digest problem

  • Randa Effat
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 30, 2002
      Dear Vance,
      there are two things I want to mention:
      1. Problem with Digest on Yahoogroops, I get a list of 20 or 25 messages, but actually can only read 8 and the rest is not there, I have to go to the online yahoogroups and it takes ages to read them with a slow connection. does anyone know why this is happening?

      2. The thumbnail creator program was sent to me by a friend, he searched for it on the internet until he found it. It is a small program, could I upload it to Yahoo groups?

      Randa Effat
      Educational Technology Program officer
      Integrated English Language Program II
      Tel: 202 3384781
      Fax: 202 3384780
      e-mail: reffat@...

      Syllabus:

      There are 8 messages in this issue.

      Topics in this digest:

      1. Re: Feedback on Sunday's session
      From: Vance Stevens <vstevens@...>
      2. Re: new member joining you
      From: Vance Stevens <vstevens@...>
      3. Digests
      From: Keiko Schneider <kschnei@...>
      4. Becoming TAPPED IN member
      From: Keiko Schneider <kschnei@...>
      5. Chris Fry's Intro
      From: "chris_fry_barcelona" <chris.fry@...>
      6. Homestead, Wimba, Group Board and Real Player
      From: "dygonza" <dygonza@...>
      7. Re: Wimba Voice Forum
      From: Michael Coghlan <michaelc@...>
      8. Re: Digest Number 15
      From: Amsaravia2001@...

      Message: 1
      Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 20:25:16 +0400
      From: Vance Stevens <vstevens@...>
      Subject: Re: Feedback on Sunday's session

      Ismail Fayed wrote:

      > You are also right about that we should have a purpose for the session. My purpose was to let chatters talk about their experiences in using CALL, CMC or other applications that they brainstormed to reinforce their teaching skills. To that extent, I admit it was a general goal and this is why I mentioned in my previous email that people should keep an agenda for their future sessions. Thanks that you tried to attend both session and it was really so nice of you :)

      Hi everyone,

      It's really great to see how people are getting together and meeting informally. We've also had some calls for structure at these get-togethers. That might come in time, but what we have found in the other Webheads sessions, after 3 years of regular meetings, is that if we call a topic, people come and go with such rapidity and unpredictability that it's very difficult to hold to a topic without interrupting the normal ebb and flow of greetings and topic nomination by the participants as they enjoy interacting online. Michael Coghlan has given at least one internationally broadcast talk on e-moderation, and I'm hoping we can engage him to e-moderate a session for us when we reach that point in the syllabus (my own term for e-moderation is 'herding cats' and it will be intereresting to discuss this further as we pursue our interactions online).

      If you'd like to try your hand at e-moderation, then I think it's a good idea if some of you would LIKE to announce topics for your meetings. If you do that, announce them to this list and I will post them at:
      http://www.vancestevens.com/papers/evonline2002/schedule.htm
      http://lightning.prohosting.com/~vstevens/papers/evonline2002/schedule.htm

      But if your purpose is to get to know each other while learning about the wide variety of tools available for synchronous communication, that's a good enough reason to let us know when you're online and for us to come and meet you.

      We've accomplished a lot already our first week. We've got organized quite nicely and talked a bit about YahooGroups and learned to use it. Incidentally even I learned something I didn't know before about YahooGroups. Would you believe I hadn't realized there was a photos area there until someone pointed it out in one of the responses to the first assignment? So I copied all the photos I'd put in the Files section to the photos area, where they look nicer (and I also found where Renata had put her photo, obvious to her but not to me at the time - now you know why!)

      We've got another day or two in the First Week of the session and there is one last topic for the first week, and that is here:
      http://sites.hsprofessional.com/vstevens/files/efi/software.htm

      This is an overview of some of the chat clients and sites we've found most useful in our regular Webheads sessions. We'll discuss them in greater detail in this session (and others like them), but you might want to have a look and click on a few of the links.

      Write the list with any comments or observations.

      > Ismail,
      > It was difficult to be in two places at the same time When you invited me to join your session, I was already in Tapped-in. And it wasn't easy- following up on what has been said, who said what etc.

      In Webheads, we're grateful to Susanne who has coined for us the phrase 'chaos navigation' to describe how some of us are forced to move about from window to window doing quite different operations in each, and sometimes engaging different people in highly cognitive tasks in more than one window at once. Susanne coined this term in frustration I think at the outset, but eventually modified it to 'Intuitive Chaos Navigation' which I think is a better description once you get more used to it. Some of us are better adapted to ICN than others (field dependent / independent maybe?) but you don't have to be put off by this. Many prefer to stay in one window and relax there.

      > When I asked you to join Tapped-in, did you make it? I hope there was still someone around. I had to turn my computer off- it was almost midnight.

      Finally, I'm curious, Ismail, did you ever get into Tapped In? I met Ismail Monday night and tried to help him in, but I couldn't get in either and then I had to go to dinner. He was glad to see it wasn't just him! But Ismail, did you ever crack it?

      Message: 2
      Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 20:25:38 +0400
      From: Vance Stevens <vstevens@...>
      Subject: Re: new member joining you

      Thanks Randa,

      Actually you did introduce yourself. I don't know if everyone realizes it, but some of you wrote the list with introductions, and some sent your introductions to me privately. In each case I put your introduction on our Community page at:
      http://www.vancestevens.com/papers/evonline2002/community.htm
      http://lightning.prohosting.com/~vstevens/papers/evonline2002/community.htm

      So please check that page and make sure that everything you sent me (introduction, picture if any) is there. If not, or if you haven't introduced yourself yet, please send in your biodata for that page.

      I've added the info about Thumbnail Creator to our syllabus page for Week 6. Randa, what's the url for that software?

      Thanks for writing the list,

      Vance

      Randa Effat wrote:

      > Hi all,
      > I can't believe it actually took me so long to introduce myself, I am Randa Effat, you can call me Randa ( Yahoo ID reffat_2000, MSN messenger randaeffat@...)
      >
      > This is my fourth year working with IELP II as an Educational Technology Program Officer. Training teachers through videoconferencing and on effective use of computers in EFL. Formerly, I taught computer skills for primary students at Cairo American College. I received my M.A. in Curriculum & Teaching from Michigan State University.
      >
      > At last I caught up on reading all the messages, feel a little overwhelmed, but I hope to be more active in the coming week.
      >
      > By the way if this is not too late, I have used a program called thumbnail creator for resizing pictures, it is wonderful, it does it all for you, excellent for webpages.It is a freeware.
      >
      > Randa Effat
      > Educational Technology Program officer
      > Integrated English Language Program II
      > Tel: 202 3384781
      > Fax: 202 3384780
      > e-mail: reffat@...

      > For more information:
      > http://lightning.prohosting.com/~vstevens/papers/evonline2002/webheads.htm
      >
      > Syllabus:
      > http://lightning.prohosting.com/~vstevens/papers/evonline2002/syllabus.htm

      Message: 3
      Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 09:54:09 -0700
      From: Keiko Schneider <kschnei@...>
      Subject: Digests

      > In a quiet list it is
      >fine to have a daily digest or even a weekly digest. In a busy list, it can
      >be better to have two or three digests a day, say after every ten messages,
      >in order to keep up to date with the discussion and avoid too much of a
      >lag.

      Hi, Pete and all,
      I recall, YahooGroups will spit out a new digest every 25 messages or one
      day, whichever comes first. I don't recall you can configure that number...

      Pete is right about some advantage on receiving individual messages even
      on a busy list. I have suggested to make a filter.
      http://www.sabotenweb.com/bookmarks/about/handbook.html#filter

      You can change senseiOnline to evonline2002_webheads.

      HTH

      Sincerely yours,
      Keiko Schneider

      --
      Keiko Schneider (kschnei@...)
      Bookmarks: http://www.sabotenweb.com/bookmarks

      Message: 4
      Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 09:47:51 -0700
      From: Keiko Schneider <kschnei@...>
      Subject: Becoming TAPPED IN member

      >But I haven't filled in the part about becoming a member yet. (Here comes
      >another 'voluntary' assignment ... ) Could someone check it out and send
      >instructions? Or point to some (I think there's probably a document on
      Tapped
      >In already).

      Hi, Vance and all.
      Please go to
      http://www.tappedin.sri.com/info/membership.html

      Write to contactus@... if you have questions (or post it here!).

      Sincerely yours,
      Keiko Schneider

      --
      Keiko Schneider (kschnei@...)
      Bookmarks: http://www.sabotenweb.com/bookmarks
      Manager, SenseiOnline:
      http://www.sabotenweb.com/bookmarks/about/senseiOnline.html
      Online Academic Conferences Chair, WAOE http://waoe.org
      HelpDesk volunteer at TAPPED IN: http://www.tappedin.org

      Message: 5
      Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 20:03:07 -0000
      From: "chris_fry_barcelona" <chris.fry@...>
      Subject: Chris Fry's Intro

      I have worked as an English teacher first at the Escuela Oficial de
      Idiomas and later at the British Council in Barcelona for the last 30
      years and have been interested in Computer Mediated Communication
      (CMC) for the last few years.

      Nowadays, I teach on the free British Council LearnEnglish Chat
      (http://www.learnenglish.org.uk/chat_frame.html) for six hours a
      week, which I enjoy immensely and I am working for the British
      Council Global Village student community, which will be launched for
      our own students very soon. I know 'Webheads in Action: community
      formation' will help me in both of these jobs.

      I have a Creative web cam Plus at home and apart from my Yahoo! id
      (Chris_Fry_Barcelona) I also use msn Messenger
      (Chris_Fry_Barcelona@...) and ICQ (1501362)

      I look forward to trying TappedIn and iVisit in the near future.

      Chris

      Message: 6
      Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 23:18:12 -0000
      From: "dygonza" <dygonza@...>
      Subject: Homestead, Wimba, Group Board and Real Player

      Hi All,
      Today I decided to try new roads. I went to Vance's Homestead site
      and left a message in his guest book because there was nobody
      around. Later, I tried the Wimba voice discussion board and I heard
      all the messages filed there including DanB's and Gary`s ideas for
      the Language Exchange. But when I tried to record my message, it
      appeared on the screen but I could not listen to me when I tried to
      play it. After a couple of trials I gave up. If you happen to go
      there, please let me know if you can listen to it.
      After that frustration, I visited the Group Board and spent some time
      drawing silly animals and stick figures. I would love some
      instructions on how to use this board. Whenever I tried erasing one
      part of the drawing the whole thing kept disappearing. But it was fun.
      Susanne how did you create your beautiful portrait?
      Finally, I installed Real Player and spent the whole afternoon
      listening to rock music from American radio stations while scanning
      pictures of Modernist buildings from Valencia (Spain).
      This is a report on my cybertour.
      Dafne

      Message: 7
      Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 11:48:13 +1030
      From: Michael Coghlan <michaelc@...>
      Subject: Re: Wimba Voice Forum

      Hi Dafne (and all).

      Dafne commented on her experience with Wimba:

      At 11:18 29/01/02 +0000, she wrote:

      > Later, I tried the Wimba voice discussion board and I heard
      >all the messages filed there including DanB's and Gary`s ideas for
      >the Language Exchange. But when I tried to record my message, it
      >appeared on the screen but I could not listen to me when I tried to
      >play it. After a couple of trials I gave up. If you happen to go
      >there, please let me know if you can listen to it.

      Unfortunately Dafne I cannot hear your message. It *appears* that you
      recorded nothing but silence! Are you sure your microphone can record
      reliably? Apart from a few problems some weeks ago (which now seem
      resolved) the Wimba voice board is fairly reliable, and easy to use.

      Why not try a test with your microphone first using Sound Recorder or
      similar? (Or maybe you've tried this already...) Then once you are certain
      that it works, try again at Wimba.

      Incidentally, for those who are interested in exploring, a couple of
      musical postings have appeared over the last few days. Any musicians out
      there want to contribute?

      The Voice Forum is at http://www.chariot.net.au/~michaelc/wimba.htm

      - Michael Coghlan.

      Message: 8
      Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 20:27:13 EST
      From: Amsaravia2001@...
      Subject: Re: Digest Number 15

      Hi everybody

      One of the 'silent ones' is now crying for help.
      I've set my choice for receiving messages as a daily digest and it was
      working just fine until the 27. The first part of it contained a list of the
      messages and the complete messages were shown below. The last digest (#15),
      however, showed only the list of messages from the group and a message that
      reads:

      [Only the first part of this message will be shown. The complete message was
      inserted in an attachment which you can read by selecting Download Now. After
      the download, open the file using Word in order to read it]

      My first question: Has it happened to anyone who chose to receive daily
      digests?
      Second question: I'm worried about opening attachments because there has been e in h
      a virus in one attachment sent to the Teaching Compositon Online (another one
      of the EV online sessions underway).

      Any word of advice?

      Thanks a lot.

      Ana Saravia

    • ClaudiaAcero@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 30, 2002
        Dear group partners,
        I cannot read the digest report. None of the files open.
        Any help????
        Thank you.
        ClaudiaAcero
        claudiaacero@...
        P/D Congratulations for your evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com
      • Keiko Schneider
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 30, 2002
          >Dear group partners,
          >I cannot read the digest report. None of the files open.

          Claudia and all,
          I will write to YahooGroups admin...

          Sincerely yours,
          Keiko Schneider

          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 31, 2002
            I don't know why your digest should be truncated. Maybe, as you mention it's a slow connection, it's timed out before the entire email is read in. It should give it to you again later though.

            Has anyone else had any problem with the digest?

            I saw your message where you gave the url for the Thumbnail creator. That's the proper way to distribute the file, by refering people to the website. It might be possible to store the file at our YahooGroups site, but it's much better to refer them to the site where the creators of the product have control over its distribution.

            I put the url on our syllabus page, Week 6, btw

            Thanks for contributing the information,
            Vance