Spam + Virus Warning (not a hoax)

  • Dennis Oliver
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 2, 2008
      Hello, everyone.

      This message is serious. It is not a hoax.

      Today I received a message purportedly from Buthain Al-Othman (Buth).
      The sender was indicated as buthaina_3. I was able to preview the
      message without opening it and noticed that it was in Chinese
      characters, so I was suspicious. I then sent Buth e-mail about the
      message, asking whether I should delete the message because it wasn't
      genuine. This was Buth's reply:

      "Please do, Dennis. It's a spam with virus. I have been trying to
      write as many people as I could and just saw your email. My pc has
      been very slow since yesterday due to the problem affected the main
      hub in Alexandra, Egypt which has affected 4 main ISPs in the ME Region.

      I have also been trying to write a warning note to the Webheads but
      couldn't as the webheads YG won't load, I'm still trying, however.

      Thanks for writing me about that incident and thanks for your cooperation.

      Buth

      PS Any message you get from me will always show my full name in your
      inbox, as Buthaina Al-Othman. that email you and many other people got
      has my name as: "buthaina_3" which is not true, as this is my nickname
      and not full name."

      -----------------------------------

      Please consider this the warning message that Buth was trying to send.

      Sincerely,

      Dennis in Phoenix
    • Dennis Oliver
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 2, 2008
        I made a typo in the second paragraph after "Hello, everyone." I wrote
        *Buthain Al-Othman, but I should have written _Buthaina_ Al-Othman. I'm
        sending this information only to reinforce the fact that my message
        was genuine--not a hoax or a sick attempt at humor.

        --- In BaWco-mods@yahoogroups.com, I wrote in part:

        Hello, everyone.

        This message is serious. It is not a hoax.

        Today I received a message purportedly from Buthain Al-Othman (Buth).
        . . .

        8< - - - snip - - - >8
      • seth.dickens
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 3, 2008
          Dear all,

          First off, I'd agree with Dennis' seemingly cautious way of checking
          mail (reading a preview first before deciding whether to open it or
          not.) Personally, if I know neither the sender and don't recognise the
          subject line I often simply delete the email!

          As far as I'm aware however, as long as your email software is fully up
          to date with security patches etc, there is no real risk in opening an
          email to read its contents. Indeed the preview pane has done this for
          you already, whether you wanted it to or not. The trouble starts when:

          * You click to download images included in a "bogus" email. This
          alerts the spam sender that the email address actually exists and, worse
          still,that the address' owner reads the spam mails he or she receives.
          * You follow links given in the spam mail to a web page or other URL.
          This starts to be really risky as these sites are often booby trapped
          with the latest nasty code that exploits holes in your Internet Explorer
          browser. (On a side note, you're statistically better off with Firefox,
          Opera, Safari - anything other than Internet Explorer as hackers tend to
          write their hacks for this browser.
          * You open attachments sent along with spam mail. This is the key
          one. never, ever open attachments, be they Word, Excel, Jpegs or (heaven
          forbid) .exe executable files. These are very likely to be hiding horrid
          little bugs inside and if you value your poor wee computer's health,
          just don't open them!
          Sorry if I'm teaching all you old WebHeads how to suck eggs here, I'm
          sure you'll have scanned past this advice if you knew it already! I do
          think it's worth pointing out from time to time especially for any of
          our fellow colleagues and WebHeads who are newer.

          Something that has been intriguing me lately (and I'd appreciate any
          help from you guys in this) is the amount of Spam I'm getting.
          Previously I got absolutely no spam mail to my lovely Google Mail
          account, now it's about 2 - 5 spam mails a day. (which is nothing
          compared to the hundreds at my hotmail account) It seems to have
          increased since I stated posting to the WebHeads group. I do think this
          is just a coincidence, but I'd like to ask you two quick points:

          1) Do you guys use your "real" email addresses to post to mailing lists
          like the WebHeads? Some folk might choose to use a 'Spam Only' mail
          address for sites like ours to stop their addresses being "harvested" by
          spammers. I use my real mail address. What would you advise?

          2) When you reply to this message (or any other message here in our
          WebHeads group) do you get to see my full email address? (This would be
          a surefire way for a spammer to "harvest" email addresses again. ) I
          usually only see "thefirstfewletters@..." style email addresses when
          replying here, except when the message forms part of a longer thread,
          when I see full email addresses contained as part of the message text. I
          note with interest the text Yahoo adds above this message "If you reply
          to the message author or the group owner, your email address will be
          displayed in the message you send." What do they mean by this?! :-)

          So, apologies for the length of this mail and I look forward to any
          helpful advice or hints you guys can give me.

          Happy Sunday!

          Seth

        • Nina Liakos
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 3, 2008
            Hi Seth,
            Thanks for posting this. (And Dennis, thanks for the warning!) I was
            aware of most of what you said (without the details of how it works),
            but it's always useful to read it again, in case we get lazy. My
            google account still does a great job of catching spam. Replying to
            this, I see only seth.dickens@.... And I've noticed several webheads
            have begun writing their emails as seth dot dickens at gmail dot com
            (or whatever) to fool the spammers, and putting up links with
            deliberate breaks in them.

            Isn't it a shame that so many people get their kicks from this
            destructive behavior, so the rest of us have to be constantly on our
            guard!

            Nina

            --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "seth.dickens"
            <sethdickens@...> wrote:

> [...]
            > address for sites like ours to stop their addresses being "harvested" by
            > spammers. I use my real mail address. What would you advise?
            >
            > 2) When you reply to this message (or any other message here in our
            > WebHeads group) do you get to see my full email address? (This would be
            > a surefire way for a spammer to "harvest" email addresses again. ) I
            > usually only see "thefirstfewletters@" style email addresses when
            > replying here, except when the message forms part of a longer thread,
            > when I see full email addresses contained as part of the message text. I
            > note with interest the text Yahoo adds above this message "If you reply
            > to the message author or the group owner, your email address will be
            > displayed in the message you send." What do they mean by this?! :-)
            >
            > So, apologies for the length of this mail and I look forward to any
            > helpful advice or hints you guys can give me.

          • Michael Marzio
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 3, 2008
              Hi Buth - Dennis - Seth -

              I received the trojaned email, from Buth, i appearance, over a week
              ago and I also received it today. I told Buth about the problem.

              I'm sure she is going to re-run her anti-virus software on her
              computer.

              Buth, if you need help getting rid of this, please let us know. If
              your anti-virus program gives you a choice of a "regular"
              and "thorough" scan, be sure to run the latter, even if it takes all
              day. Good luck,

              Mike

              --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis Oliver"
              <dennis.oliver@...> wrote:

              > I made a typo in the second paragraph after "Hello, everyone." I
              wrote
              > *Buthain Al-Othman, but I should have written _Buthaina_ Al-Othman.
              I'm
              > sending this information only to reinforce the fact that my message
              > was genuine--not a hoax or a sick attempt at humor.
              >
              > --- In BaWco-mods@yahoogroups.com, I wrote in part:
              >
              > Hello, everyone.
              >
              > This message is serious. It is not a hoax.
              >
              > Today I received a message purportedly from Buthain Al-Othman
              (Buth).
              > . . .
              >
              > 8< - - - snip - - - >8

            • Evelyn Izquierdo
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 3, 2008
                Hi all:
                I received Buthaina_3 trojan email message, which I didn't open it and inmediately deleted it, of course. But, one second later I received it again, this time through the acwriting_teachers YG. I'm afraid the virus caught all Buth's contacts.
                Please, spread the warning.
                Thanks,
                Evelyn

                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 4, 2008
                  Hi Seth,

                  I don't read ALL the mail I get. But I did see your questions here.

                  I've been in this group since it started in 2001/2002. I haven't noticed
                  any spam particularly. My Yahoo and Hotmail get it occasionally. Hotmail
                  is particularly bad but it seems they've started to control it. If you are
                  getting spam due to webheads it's probably more a Yahoo thing than a
                  Webheads one in particular.

                  To answer your questions ...

                  > 1) Do you guys use your "real" email addresses to post to mailing lists
                  > like the WebHeads?

                  I use my real mail addresses in all lists I participate in and I participate
                  in dozens.

                  > 2) When you reply to this message (or any other message here in our
                  > WebHeads group) do you get to see my full email address?

                  I do, but I'm the moderator. I don't think non-moderators can see your
                  email address.

                  I doubt if this list is adding to your spam. But it's good to ask and see
                  what others say,

                  Vance
                • Elderbob
                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 4, 2008
                    Ditto to what Vance says. Seems like we go throught this every year.
                    And every year I think more attention ought to be given to teaching
                    folks more about security. After BAW, things will settle down a bit,
                    and there will not be as much spam. It just works out that way. Keep
                    your security measures up to date (no you don't have to spend a lot of
                    money...there are good free ones - Avasti - is excellent), and read
                    what you can about how to protect yourself. I also suggest you switch
                    to Firefox as your browser. It seems to be really good at
                    intercepting any unwanted mail for me, and destroying it.

                    I wish two or three of you "best and brightest" would "borrow"
                    Knowplace one weekend, and come in and do a short workshop on
                    "internet security measure". I am certain that we would be more than
                    willing to offer the space and time. I'd even go so far as to offer
                    to come up with some sort of internet security expert that Lee and I
                    could webcast.

                    elderbob
                    Coordinator of Open Weekends @ Knowplace.

                    --
                    Helping folks understand that it's never too late to become all they
                    ever wanted to become.

                    This email is: [X] bloggable [ ] ask first [ ] private

                    Dittow
                  • seth.dickens
                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 5, 2008
                      Dear Elderbob and Vance,

                      Thanks for the confirmation guys. I guess I knew already that it
                      wouldn't be the Webheads group per se spamming, but perhaps a nasty
                      ole bot that had got in here somehow, but as you say Vance, it's more
                      likely than not just co-incidence.

                      I'd be interested in coming along to a Knowplace security session too
                      Bob. I'll certainly led a hand too if needed. I'm intrigued as to how
                      Firefox stops spam mail too! I use Firefox and certainly have found it
                      to be a more secure (and far more pleasant browsing experience) than
                      Internet Explorer, but didn't think that it helped out with anti-spam
                      jobs. Could you have meant Firefox's sister program "Thunderbird"
                      which is used for email?

                      Four other quick security hints I'd throw in:

                      1) Always run an antivirus program and scan regularly for viruses. I
                      too use Avast! (free) whiuch Bob uses. I hope we all do this AND keep
                      them up to date already ( an out of date one is as good as useless.)

                      Avast Anti Virus: http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html

                      2) Use a Trojan / Spyware program and scan regularly (I like Spybot,
                      but AdAware is also very good.) These scan your computer for nasty
                      little programs that hide in websites / free programs then gather
                      information about you, your computer and / or your surfing habits at
                      best and can steal your private details (online banking etc at worst.)

                      Spy Bot Scanner: http://www.safer-networking.org/index2.html

                      3) Use a firewall (AT LEAST use Windows own firewall, if not get a
                      software version. A firewall protects your computer from the hundreds
                      of random attacks sent out by hackers trying to get into your
                      computer. It costs them nothing to try to get into your computer so
                      many hackers simply randomly barrage the internet with attempts to
                      enter people's home computers. A firewall will stop them from finding
                      your computer and adding it to one of the now infamous "Bot Nets"

                      Zone Alarm Firewall:
                      http://www.zonealarm.com/store/content/catalog/products/sku_list_za.jsp?dc=56pus&ctry=GB&lang=en

                      4) Keep backups of your computer and important files. I use an
                      excellent product, which you have to pay for, Norton Ghost. There is a
                      good (if a little Geeky and tricky to use) product call DriveImage
                      XML, which is free though.

                      Drive Image XML: http://www.runtime.org/dixml.htm
                      or
                      Norton Ghost:
                      http://www.symantec.com/norton/products/overview.jsp?pcid=br&pvid=ghost12

                      All the best (and stay secure, but don't worry too much!)

                      Seth Dickens

                      http://sethdickens.blogspot.com
                    • Michael Marzio
                      Message 10 of 12 , Feb 5, 2008
                        I continue getting Trojaned email messages supposedly from Buth. I've
                        received a total of 6 or 7 in the past 2 weeks. They are similar to
                        the one(s) which arrived in my evonline2002 digest.

                        I wrote to her suggesting she do a thorough virus scan of her
                        computer, but have not received a reply, making me wonder if she has
                        other problems...

                        If anyone has an alternate email address for Buth, perhaps that
                        person can send her a message about this.

                        I'm a bit virus-paranoid, and do a daily scan with 2 different
                        engines, so I'm not worried about my own computers, I'm just
                        concerned about Buth and members who might not be careful about their
                        computer security.

                        Mike

                        --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, Vance Stevens
                        <vstevens@...> wrote:

                        > Hi Seth,
                        >
                        > I don't read ALL the mail I get. But I did see your questions here.
                        >
                        > I've been in this group since it started in 2001/2002. I haven't
                        noticed
                        > any spam particularly. My Yahoo and Hotmail get it occasionally.
                        Hotmail
                        > is particularly bad but it seems they've started to control it. If
                        you are
                        > getting spam due to webheads it's probably more a Yahoo thing than
                        > Webheads one in particular.
                        >
                        > To answer your questions ...
                        >
                        > > 1) Do you guys use your "real" email addresses to post to mailing
                        lists
                        > > like the WebHeads?
                        >
                        > I use my real mail addresses in all lists I participate in and I
                        participate
                        > in dozens.
                        >
                        > > 2) When you reply to this message (or any other message here in
                        our
                        > > WebHeads group) do you get to see my full email address?
                        >
                        > I do, but I'm the moderator. I don't think non-moderators can see
                        your
                        > email address.
                        >
                        > I doubt if this list is adding to your spam. But it's good to ask
                        and see
                        > what others say,
                        >
                        > Vance

                      • Lee Baber
                        Message 11 of 12 , Feb 5, 2008
                          Hello to everyone today!
                          I am having a terrible time getting PDFs to work correctly on a
                          MOodle. Any suggestions or FAQs about this issue?
                          Thanks,
                          Lee Baber
                          Message 12 of 12 , Feb 5, 2008
                            Without knowing more about the problem it's difficult to speculate, but I
                            suspect that the problem is not with Moodle but with the way your browser
                            handles popups. If you can smooth that process it might help but there is
                            another big problem with pdfs in a lab environment and that is Adobe. Adobe
                            is a resource hungry application that is constantly trolloing the Internet
                            in hopes of updating itself. Accordingly it takes a longer time than it
                            should to load itself in and fetch your document (resulting in timeouts when
                            bandwidth is limited). It's like the old cookie virus, it thrives on clicks
                            to work rather than just erm ... working. One dialog box appears prior to
                            opening a document. I think it's a window where you have to click Agree but
                            it is normally BURIED under all your other windows so it's easy to miss. To
                            the user it appears that the pdf simply didn't launch, and it's only when
                            you're shutting down that you discover that last window under all the others
                            that was waiting for your agreement to proceed. The second annoying click
                            is when Adobe prevents your browser from shutting down to ask you if you are
                            quite absolutely sure that you meant to close your browser when you still
                            had this one pdf file open. This one has crashed my browser on occasion,
                            with ramifications on system stability.

                            It might help therefore to remove Adobe and get another, cleaner, free pdf
                            reader.

                            I don't know if you recall the cookie virus but it's one of the first such
                            created. It thrived in labs of the era where PC's were rare and students
                            worked at terminals hooked into mainframes. This was in the command line
                            days, before GUI. The cookie monster was a program that interrupted students
                            in their work by prompting them with "I want a cookie". The user had to
                            type the word "cookie" before proceeding. The monster would appear
                            occasionally but with increasing frequency as the user worked until the user
                            was having to stop and repeatedly type "cookie". It was annoying but
                            otherwise benign.

                            That was an aside