Re: Spam + Virus Warning to all WIA or EVO YG

  • Evelyn Izquierdo
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 3, 2008
      Hi all:
      I received Buthaina_3 trojan email message, which I didn't open it and inmediately deleted it, of course. But, one second later I received it again, this time through the acwriting_teachers YG. I'm afraid the virus caught all Buth's contacts.
      Please, spread the warning.
      Thanks,
      Evelyn

      Michael Marzio <marzio-school@...> escribió:
      Hi Buth - Dennis - Seth -

      I received the trojaned email, from Buth, i appearance, over a week
      ago and I also received it today. I told Buth about the problem.

      I'm sure she is going to re-run her anti-virus software on her
      computer.

      Buth, if you need help getting rid of this, please let us know. If
      your anti-virus program gives you a choice of a "regular"
      and "thorough" scan, be sure to run the latter, even if it takes all
      day. Good luck,

      Mike

      --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis Oliver"
      <dennis.oliver@...> wrote:

      > I made a typo in the second paragraph after "Hello, everyone." I
      wrote
      > *Buthain Al-Othman, but I should have written _Buthaina_ Al-Othman.
      I'm

      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 4, 2008
        Hi Seth,

        I don't read ALL the mail I get. But I did see your questions here.

        I've been in this group since it started in 2001/2002. I haven't noticed
        any spam particularly. My Yahoo and Hotmail get it occasionally. Hotmail
        is particularly bad but it seems they've started to control it. If you are
        getting spam due to webheads it's probably more a Yahoo thing than a
        Webheads one in particular.

        To answer your questions ...

        > 1) Do you guys use your "real" email addresses to post to mailing lists
        > like the WebHeads?

        I use my real mail addresses in all lists I participate in and I participate
        in dozens.

        > 2) When you reply to this message (or any other message here in our
        > WebHeads group) do you get to see my full email address?

        I do, but I'm the moderator. I don't think non-moderators can see your
        email address.

        I doubt if this list is adding to your spam. But it's good to ask and see
        what others say,

        Vance
      • Elderbob
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 4, 2008
          Ditto to what Vance says. Seems like we go throught this every year.
          And every year I think more attention ought to be given to teaching
          folks more about security. After BAW, things will settle down a bit,
          and there will not be as much spam. It just works out that way. Keep
          your security measures up to date (no you don't have to spend a lot of
          money...there are good free ones - Avasti - is excellent), and read
          what you can about how to protect yourself. I also suggest you switch
          to Firefox as your browser. It seems to be really good at
          intercepting any unwanted mail for me, and destroying it.

          I wish two or three of you "best and brightest" would "borrow"
          Knowplace one weekend, and come in and do a short workshop on
          "internet security measure". I am certain that we would be more than
          willing to offer the space and time. I'd even go so far as to offer
          to come up with some sort of internet security expert that Lee and I
          could webcast.

          elderbob
          Coordinator of Open Weekends @ Knowplace.

          --
          Helping folks understand that it's never too late to become all they
          ever wanted to become.

          This email is: [X] bloggable [ ] ask first [ ] private

          Dittow
        • seth.dickens
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 5, 2008
            Dear Elderbob and Vance,

            Thanks for the confirmation guys. I guess I knew already that it
            wouldn't be the Webheads group per se spamming, but perhaps a nasty
            ole bot that had got in here somehow, but as you say Vance, it's more
            likely than not just co-incidence.

            I'd be interested in coming along to a Knowplace security session too
            Bob. I'll certainly led a hand too if needed. I'm intrigued as to how
            Firefox stops spam mail too! I use Firefox and certainly have found it
            to be a more secure (and far more pleasant browsing experience) than
            Internet Explorer, but didn't think that it helped out with anti-spam
            jobs. Could you have meant Firefox's sister program "Thunderbird"
            which is used for email?

            Four other quick security hints I'd throw in:

            1) Always run an antivirus program and scan regularly for viruses. I
            too use Avast! (free) whiuch Bob uses. I hope we all do this AND keep
            them up to date already ( an out of date one is as good as useless.)

            Avast Anti Virus: http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html

            2) Use a Trojan / Spyware program and scan regularly (I like Spybot,
            but AdAware is also very good.) These scan your computer for nasty
            little programs that hide in websites / free programs then gather
            information about you, your computer and / or your surfing habits at
            best and can steal your private details (online banking etc at worst.)

            Spy Bot Scanner: http://www.safer-networking.org/index2.html

            3) Use a firewall (AT LEAST use Windows own firewall, if not get a
            software version. A firewall protects your computer from the hundreds
            of random attacks sent out by hackers trying to get into your
            computer. It costs them nothing to try to get into your computer so
            many hackers simply randomly barrage the internet with attempts to
            enter people's home computers. A firewall will stop them from finding
            your computer and adding it to one of the now infamous "Bot Nets"

            Zone Alarm Firewall:
            http://www.zonealarm.com/store/content/catalog/products/sku_list_za.jsp?dc=56pus&ctry=GB&lang=en

            4) Keep backups of your computer and important files. I use an
            excellent product, which you have to pay for, Norton Ghost. There is a
            good (if a little Geeky and tricky to use) product call DriveImage
            XML, which is free though.

            Drive Image XML: http://www.runtime.org/dixml.htm
            or
            Norton Ghost:
            http://www.symantec.com/norton/products/overview.jsp?pcid=br&pvid=ghost12

            All the best (and stay secure, but don't worry too much!)

            Seth Dickens

            http://sethdickens.blogspot.com
          • Michael Marzio
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 5, 2008
              I continue getting Trojaned email messages supposedly from Buth. I've
              received a total of 6 or 7 in the past 2 weeks. They are similar to
              the one(s) which arrived in my evonline2002 digest.

              I wrote to her suggesting she do a thorough virus scan of her
              computer, but have not received a reply, making me wonder if she has
              other problems...

              If anyone has an alternate email address for Buth, perhaps that
              person can send her a message about this.

              I'm a bit virus-paranoid, and do a daily scan with 2 different
              engines, so I'm not worried about my own computers, I'm just
              concerned about Buth and members who might not be careful about their
              computer security.

              Mike

              --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, Vance Stevens
              <vstevens@...> wrote:

              > Hi Seth,
              >
              > I don't read ALL the mail I get. But I did see your questions here.
              >
              > I've been in this group since it started in 2001/2002. I haven't
              noticed
              > any spam particularly. My Yahoo and Hotmail get it occasionally.
              Hotmail
              > is particularly bad but it seems they've started to control it. If
              you are
              > getting spam due to webheads it's probably more a Yahoo thing than
              > Webheads one in particular.
              >
              > To answer your questions ...
              >
              > > 1) Do you guys use your "real" email addresses to post to mailing
              lists
              > > like the WebHeads?
              >
              > I use my real mail addresses in all lists I participate in and I
              participate
              > in dozens.
              >
              > > 2) When you reply to this message (or any other message here in
              our
              > > WebHeads group) do you get to see my full email address?
              >
              > I do, but I'm the moderator. I don't think non-moderators can see
              your
              > email address.
              >
              > I doubt if this list is adding to your spam. But it's good to ask
              and see
              > what others say,
              >
              > Vance

            • Lee Baber
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 5, 2008
                Hello to everyone today!
                I am having a terrible time getting PDFs to work correctly on a
                MOodle. Any suggestions or FAQs about this issue?
                Thanks,
                Lee Baber
                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 5, 2008
                  Without knowing more about the problem it's difficult to speculate, but I
                  suspect that the problem is not with Moodle but with the way your browser
                  handles popups. If you can smooth that process it might help but there is
                  another big problem with pdfs in a lab environment and that is Adobe. Adobe
                  is a resource hungry application that is constantly trolloing the Internet
                  in hopes of updating itself. Accordingly it takes a longer time than it
                  should to load itself in and fetch your document (resulting in timeouts when
                  bandwidth is limited). It's like the old cookie virus, it thrives on clicks
                  to work rather than just erm ... working. One dialog box appears prior to
                  opening a document. I think it's a window where you have to click Agree but
                  it is normally BURIED under all your other windows so it's easy to miss. To
                  the user it appears that the pdf simply didn't launch, and it's only when
                  you're shutting down that you discover that last window under all the others
                  that was waiting for your agreement to proceed. The second annoying click
                  is when Adobe prevents your browser from shutting down to ask you if you are
                  quite absolutely sure that you meant to close your browser when you still
                  had this one pdf file open. This one has crashed my browser on occasion,
                  with ramifications on system stability.

                  It might help therefore to remove Adobe and get another, cleaner, free pdf
                  reader.

                  I don't know if you recall the cookie virus but it's one of the first such
                  created. It thrived in labs of the era where PC's were rare and students
                  worked at terminals hooked into mainframes. This was in the command line
                  days, before GUI. The cookie monster was a program that interrupted students
                  in their work by prompting them with "I want a cookie". The user had to
                  type the word "cookie" before proceeding. The monster would appear
                  occasionally but with increasing frequency as the user worked until the user
                  was having to stop and repeatedly type "cookie". It was annoying but
                  otherwise benign.

                  That was an aside