Advice for my project please

  • MMV® Centro Multidisciplinario
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 2, 2008
      Dear e-teachers:

      I need your ideas and comments to set up my project. Could you give me your advice please?
      Athough right now I am not teaching, I have a local group of teenagers who follow me (besides my nephews, nieces and friend’s kids that live in San Luis). I am determined to get a group of students and at the same time continue with my Apostolate and Community work.

      In order to practice the e-tools presented here, I will set my heart to persuade most of them to join me as students, the challenge is to keep them interested because it would be an extra curricular class, they would have to spare time, f2f contact does not have a schedule, we neither have a classroom or computer at home and I need to learn how to use blogs, wikis, yahoo groups, podcasts, etc. first!!

      The description of the local group is as follows:
      Their age range is 14 to 18 years old
      Some of them work and study
      Some go to school in the mornig while others go in the afternoon
      Non of them speaks English
      The older ones use the computer to chat, the e-mail to send PPP presentations and have metroflogs to post images.
      Some of them do not know how to use a computer. (Like me! :-) )

      What I found at the Cybers around here is that:
      The PC’s do not have graphic cards.
      Only one of the Cybers has original programs.
      Most of the PC’s have XP system though I found one with Milenium, none of them has Vista.
      The PC’s memory varies: 248MB, 448MB, 480MB, 512MB, 1GB,
      The PC's processors: 945 MHz, 1.2 GHz, 1.8 GHz

      I am at the other end of Andy Pincon’s project, he works with imigrants in U.S.A and I have access to the children left in Mexico. As he found out there, we need to teach them how to use the computer first and then proceed with English lessons.

      Which would be an effective course design?
      How could I keep them going back to the cyber to learn? The lessons have to mean fun!
      Do you know of an online test to find out their English level?
      Could you direct me to computer tutorials in Spanish?
      Should I leave it open to any teenager interested to join?

      I am afraid I will have to set a course totally online, maybe if I start with the local group to see their reactions would be a good idea. To start and annual course sounds great! What do you think?

      Thanks in advance. Love: Maru.