Re: [evonline2002_webheads] Extra Extra! Read all about it! Webhead Candy Pauchik in New York Times

  • Candace Pauchnick
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 27, 2008
      Dear Vance and Yaodong,

      Thank you for sharing this article with everyone. Just for the record, the article's main focus isn't about what I do but about how to make nonprofit businesses more successful. I just was a lucky person to be asked to share a little of what I do. I did say a lot more that the author probably didn't have space to print. I know there are hundreds and hundreds of teachers who do much more than I do so I sure don't feel like I'm any better than all the other people who use the ePal company. I just was the lucky one to be called and photographed.

      My true wishes are that the Webhead group could have a FRONT PAGE splash in the New York Times Newspaper. Now THAT would be awesome!!! All of you are so worthy of such a long article. Actually, the newspaper should make a special magazine just reporting all the activities you do. Now that I think about it...... is anyone writing a book about all of you? Seriously! Is anyone? Vance, I know you write for many publications but is anyone actually writing a book? I've been out of the link with all of you for so long I don't know all you have done. I still have all your emails and do treat myself with reading about many things you do but I have not been able to keep up with everything.

      I sure want to jump back into your activites. Hopefully I can soon.
      All of you are the absolute BEST!!!!

      Many warm hugs to all,
      Candy

      Vance Stevens <vstevens@...> wrote:
      Yaodong pointed out to me this morning that Candy was featured in the
      New York Times article A Capitalist Jolt for Charity. Candy's picture
      is on the first page of that article (pointing at a student's screen)
      and her work with Yaodong is discussed on p.2. Enjoy at:

      http://tinyurl.com/2x68ym

      ^V^

      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 27, 2008
        Hi, Candace!

        Congratulations! I'm very happy for you. I'm sure you feel honored and
        should do.

        Webheads thought about writing a book a few years ago, but then Vance and
        others thought it would be best to start with an online convergence, and
        that's how the first WiAOC 2005 happened.

        I've always been in favor of a book, because we have much to say and it
        would be an invaluable tool for many colleagues. After all, there aren't
        many people doing what we do.

        Keep up the great work!

        Hugs, Teresa (in Portugal)

        > Dear Vance and Yaodong,
        >
        > Thank you for sharing this article with everyone. Just for the record,
        > the article's main focus isn't about what I do but about how to make
        > nonprofit businesses more successful. I just was a lucky person to be
        > asked to share a little of what I do. I did say a lot more that the author
        > probably didn't have space to print. I know there are hundreds and
        > hundreds of teachers who do much more than I do so I sure don't feel like
        > I'm any better than all the other people who use the ePal company. I just
        > was the lucky one to be called and photographed.
        >
        > My true wishes are that the Webhead group could have a FRONT PAGE splash
        > in the New York Times Newspaper. Now THAT would be awesome!!! All of you
        > are so worthy of such a long article. Actually, the newspaper should make
        > a special magazine just reporting all the activities you do. Now that I
        > think about it...... is anyone writing a book about all of you? Seriously!
        > Is anyone? Vance, I know you write for many publications but is anyone
        > actually writing a book? I've been out of the link with all of you for so
        > long I don't know all you have done. I still have all your emails and do
        > treat myself with reading about many things you do but I have not been
        > able to keep up with everything.
        >
        > I sure want to jump back into your activites. Hopefully I can soon.
        > All of you are the absolute BEST!!!!
        >
        > Many warm hugs to all,
        > Candy
        >
        > Vance Stevens <vstevens@...> wrote:
        > Yaodong pointed out to me this morning that Candy was featured in
        > the
        > New York Times article A Capitalist Jolt for Charity. Candy's picture
        > is on the first page of that article (pointing at a student's screen)
        > and her work with Yaodong is discussed on p.2. Enjoy at:
        >
        > http://tinyurl.com/2x68ym
        >
        > ^V^
      • John Hibbs
        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 27, 2008
          When I read the article I meant to send it on to Webheads, with much
          the same thoughts as Candy provides. I have admired all that e-Pals
          has accomplished, introduced to it by an exceptional Canadian ESL
          teacher working in Israel (Karen Eine). (Has anyone heard from Karen
          lately?)

          I also meant to write to Candy. As usual, Vance upstages all of
          you....and he's the bussiest guy on the planet.

          Kind regards to all of you.

          --------

          (P.S. Forgive not snipping) blind copies going to some other groups.
          Forgive duplication)

          At 10:26 AM -0800 2/27/08, Candace Pauchnick wrote:
          >Dear Vance and Yaodong,
          >
          > Thank you for sharing this article with everyone. Just for the
          >record, the article's main focus isn't about what I do but about how
          >to make nonprofit businesses more successful. I just was a lucky
          >person to be asked to share a little of what I do. I did say a lot
          >more that the author probably didn't have space to print. I know
          >there are hundreds and hundreds of teachers who do much more than I
          >do so I sure don't feel like I'm any better than all the other
          >people who use the ePal company. I just was the lucky one to be
          >called and photographed.
          >
          > My true wishes are that the Webhead group could have a FRONT PAGE
          >splash in the New York Times Newspaper. Now THAT would be awesome!!!
          >All of you are so worthy of such a long article. Actually, the
          >newspaper should make a special magazine just reporting all the
          >activities you do. Now that I think about it...... is anyone writing
          >a book about all of you? Seriously! Is anyone? Vance, I know you
          >write for many publications but is anyone actually writing a book?
          >I've been out of the link with all of you for so long I don't know
          >all you have done. I still have all your emails and do treat myself
          >with reading about many things you do but I have not been able to
          >keep up with everything.
          >
          > I sure want to jump back into your activites. Hopefully I can soon.
          > All of you are the absolute BEST!!!!
          >
          > Many warm hugs to all,
          > Candy
          >
          >Vance Stevens <vstevens@...> wrote:
          > Yaodong pointed out to me this morning that Candy was
          >featured in the
          >New York Times article A Capitalist Jolt for Charity. Candy's picture
          >is on the first page of that article (pointing at a student's screen)
          >and her work with Yaodong is discussed on p.2. Enjoy at:
          >
          >http://tinyurl.com/2x68ym
          >
          >^V^

          >For more information:

          >extraneous text from the reply - Thanks!!plying to postings, please
          >delete this footer and any other extraneous text from the reply -
          >Thanks!!
          >Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Candace Pauchnick
          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 27, 2008
            Hello Teresa,

            Thank you, so much, for your kind words. I also appreciate background on the idea of a book. I was thinking about the many people who don't use the Internet. There are actually teachers here at my school who don't use the Internet except to take roll and read school news on emails. I know that is shocking. I was thinking if there was a book about Webheads, and more people read about everyone involved, it would motivate those non-Internet teachers to get involved. As much as I love the computer and Internet, I still love to sit down with a book. Anyway, it is something to think about. Maybe when I retire I can collect news from all of you of what you have done and put it all in a book. :-) It's a fun thing to think about.

            Thanks again for writing back.
            You made my day.
            Candy

          • Candace Pauchnick
            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 27, 2008
              John,

              I just had to repond to the age old cliché relating to "being the busiest on the planet". In my youth it was just vague symbolism but now, with the Internet connections, the phrase is so much more realistic. It has taken on a whole new meaning for me. I completely agree that Vance is truly one of the busiest people on this enormous planet as he seems to connect us all together into a "real" Internet community!!! What an asset he has been to the Webheads!!!

              Candy

              Message 6 of 17 , Feb 27, 2008
                Can't read it. Got have a login. Should I become a member of the NY
                times? Is it better than Facebook? :)

                - Michael

                At 02:19 AM 2/28/2008, you wrote:

                >Yaodong pointed out to me this morning that Candy was featured in the
                >New York Times article A Capitalist Jolt for Charity. Candy's picture
                >is on the first page of that article (pointing at a student's screen)
                >and her work with Yaodong is discussed on p.2. Enjoy at:
                >
                ><http://tinyurl.com/2x68ym>http://tinyurl.com/2x68ym
                >
                >^V^

              • Barbara Dieu
                Message 7 of 17 , Feb 27, 2008
                  I second Teresa's words that there aren't many people doing what the
                  Webheads do. It seems to be some kind of special chemistry Vance has
                  discovered the formula for and keeps sprinkling it on the web heads
                  :-)
                  I also think a book would be an invaluable tool for many colleagues.
                  However, I think it would be so so thick and filled with episodes that
                  it would be too difficult to read. We could maybe think of starting a
                  discussion group on WikiEducator ....http://wikieducator.org and
                  starting to collaborate on it there - it would eventually become a
                  richly woven tapestry of practical examples and an account of lived
                  experience and processes.
                  Warm regards,
                  Bee
                • Candace Pauchnick
                  Message 8 of 17 , Feb 27, 2008
                    Hello Michael,
                    Try this and see if it works. It works for other people I know and no login is required. It is the long version.
                    Candy
                    New York Times Article link:
                    http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/24/business/24social.html?_r=1&ref=business&oref=slogin

                    If you want to just read the New York Times Newspaper there is a free link. No sign in is required for this either. Here is the link: http://www.nytimes.com

                    Personally, both the newspaper or Facebook could be equally interesting depending on the subject matter! :-) :-) :-)

                    I hope you have success with these links.
                    Take care,
                    Candy

                    At 02:19 AM 2/28/2008, you wrote:

                    >Yaodong pointed out to me this morning that Candy was featured in the
                    >New York Times article A Capitalist Jolt for Charity. Candy's picture
                    >is on the first page of that article (pointing at a student's screen)
                    >and her work with Yaodong is discussed on p.2. Enjoy at:
                    >
                    ><http://tinyurl.com/2x68ym>http://tinyurl.com/2x68ym
                    >
                    >^V^

                  • Elizabeth Hanson-Smith
                    Message 9 of 17 , Feb 28, 2008
                      Candy--

                      Just wanted to let you know that Webheads figure VERY prominently in
                      the two books I did for TESOL last year: Learning Languages through
                      Technology (ed. with Sarah Rilling), and CALL Environments: Research,
                      Practice, and Critical Issues, 2nd ed. (ed. with Joy Egbert).

                      Hope you all have a chance to have a look at them.

                      Cheers--
                      --Elizabeth

                      --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, Candace Pauchnick
                      <pauchnick@...> wrote:

                      > Dear Vance and Yaodong,
                      > [snip]
                      >
                      > My true wishes are that the Webhead group could have a FRONT PAGE
                      splash in the New York Times Newspaper. Now THAT would be awesome!!!
                      All of you are so worthy of such a long article. Actually, the
                      newspaper should make a special magazine just reporting all the
                      activities you do. Now that I think about it...... is anyone writing a
                      book about all of you? Seriously! Is anyone? Vance, I know you write
                      for many publications but is anyone actually writing a book? I've been
                      out of the link with all of you for so long I don't know all you have
                      done. I still have all your emails and do treat myself with reading
                      about many things you do but I have not been able to keep up with
                      everything.

                      > I sure want to jump back into your activites. Hopefully I can soon.
                      > All of you are the absolute BEST!!!!
                      >
                      > Many warm hugs to all,
                      > Candy

                    • Candace Pauchnick
                      Message 10 of 17 , Feb 28, 2008
                        Dear Elizabeth,
                        I'm so excited to hear about this. I plan on purchasing them!!!! I hope I can oder them from Amazon.com. Thank you for letting me know.
                        What a wonderful accomplishment to write two books!!! Congratulations.
                        Thanks again,
                        Candy

                        Message 11 of 17 , Feb 29, 2008
                          Thanks Candace. The link below did work, but I decided it does no
                          harm to sign up for the NY times.

                          - Michael.

                          At 11:58 AM 2/28/2008, you wrote:

                          >Hello Michael,
                          >Try this and see if it works. It works for other people I know and
                          >no login is required. It is the long version.
                          >Candy
                          >New York Times Article link:
                          ><http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/24/business/24social.html?_r=1&ref=business&oref=slogin>http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/24/business/24social.html?_r=1&ref=business&oref=slogin
                          >
                          >If you want to just read the New York Times Newspaper there is a
                          >free link. No sign in is required for this either. Here is the link:
                          ><http://www.nytimes.com>http://www.nytimes.com
                          >
                          >Personally, both the newspaper or Facebook could be equally
                          >interesting depending on the subject matter! :-) :-) :-)
                          >
                          >I hope you have success with these links.
                          >Take care,
                          >Candy
                          >

                          >Michael Coghlan
                          ><<mailto:michaelc%40chariot.net.au>michaelc@...> wrote:
                          >Can't read it. Got have a login. Should I become a member of the NY
                          >times? Is it better than Facebook? :)
                          >
                          >- Michael
                          >
                          >At 02:19 AM 2/28/2008, you wrote:
                          >
                          > >Yaodong pointed out to me this morning that Candy was featured in the
                          > >New York Times article A Capitalist Jolt for Charity. Candy's picture
                          > >is on the first page of that article (pointing at a student's screen)
                          > >and her work with Yaodong is discussed on p.2. Enjoy at:
                          > >
                          > ><<http://tinyurl.com/2x68ym>http://tinyurl.com/2x68ym>http://tinyur
                          > l.com/2x68ym
                          > >
                          > >^V^

                        • Elizabeth Hanson-Smith
                          Message 12 of 17 , Feb 29, 2008
                            Great, Candy--
                            But you can order them right online at TESOL's website--
                            <http://www.tesol.org>
                            Pulldown the window to >Books in the Publications tab.

                            <pauchnick@...> wrote:

                            > Dear Elizabeth,
                            > I'm so excited to hear about this. I plan on purchasing them!!!! I
                            hope I can oder them from Amazon.com. Thank you for letting me know.
                            > What a wonderful accomplishment to write two books!!! Congratulations.
                            > Thanks again,
                            > Candy
                            >
                            > Elizabeth Hanson-Smith <ehansonsmi@...> wrote:
                            > Candy--
                            >
                            > Just wanted to let you know that Webheads figure VERY prominently in
                            > the two books I did for TESOL last year: Learning Languages through
                            > Technology (ed. with Sarah Rilling), and CALL Environments: Research,
                            > Practice, and Critical Issues, 2nd ed. (ed. with Joy Egbert).
                            >
                            > Hope you all have a chance to have a look at them.
                            >
                            > Cheers--
                            > --Elizabeth
                            >
                            > --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, Candace Pauchnick
                            > <pauchnick@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Dear Vance and Yaodong,
                            > > [snip]
                            > >
                            > > My true wishes are that the Webhead group could have a FRONT PAGE
                            > splash in the New York Times Newspaper. Now THAT would be awesome!!!
                            > All of you are so worthy of such a long article. Actually, the
                            > newspaper should make a special magazine just reporting all the
                            > activities you do. Now that I think about it...... is anyone writing a
                            > book about all of you? Seriously! Is anyone? Vance, I know you write
                            > for many publications but is anyone actually writing a book? I've been
                            > out of the link with all of you for so long I don't know all you have
                            > done. I still have all your emails and do treat myself with reading
                            > about many things you do but I have not been able to keep up with
                            > everything.
                            > >
                            > > I sure want to jump back into your activites. Hopefully I can soon.
                            > > All of you are the absolute BEST!!!!
                            > >
                            > > Many warm hugs to all,
                            > > Candy

                          • Candace Pauchnick
                            Message 13 of 17 , Mar 1, 2008
                              Dear Elizabeth,

                              I'm trying to purchase your book: "Learning Languages Through Technology" but I can't buy it unless I log in to TESOL. I haven't become a member but I thought I could still buy the book even if I wasn't a member. Is there a way I can buy the book without become a member of TESOL? Since I don't teach students who are speakers of other languages I didn't want to actually join TESOL. But I really liked the topics in your book and feel I can use some of the information in my classes. I also saw so many familiar Webhead names in this publication and I would love to have it.

                              I sure would appreciate any guidelines you can give to as to how to purchase the book through the TESOL site. :-)

                              Thanks,

                              <pauchnick@...> wrote:

                              > Dear Elizabeth,
                              > I'm so excited to hear about this. I plan on purchasing them!!!! I
                              hope I can oder them from Amazon.com. Thank you for letting me know.
                              > What a wonderful accomplishment to write two books!!! Congratulations.
                              > Thanks again,
                              > Candy
                              >
                              > Elizabeth Hanson-Smith <ehansonsmi@...> wrote:
                              > Candy--
                              >
                              > Just wanted to let you know that Webheads figure VERY prominently in
                              > the two books I did for TESOL last year: Learning Languages through
                              > Technology (ed. with Sarah Rilling), and CALL Environments: Research,
                              > Practice, and Critical Issues, 2nd ed. (ed. with Joy Egbert).
                              >
                              > Hope you all have a chance to have a look at them.
                              >
                              > Cheers--
                              > --Elizabeth
                              >
                              > --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, Candace Pauchnick
                              > <pauchnick@> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Dear Vance and Yaodong,
                              > > [snip]
                              > >
                              > > My true wishes are that the Webhead group could have a FRONT PAGE
                              > splash in the New York Times Newspaper. Now THAT would be awesome!!!
                              > All of you are so worthy of such a long article. Actually, the
                              > newspaper should make a special magazine just reporting all the
                              > activities you do. Now that I think about it...... is anyone writing a
                              > book about all of you? Seriously! Is anyone? Vance, I know you write
                              > for many publications but is anyone actually writing a book? I've been
                              > out of the link with all of you for so long I don't know all you have
                              > done. I still have all your emails and do treat myself with reading
                              > about many things you do but I have not been able to keep up with
                              > everything.
                              > >
                              > > I sure want to jump back into your activites. Hopefully I can soon.
                              > > All of you are the absolute BEST!!!!
                              > >
                              > > Many warm hugs to all,
                              > > Candy

                            • Elizabeth Hanson-Smith
                              Message 14 of 17 , Mar 2, 2008
                                Candy--

                                I know TESOL doesn't have the simplest of Websites B-)

                                When you get to the list of books, click on the shopping cart and it
                                will ask you either to sign in OR to create a new account (this is not
                                a membership in TESOL):

                                " If you are new, please click the "Sign up as new user" link below so
                                your request can be processed and your account will be remembered for
                                future transactions."

                                I also found it on Amazon, which is the same price as the non-member
                                price at TESOL.

                                BTW, LLTT is a set of case studies, while CALL Environments has both
                                research articles and practice using the research (be sure you get the
                                2nd ed., however).

                                Thanks for pursuing this!

                                <pauchnick@...> wrote:

                                > Dear Elizabeth,
                                >
                                > I'm trying to purchase your book: "Learning Languages Through
                                Technology" but I can't buy it unless I log in to TESOL. I haven't
                                become a member but I thought I could still buy the book even if I
                                wasn't a member. Is there a way I can buy the book without become a
                                member of TESOL? Since I don't teach students who are speakers of
                                other languages I didn't want to actually join TESOL. But I really
                                liked the topics in your book and feel I can use some of the
                                information in my classes. I also saw so many familiar Webhead names
                                in this publication and I would love to have it.

                                > I sure would appreciate any guidelines you can give to as to how
                                to purchase the book through the TESOL site. :-)

                                > Thanks,
                                > Candy

                              • Candace Pauchnick
                                Message 15 of 17 , Mar 2, 2008
                                  Dear Elizabeth,

                                  Thank you for explaining I don't have to become a member of TESOL. I just went through the program and ordered the CALL Environments (2nd Ed.) I'm so pleased I can get this book. I will enjoy reading what you wrote. Also, when I looked at the chapter reviews I became extremely excited when I saw Datta Kaur Khalsa's name as an author in Chapter 2. She was my professor in my master's program I just finished!!!! What a really small world!!! She helped me with editing my thesis. She's fabulous!!! It took me a couple years but I finally got my Master in Science Educational Technology degree. (That is one big reason why I haven't been very active with the Webheads for the past two years.)

                                  Now I just can't wait for the book to be delivered!!!!!
                                  Thanks again for giving me this information!!!
                                  All the best to you,