Re: [evonline2002_webheads] Re: The Best Art Websites For Learning English

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 1, 2008
      Hi everyone,

      I think it's great what Larry is doing, but I have some suggestions. First
      off, what a great contribution Larry is making distilling all this
      information for us. Just a couple of small suggestions for improvement, I
      find it hard to 'see' the information in the lists. Perhaps you have
      reasons for not going for bulleted lists or font enhancements such as bold
      that might make the text and its organization more prominent. This is
      certainly a picky comment isn't it? (Vance quickly bows several times)

      The second thing, I was trying to find the music list just now and went to
      Google but in the entire first page there was a lot of noise, people
      blogging about Larry, other lists of Larry's (you gotta lotta blogs!). But
      I was not able to find the actual list of music sites. I think I came upon
      it in email here and then quickly while it was on my mind ZAP tagged it in
      del.icio.us. So now this one as well as elderbob's music project can be
      found under http://www.vancestevens.com/music. But as far as Google is
      concerned, I wonder how Larry can game the systems so that searches on his
      lists can be productive.

      The reason I'm really writing the list today is that it is a kind of a black
      Friday in the UAE. First there is a storm raging here with fierce winds and
      we're pretty much hunkered down in our homes. We're in Abu Dhabi but in
      Dubai the traffic lights went out and apparently this caused more chaos than
      is normal in driving in that city, many accidents aggravating the usual
      intractible jams.

      But the real hassle is that Internet traffic has ground to a standstill due
      to an underwater cable being severed off the coast of Egypt. It is
      impossible to reach web 2.0 sites including web based mail. VPN's don't
      connect so since the UAE has taken the trouble to block low-bandwidth
      Twitter without this extra step, I can't even keep up with my network via
      the 140 character tonic. The ISP provider I'm using now, and static web
      pages (Google, thankfully, and others) are about the only things working.
      This will impact my participation in EVO for the short term, so I'd like
      through this message to let you know what's up here, well more correctly,
      what's down.

      Will touch base as I can,