...]
                                    > Anyway, here's the link to my ETA powerpoint presentation:
                                    > http://www.geocities.com/aidenyeh/etaconference.ppt
                                    > It may not be the best, but hey, I tried, and I did it. The darn
                                    thing is now up and can be browsed.
                                    > Aiden goes to the fridge to cool off, gets a beer, opens it and
                                    slurp, slurp, slurp.
                                    > Ayeh
                                    > Michael Coghlan <michaelc@c...> wrote:Vance - for the record, this
                                    one works for me in both IE 5.5 and Netscape 6.2

                                    >http://lightning.prohosting.com/~vstevens/papers/tesol2000/mli_pres_f
                                    iles/v3_document.htm

                                    > This one is fine IE 5.5 but no go in Netscape 6.2

                                    http://lightning.prohosting.com/~vstevens/papers/tesol2000/mli_pres_fi
                                    les\frame.htm

                                    > Are you really going to worry about Netscape. Latest figures,
                                    sadly, have
                                    > about 4% of the Internet community now using it.

                                    Service.

                                    Message 17 of 28 , Nov 14, 2002
                                      Oops, I think I gave you the url to an oudated document, this is the
                                      the one I wanted to give you

                                      http://www-rohan.sdsu.edu/~bats/PDF/FacStaff/PPt/Ppt_HTML.pdf

                                      Daf

                                    • Dafne
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Nov 14, 2002
> [...]

                                        > > http://www.geocities.com/aidenyeh/etaconference.ppt
                                        > > It may not be the best, but hey, I tried, and I did it. The darn
                                        > thing is now up and can be browsed.
                                        > > Aiden goes to the fridge to cool off, gets a beer, opens it and
                                        > slurp, slurp, slurp.
                                        > > Ayeh
                                        > > Michael Coghlan <michaelc@c...> wrote:Vance - for the record,
                                        this
                                        > one works for me in both IE 5.5 and Netscape 6.2
                                        > >

                                        >http://lightning.prohosting.com/~vstevens/papers/tesol2000/mli_pres_f
                                        > iles/v3_document.htm
                                        > >
                                        > > This one is fine IE 5.5 but no go in Netscape 6.2

                                        http://lightning.prohosting.com/~vstevens/papers/tesol2000/mli_pres_fi
                                        > les\frame.htm
                                        > >
                                        > > Are you really going to worry about Netscape. Latest figures,
                                        > sadly, have
                                        > > about 4% of the Internet community now using it.

                                      • Dr. J. H. Steele
                                        Message 19 of 28 , Nov 14, 2002

                                          Also for the record, they both work fine for me with IE6 on both my
                                          desktop and my laptop.

                                          John (Dr. Cat)

                                          Dr. John H. Steele
                                          English Department, University of Puerto Rico at Aguadilla
                                          j_steele@... http://palace.eslpalace.com

                                          Vance - for the record, this one works for me in both IE 5.5 and
                                          Netscape 6.2

                                          >http://lightning.prohosting.com/~vstevens/papers/tesol2000/mli_pres_fil
                                          es/v3_document.htm

                                          This one is fine IE 5.5 but no go in Netscape 6.2

                                          http://lightning.prohosting.com/~vstevens/papers/tesol2000/mli_pres_file
                                          s\frame.htm

                                          Are you really going to worry about Netscape. Latest figures, sadly,
                                          have
                                          about 4% of the Internet community now using it.

                                          - Michael.

                                          http://lightning.prohosting.com/~vstevens/papers/evonline2002/webheads.h
                                          tm

                                          Syllabus:
                                          http://lightning.prohosting.com/~vstevens/papers/evonline2002/syllabus.h
                                          tm

                                          Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                                          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                                        • Elizabeth Hanson-Smith
                                          Message 20 of 28 , Nov 14, 2002
                                            Hi Aiden & Daf (and all)--
                                            the only problem I have is that the ppt. file comes up in edit
                                            mode, rather than in display. this may be a setting on my
                                            machine, or maybe how it is saved in PowerPoint?
                                            anyway, glad that all worked for you--this is fun, isn't it? Amazing
                                            how these free services are so easy to use.
                                            --Elizabeth
                                          • Aiden Yeh
                                            Message 21 of 28 , Nov 14, 2002
                                              Daf,
                                              We have experienced the same problem and sorted it the same way, too. Isn't this cool?
                                              Aiden
                                              Dafne <dygonza@...> wrote:Hi Aiden and All,

                                              Message 22 of 28 , Nov 15, 2002
                                                Yeah, probably is a setting on your computer (check file associations for ppt; you want it to default to Open not Edit). Aiden has chosen to put the file at her website and let everyone download it. Like my ppt saved to html, it works a lot of the time but not all the time. What we all want I think is to have some confidence that the files we place on the Internet will work pretty durn much most of the time not just part of the time. I think the best solution is to create our own html documents.

                                                This will however require a graphic loadin for each slide. This might take time per page. It seems acceptable if you are downloading a ppt presentation to expect it to take time to load it. But if you're surfing the web your expectations are a little more like, immediate. When you total up the time it takes to download each page while you surf this sould be less than the time it takest to load the ppt, but on the web people don't tolerate the delays so readily.

                                                Each method has its downside. In any event, people who've responded so far mostly have PowerPoint on their computers, and downloading the file isn't a problem over a fast connnection.

                                                Oh, Elizabeth, you should be able to open the file if you launch ppt and then File / Open the file you downloaded ...

                                                Message 23 of 28 , Nov 16, 2002
                                                  Aiden Yeh wrote:

                                                  > Vance, Elizabeth, Michael, and All,
                                                  > To be honest, Vance, I was a bit overwhelmed with your suggestions ;-) you were talking about bytes, size, etc., they sound greek to me.

                                                  It was Geek actually ...

                                                  > You asked about how the ETA presentation went, i guess you missed what I wrote a few days ago. It went well, far better that I had expected. Will send that to you in separate email.
                                                  > Anyway, here's the link to my ETA powerpoint presentation:
                                                  > http://www.geocities.com/aidenyeh/etaconference.ppt

                                                  This opened quite nicely on my IE6 at my office. It was better than a save/as html version. Much simpler to create (just had to store it at your web site). It seems to have worked well, an option I'll consider myself in the future.

                                                  Having sat through your NS/NNS debate earlier this year, I think I'm familiar with where you're coming from with most of your presentation. I like the way you quoted from participants, obviously you were guiding people through insights gained from your evonline session. I'm very curious though how Webheads fit in at the end. I'm glad we did fit in and pleased that we could be a part of your presentation, just wondering what the seque-in was, the connection with all that had gone before.

                                                  Nice work, attractively laid out.

                                                  Vance
                                                • Aiden Yeh
                                                  Message 24 of 28 , Nov 17, 2002
                                                    Vance wrote: I'm very curious though how Webheads fit in at the end. I'm glad we did fit in and pleased that we could be a part of your presentation, just wondering what the seque-in was, the connection with all that had gone before.

                                                    I knew you'd ask this question, because looking at the flow of slides, Webheads were not mentioned in any of the previous slides, so it kinda just popped up in the end;-) Webheads actually fall under the professional development part of my presentation. I talked about the importance of teaching certifications and other methods of professional development. For NNS teachers, proficiency in English and acquiring/learning/implementing effective teaching skills are very important. PG (post graduate) courses are very expensive, considering a NNS teacher's meager salary, continuing education seems impractical. Now, here is where Webheads comes in. Webheads in Action and CoP may not offer teaching certificates but the skills a teacher may learn and acquire from being member of this extraordinary group could be equivalent to what one may learn from school and the learning experience, in some aspects, perhaps exceeds the more traditional ways of gaining professional development. What is so fundamentally clear about this group, is that, many of our members, myself included, are non-native speakers, and yet, like what Elizabeth wrote (in her email-you've got to dig into your mail box) "--they are the heart and soul of the group." (Sep 14, 2002). Although, she was referring to the members of the panel for our presentation, I believe, it can also be applied to the rest of the WIA/CoP members. They are/we are classic examples of teachers who value their/our profession. Whether one is a NS or NNS, a teacher should always leave a room for learning (language and technology), and for enhancing his/her skills. Professional development is a cliche and a term used too often, but in this profession that we're in, it is a must. We owe it to ourselves, and not to anyone else.
                                                    Hmmm, I kinda like what I wrote (above), can I use this as abstract for my presentation (Week 6), Daf?
                                                    Anyway, Vance, I hope you now see the connection ;-)
                                                    Cheers,
                                                    Aiden
                                                    Vance Stevens <vstevens@...> wrote:Aiden Yeh wrote:

                                                    > Vance, Elizabeth, Michael, and All,
                                                    > To be honest, Vance, I was a bit overwhelmed with your suggestions ;-) you were talking about bytes, size, etc., they sound greek to me.

                                                    It was Geek actually ...

                                                    > You asked about how the ETA presentation went, i guess you missed what I wrote a few days ago. It went well, far better that I had expected. Will send that to you in separate email.
                                                    > Anyway, here's the link to my ETA powerpoint presentation:
                                                    > http://www.geocities.com/aidenyeh/etaconference.ppt

                                                    This opened quite nicely on my IE6 at my office. It was better than a save/as html version. Much simpler to create (just had to store it at your web site). It seems to have worked well, an option I'll consider myself in the future.

                                                    Having sat through your NS/NNS debate earlier this year, I think I'm familiar with where you're coming from with most of your presentation. I like the way you quoted from participants, obviously you were guiding people through insights gained from your evonline session. I'm very curious though how Webheads fit in at the end. I'm glad we did fit in and pleased that we could be a part of your presentation, just wondering what the seque-in was, the connection with all that had gone before.

                                                    Nice work, attractively laid out.

                                                    Syllabus:

                                                  • Ismail Fayed
                                                    Message 25 of 28 , Nov 17, 2002
                                                      Dear Vance and all,

                                                      The discussion here is getting more rewarding and interactive :) I have
                                                      received a month ago a CD that contains a presentation on using "Visual
                                                      Stories: Indigenous Education in Practice in ALice Springs", by
                                                      Christopher Brocklebank and Greg Crowe... as a Big Fat Production. It
                                                      was a part of the sessions in the Net Working 2002 online Conferece that
                                                      some of the dear web heads have participated at with Michael. The
                                                      presentation is amazing.. It was built on how to integrate the use of
                                                      Video, audio, and images and convert them someway to a one PDF VIDEO
                                                      presentation file. The idea is great but I am not sure what the process
                                                      for doing this is??

                                                      Anyhow, PDF converted presentations is another solution that I think
                                                      fits more with HTML pages on both the browsing and downloading options.

                                                      Keep up the great work,
                                                      Ismail.
                                                    • dafne Chavez
                                                      Message 26 of 28 , Nov 17, 2002
                                                        Perfect Aiden, go for it!
                                                        Daf
                                                        Aiden Yeh <aidenyeh@...> wrote:Hmmm, I kinda like what I wrote (above), can I use this as abstract for my presentation (Week 6), Daf?

                                                        Message 27 of 28 , Nov 17, 2002
                                                          I like what you wrote too. Can I use it in the Webheads pages
                                                          somewhere? (Haven't thought where yet) - maybe in the vicinity of a link
                                                          to your slide show

                                                          Vance

                                                          Message 28 of 28 , Nov 18, 2002
                                                            Sure, go ahead.