Re: [evonline2002_webheads] PDF on a Moodle

    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 5, 2008
      Without knowing more about the problem it's difficult to speculate, but I
      suspect that the problem is not with Moodle but with the way your browser
      handles popups. If you can smooth that process it might help but there is
      another big problem with pdfs in a lab environment and that is Adobe. Adobe
      is a resource hungry application that is constantly trolloing the Internet
      in hopes of updating itself. Accordingly it takes a longer time than it
      should to load itself in and fetch your document (resulting in timeouts when
      bandwidth is limited). It's like the old cookie virus, it thrives on clicks
      to work rather than just erm ... working. One dialog box appears prior to
      opening a document. I think it's a window where you have to click Agree but
      it is normally BURIED under all your other windows so it's easy to miss. To
      the user it appears that the pdf simply didn't launch, and it's only when
      you're shutting down that you discover that last window under all the others
      that was waiting for your agreement to proceed. The second annoying click
      is when Adobe prevents your browser from shutting down to ask you if you are
      quite absolutely sure that you meant to close your browser when you still
      had this one pdf file open. This one has crashed my browser on occasion,
      with ramifications on system stability.

      It might help therefore to remove Adobe and get another, cleaner, free pdf
      reader.

      I don't know if you recall the cookie virus but it's one of the first such
      created. It thrived in labs of the era where PC's were rare and students
      worked at terminals hooked into mainframes. This was in the command line
      days, before GUI. The cookie monster was a program that interrupted students
      in their work by prompting them with "I want a cookie". The user had to
      type the word "cookie" before proceeding. The monster would appear
      occasionally but with increasing frequency as the user worked until the user
      was having to stop and repeatedly type "cookie". It was annoying but
      otherwise benign.

      That was an aside