Re: Spam + Virus Warning (not a hoax)

  • Michael Marzio
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 3, 2008
      Hi Buth - Dennis - Seth -

      I received the trojaned email, from Buth, i appearance, over a week
      ago and I also received it today. I told Buth about the problem.

      I'm sure she is going to re-run her anti-virus software on her
      computer.

      Buth, if you need help getting rid of this, please let us know. If
      your anti-virus program gives you a choice of a "regular"
      and "thorough" scan, be sure to run the latter, even if it takes all
      day. Good luck,

      Mike

      --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis Oliver"
      <dennis.oliver@...> wrote:

      > I made a typo in the second paragraph after "Hello, everyone." I
      wrote
      > *Buthain Al-Othman, but I should have written _Buthaina_ Al-Othman.
      I'm
      > sending this information only to reinforce the fact that my message
      > was genuine--not a hoax or a sick attempt at humor.
      >
      > --- In BaWco-mods@yahoogroups.com, I wrote in part:
      >
      > Hello, everyone.
      >
      > This message is serious. It is not a hoax.
      >
      > Today I received a message purportedly from Buthain Al-Othman
      (Buth).
      > . . .
      >
      > 8< - - - snip - - - >8

    • Evelyn Izquierdo
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 3, 2008
        Hi all:
        I received Buthaina_3 trojan email message, which I didn't open it and inmediately deleted it, of course. But, one second later I received it again, this time through the acwriting_teachers YG. I'm afraid the virus caught all Buth's contacts.
        Please, spread the warning.
        Thanks,
        Evelyn

        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 4, 2008
          Hi Seth,

          I don't read ALL the mail I get. But I did see your questions here.

          I've been in this group since it started in 2001/2002. I haven't noticed
          any spam particularly. My Yahoo and Hotmail get it occasionally. Hotmail
          is particularly bad but it seems they've started to control it. If you are
          getting spam due to webheads it's probably more a Yahoo thing than a
          Webheads one in particular.

          To answer your questions ...

          > 1) Do you guys use your "real" email addresses to post to mailing lists
          > like the WebHeads?

          I use my real mail addresses in all lists I participate in and I participate
          in dozens.

          > 2) When you reply to this message (or any other message here in our
          > WebHeads group) do you get to see my full email address?

          I do, but I'm the moderator. I don't think non-moderators can see your
          email address.

          I doubt if this list is adding to your spam. But it's good to ask and see
          what others say,

          Vance
        • Elderbob
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 4, 2008
            Ditto to what Vance says. Seems like we go throught this every year.
            And every year I think more attention ought to be given to teaching
            folks more about security. After BAW, things will settle down a bit,
            and there will not be as much spam. It just works out that way. Keep
            your security measures up to date (no you don't have to spend a lot of
            money...there are good free ones - Avasti - is excellent), and read
            what you can about how to protect yourself. I also suggest you switch
            to Firefox as your browser. It seems to be really good at
            intercepting any unwanted mail for me, and destroying it.

            I wish two or three of you "best and brightest" would "borrow"
            Knowplace one weekend, and come in and do a short workshop on
            "internet security measure". I am certain that we would be more than
            willing to offer the space and time. I'd even go so far as to offer
            to come up with some sort of internet security expert that Lee and I
            could webcast.

            elderbob
            Coordinator of Open Weekends @ Knowplace.

            --
            Helping folks understand that it's never too late to become all they
            ever wanted to become.

            This email is: [X] bloggable [ ] ask first [ ] private

            Dittow
          • seth.dickens
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 5, 2008
              Dear Elderbob and Vance,

              Thanks for the confirmation guys. I guess I knew already that it
              wouldn't be the Webheads group per se spamming, but perhaps a nasty
              ole bot that had got in here somehow, but as you say Vance, it's more
              likely than not just co-incidence.

              I'd be interested in coming along to a Knowplace security session too
              Bob. I'll certainly led a hand too if needed. I'm intrigued as to how
              Firefox stops spam mail too! I use Firefox and certainly have found it
              to be a more secure (and far more pleasant browsing experience) than
              Internet Explorer, but didn't think that it helped out with anti-spam
              jobs. Could you have meant Firefox's sister program "Thunderbird"
              which is used for email?

              Four other quick security hints I'd throw in:

              1) Always run an antivirus program and scan regularly for viruses. I
              too use Avast! (free) whiuch Bob uses. I hope we all do this AND keep
              them up to date already ( an out of date one is as good as useless.)

              Avast Anti Virus: http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html

              2) Use a Trojan / Spyware program and scan regularly (I like Spybot,
              but AdAware is also very good.) These scan your computer for nasty
              little programs that hide in websites / free programs then gather
              information about you, your computer and / or your surfing habits at
              best and can steal your private details (online banking etc at worst.)

              Spy Bot Scanner: http://www.safer-networking.org/index2.html

              3) Use a firewall (AT LEAST use Windows own firewall, if not get a
              software version. A firewall protects your computer from the hundreds
              of random attacks sent out by hackers trying to get into your
              computer. It costs them nothing to try to get into your computer so
              many hackers simply randomly barrage the internet with attempts to
              enter people's home computers. A firewall will stop them from finding
              your computer and adding it to one of the now infamous "Bot Nets"

              Zone Alarm Firewall:
              http://www.zonealarm.com/store/content/catalog/products/sku_list_za.jsp?dc=56pus&ctry=GB&lang=en

              4) Keep backups of your computer and important files. I use an
              excellent product, which you have to pay for, Norton Ghost. There is a
              good (if a little Geeky and tricky to use) product call DriveImage
              XML, which is free though.

              Drive Image XML: http://www.runtime.org/dixml.htm
              or
              Norton Ghost:
              http://www.symantec.com/norton/products/overview.jsp?pcid=br&pvid=ghost12

              All the best (and stay secure, but don't worry too much!)

              Seth Dickens

              http://sethdickens.blogspot.com
            • Michael Marzio
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 5, 2008
                I continue getting Trojaned email messages supposedly from Buth. I've
                received a total of 6 or 7 in the past 2 weeks. They are similar to
                the one(s) which arrived in my evonline2002 digest.

                I wrote to her suggesting she do a thorough virus scan of her
                computer, but have not received a reply, making me wonder if she has
                other problems...

                If anyone has an alternate email address for Buth, perhaps that
                person can send her a message about this.

                I'm a bit virus-paranoid, and do a daily scan with 2 different
                engines, so I'm not worried about my own computers, I'm just
                concerned about Buth and members who might not be careful about their
                computer security.

                Mike

                --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, Vance Stevens
                <vstevens@...> wrote:

                > Hi Seth,
                >
                > I don't read ALL the mail I get. But I did see your questions here.
                >
                > I've been in this group since it started in 2001/2002. I haven't
                noticed
                > any spam particularly. My Yahoo and Hotmail get it occasionally.
                Hotmail
                > is particularly bad but it seems they've started to control it. If
                you are
                > getting spam due to webheads it's probably more a Yahoo thing than
                > Webheads one in particular.
                >
                > To answer your questions ...
                >
                > > 1) Do you guys use your "real" email addresses to post to mailing
                lists
                > > like the WebHeads?
                >
                > I use my real mail addresses in all lists I participate in and I
                participate
                > in dozens.
                >
                > > 2) When you reply to this message (or any other message here in
                our
                > > WebHeads group) do you get to see my full email address?
                >
                > I do, but I'm the moderator. I don't think non-moderators can see
                your
                > email address.
                >
                > I doubt if this list is adding to your spam. But it's good to ask
                and see
                > what others say,
                >
                > Vance

              • Lee Baber
                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 5, 2008
                  Hello to everyone today!
                  I am having a terrible time getting PDFs to work correctly on a
                  MOodle. Any suggestions or FAQs about this issue?
                  Thanks,
                  Lee Baber
                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 5, 2008
                    Without knowing more about the problem it's difficult to speculate, but I
                    suspect that the problem is not with Moodle but with the way your browser
                    handles popups. If you can smooth that process it might help but there is
                    another big problem with pdfs in a lab environment and that is Adobe. Adobe
                    is a resource hungry application that is constantly trolloing the Internet
                    in hopes of updating itself. Accordingly it takes a longer time than it
                    should to load itself in and fetch your document (resulting in timeouts when
                    bandwidth is limited). It's like the old cookie virus, it thrives on clicks
                    to work rather than just erm ... working. One dialog box appears prior to
                    opening a document. I think it's a window where you have to click Agree but
                    it is normally BURIED under all your other windows so it's easy to miss. To
                    the user it appears that the pdf simply didn't launch, and it's only when
                    you're shutting down that you discover that last window under all the others
                    that was waiting for your agreement to proceed. The second annoying click
                    is when Adobe prevents your browser from shutting down to ask you if you are
                    quite absolutely sure that you meant to close your browser when you still
                    had this one pdf file open. This one has crashed my browser on occasion,
                    with ramifications on system stability.

                    It might help therefore to remove Adobe and get another, cleaner, free pdf
                    reader.

                    I don't know if you recall the cookie virus but it's one of the first such
                    created. It thrived in labs of the era where PC's were rare and students
                    worked at terminals hooked into mainframes. This was in the command line
                    days, before GUI. The cookie monster was a program that interrupted students
                    in their work by prompting them with "I want a cookie". The user had to
                    type the word "cookie" before proceeding. The monster would appear
                    occasionally but with increasing frequency as the user worked until the user
                    was having to stop and repeatedly type "cookie". It was annoying but
                    otherwise benign.

                    That was an aside