Re: TESOL 2003 colloquium: Communities of practice online

    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 3, 2002
      Hello all,

      This is to update you on the latest regarding composition of our proposed colloquium panel: Communities of practice online: Reflection through experience and experiment with the Webheads community of language learners and practitioners

      At present the colloquium presenters are listed as
      Vance Stevens, Arif Altun, Dafne Gonzalez, Teresa d'Eca, Chris Jones, Aiden Yeh, Michael Coghlan

      Arif Altun has since informed me that it is not possible that he can be in Baltimore in April and therefore he will have to withdraw. Buthaina Othman had expressed an interest in joining us and I have approached her to take Arif's place. However, she is uncertain whether she will be able to attend and has asked me to use my discretion in finding a replacement. Therefore I feel it prudent and appropriate to take this course of action:

      I would like to know if there is anyone in this group that would definitely be able to attend the TESOL Conference this March, who is willing to participate in our colloquium on Communities of Practice as a panelist March 26, 9:30 am, and who is willing also to participate in the lead-in EVOnline session as a co-moderator for one week between January and March. If so, and if you can let me know by November 14, then I can put you down in TESOL's records in place of Arif.

      If there is no one available meeting these conditions then I will decide in consultation with Buthaina whether to put her in Rif's place or let Rif's place lapse. I must inform TESOL of the definitive composition of our panel by Nov 15.

      As far as I know, both Rif and Buthaina are still planning to participate in our January to March EVOnline session.

      I will be in touch shortly regarding organization of the Jan-Mar EVOnline session. I plan to use this list for communications in that regard. My intent is to bring participants in this year's EVOnline sessions into this ongoing community of practice, while exploring in concert with the members of this community what communities of practice are, how they form and function (with particular reference to this one), and how they influence the practice of the individual members (again, wrt this community).

      I hope that is agreeable to all concerned. Feel free to voice your objection, or encouragement, or suggestions.

      Vance

      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 4, 2002
        Vance:

        You can count on me in Baltimore. Only something very unexpected and last
        minute would keep me away from such a fabulous group and event!

        BFN, Teresa