Re: Spam + Virus Warning (not a hoax)

  • seth.dickens
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 5, 2008
      Dear Elderbob and Vance,

      Thanks for the confirmation guys. I guess I knew already that it
      wouldn't be the Webheads group per se spamming, but perhaps a nasty
      ole bot that had got in here somehow, but as you say Vance, it's more
      likely than not just co-incidence.

      I'd be interested in coming along to a Knowplace security session too
      Bob. I'll certainly led a hand too if needed. I'm intrigued as to how
      Firefox stops spam mail too! I use Firefox and certainly have found it
      to be a more secure (and far more pleasant browsing experience) than
      Internet Explorer, but didn't think that it helped out with anti-spam
      jobs. Could you have meant Firefox's sister program "Thunderbird"
      which is used for email?

      Four other quick security hints I'd throw in:

      1) Always run an antivirus program and scan regularly for viruses. I
      too use Avast! (free) whiuch Bob uses. I hope we all do this AND keep
      them up to date already ( an out of date one is as good as useless.)

      Avast Anti Virus: http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html

      2) Use a Trojan / Spyware program and scan regularly (I like Spybot,
      but AdAware is also very good.) These scan your computer for nasty
      little programs that hide in websites / free programs then gather
      information about you, your computer and / or your surfing habits at
      best and can steal your private details (online banking etc at worst.)

      Spy Bot Scanner: http://www.safer-networking.org/index2.html

      3) Use a firewall (AT LEAST use Windows own firewall, if not get a
      software version. A firewall protects your computer from the hundreds
      of random attacks sent out by hackers trying to get into your
      computer. It costs them nothing to try to get into your computer so
      many hackers simply randomly barrage the internet with attempts to
      enter people's home computers. A firewall will stop them from finding
      your computer and adding it to one of the now infamous "Bot Nets"

      Zone Alarm Firewall:
      http://www.zonealarm.com/store/content/catalog/products/sku_list_za.jsp?dc=56pus&ctry=GB&lang=en

      4) Keep backups of your computer and important files. I use an
      excellent product, which you have to pay for, Norton Ghost. There is a
      good (if a little Geeky and tricky to use) product call DriveImage
      XML, which is free though.

      Drive Image XML: http://www.runtime.org/dixml.htm
      or
      Norton Ghost:
      http://www.symantec.com/norton/products/overview.jsp?pcid=br&pvid=ghost12

      All the best (and stay secure, but don't worry too much!)

      Seth Dickens

      http://sethdickens.blogspot.com
    • Michael Marzio
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 5, 2008
        I continue getting Trojaned email messages supposedly from Buth. I've
        received a total of 6 or 7 in the past 2 weeks. They are similar to
        the one(s) which arrived in my evonline2002 digest.

        I wrote to her suggesting she do a thorough virus scan of her
        computer, but have not received a reply, making me wonder if she has
        other problems...

        If anyone has an alternate email address for Buth, perhaps that
        person can send her a message about this.

        I'm a bit virus-paranoid, and do a daily scan with 2 different
        engines, so I'm not worried about my own computers, I'm just
        concerned about Buth and members who might not be careful about their
        computer security.

        Mike

        --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, Vance Stevens
        <vstevens@...> wrote:

        > Hi Seth,
        >
        > I don't read ALL the mail I get. But I did see your questions here.
        >
        > I've been in this group since it started in 2001/2002. I haven't
        noticed
        > any spam particularly. My Yahoo and Hotmail get it occasionally.
        Hotmail
        > is particularly bad but it seems they've started to control it. If
        you are
        > getting spam due to webheads it's probably more a Yahoo thing than
        > Webheads one in particular.
        >
        > To answer your questions ...
        >
        > > 1) Do you guys use your "real" email addresses to post to mailing
        lists
        > > like the WebHeads?
        >
        > I use my real mail addresses in all lists I participate in and I
        participate
        > in dozens.
        >
        > > 2) When you reply to this message (or any other message here in
        our
        > > WebHeads group) do you get to see my full email address?
        >
        > I do, but I'm the moderator. I don't think non-moderators can see
        your
        > email address.
        >
        > I doubt if this list is adding to your spam. But it's good to ask
        and see
        > what others say,
        >
        > Vance

      • Lee Baber
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 5, 2008
          Hello to everyone today!
          I am having a terrible time getting PDFs to work correctly on a
          MOodle. Any suggestions or FAQs about this issue?
          Thanks,
          Lee Baber
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 5, 2008
            Without knowing more about the problem it's difficult to speculate, but I
            suspect that the problem is not with Moodle but with the way your browser
            handles popups. If you can smooth that process it might help but there is
            another big problem with pdfs in a lab environment and that is Adobe. Adobe
            is a resource hungry application that is constantly trolloing the Internet
            in hopes of updating itself. Accordingly it takes a longer time than it
            should to load itself in and fetch your document (resulting in timeouts when
            bandwidth is limited). It's like the old cookie virus, it thrives on clicks
            to work rather than just erm ... working. One dialog box appears prior to
            opening a document. I think it's a window where you have to click Agree but
            it is normally BURIED under all your other windows so it's easy to miss. To
            the user it appears that the pdf simply didn't launch, and it's only when
            you're shutting down that you discover that last window under all the others
            that was waiting for your agreement to proceed. The second annoying click
            is when Adobe prevents your browser from shutting down to ask you if you are
            quite absolutely sure that you meant to close your browser when you still
            had this one pdf file open. This one has crashed my browser on occasion,
            with ramifications on system stability.

            It might help therefore to remove Adobe and get another, cleaner, free pdf
            reader.

            I don't know if you recall the cookie virus but it's one of the first such
            created. It thrived in labs of the era where PC's were rare and students
            worked at terminals hooked into mainframes. This was in the command line
            days, before GUI. The cookie monster was a program that interrupted students
            in their work by prompting them with "I want a cookie". The user had to
            type the word "cookie" before proceeding. The monster would appear
            occasionally but with increasing frequency as the user worked until the user
            was having to stop and repeatedly type "cookie". It was annoying but
            otherwise benign.

            That was an aside