RE: [evonline2002_webheads] CHAT,DIS: Dennis: To retrieve or not to retrieve - emailing, archiving and retrieval

  • Gavin Dudeney
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 29, 2008
      Dennis,

      Much as it pains me to say – and after years of working with Eudora, Pegasus
      and a couple of others – I find the Windows Vista + Outlook 2007 combination
      irresistible in terms of archiving and speed of retrieval (the search is
      excellent). I have a complex set of rules set up in Outlook so that messages
      automatically go into the ‘right’ folders to begin with, I have a complex
      set of spam filters so that my Inbox and main folders stay clean of all
      that. I also have automatic extraction and saving of attachments to a folder
      of my choice, and auto- or manual archiving and clearing out of older
      messages.

      On top of that, the speed – in one folder in Outlook I currently have 14,000
      messages and the folder loads in one second. It really is a good
      combination....

      Gavin

      c/ Ceramica 54, 08035 Barcelona, Spain

      Tel: +34 93 427 4240 | +44 20 7193 0770

      <http://www.theconsultants-e.com/> http://www.theconsultants-e.com

      Winners of a 2007 British Council ELTON award - <http://tinyurl.com/3e2c54>
      http://tinyurl.com/3e2c54

      Owners of the Second Life EduNation sims - <http://tinyurl.com/34l8mw>
      http://tinyurl.com/34l8mw

      Sponsors of the UK Moodle Conference - <http://www.moodlemoot.org/>
      http://www.moodlemoot.org

      CONFIDENTIALITY AND DISCLAIMER NOTICE

      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 29, 2008
        Gavin, thanks. Mmm. I just had the chance to switch to Vista and decided
        against it. I guess changing from XP to Vista means a complete reinstall,
        doesn't it?

        Dennis

      • Gavin Dudeney
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 29, 2008
          Dennis,

          I don't really know because I bought my last laptop with Vista installed.
          Usually you get an option to upgrade from previous versions of Windows to
          the latest - but I would never do that. The first thing I would o would be
          to format and partition the hard drive and do a clean install. Building a
          new version on an old one is never very tidy.

          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 29, 2008
            Elek,

            I thought so...and someone did that for me about three weeks ago after my PC
            crash. No Vista for me at the moment, no reformatting and fresh start - I
            would crash, not my PC.

            I'd forgottem you were on this list, Elek. Good to see you here.

            Dennis

            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 29, 2008
              Dennis,

              Elek and I have not melded : - )

              Though I’m sure he would have said the same ; -)

              <mailto:gavin.dudeney%40theconsultants-e.com> > wrote:

              > Dennis,
              >

              > I don't really know because I bought my last laptop with Vista installed.
              > Usually you get an option to upgrade from previous versions of Windows to
              > the latest - but I would never do that. The first thing I would o would be
              > to format and partition the hard drive and do a clean install. Building a
              > new version on an old one is never very tidy.
              >

              > Gavin
              >

              > Gavin Dudeney - Project Director, The Consultants-E
              >
              > c/ Ceramica 54, 08035 Barcelona, Spain
              >
              > Tel: +34 93 427 4240 | +44 20 7193 0770
              >
              > <http://www.theconsultants-e.com/> http://www.theconsultants-e.com
              >

              > Winners of a 2007 British Council ELTON award - <
              > http://tinyurl.com/3e2c54>
              > http://tinyurl.com/3e2c54
              >
              > Owners of the Second Life EduNation sims - <http://tinyurl.com/34l8mw>
              > http://tinyurl.com/34l8mw
              >
              > Sponsors of the UK Moodle Conference - <http://www.moodlemoot.org/>
              > http://www.moodlemoot.org
              >

              > CONFIDENTIALITY AND DISCLAIMER NOTICE
              >
              > This email and any attachments are private and confidential. It is
              > intended
              > for the recipient only. If you are not the intended recipient, any use,
              > disclosure, distribution, printing or copying of this email is
              > unauthorised.
              > You may not read, use or take any action in reliance on it. If you have
              > received this email in error please notify the sender immediately by
              > replying to this email and permanently delete the email from your
              > computer.
              > The contents of any attachments to this e-mail may contain software
              > viruses
              > which could damage your own computer system. While we have taken every
              > reasonable precaution to minimise this risk, we cannot accept liability
              > for
              > any damage which you sustain as a result of software viruses. You should
              > carry out your own virus checks before opening any attachments.
              >

              > From: evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com
              <mailto:evonline2002_webheads%40yahoogroups.com>

              --
              Dennis Newson (retired)
              University of Osnabrück
              GERMANY
              Webhead,
              Discussion Moderator IATEFL YL SIG
              Moderator of a number of other TEFL e-lists

            • Thomas N. Robb
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 29, 2008
                Dennis (and all),

                You said that the gmail search sometimes fails you. That surprises me
                because I find that the only time it fails for me is when my memory has
                failed!

                I find that the best way to pull up something quickly is NOT to put in the
                person's e-mail address, but rather input a couple words that you KNOW MUST
                be in the message you are looking for, and that means not only nouns but a
                verb, adjective, date, a number, etc. whatever would be relatively unique to
                that message. Often just the name of the other person (in the style that
                they normally sign their messages, and one or two words concerning topic is
                sufficient.

                The only time I use the "Advance search" is when 1) I want to specify that
                the message has an attachment, or 2) a have a feeling that I might have
                missed the message completely because it found its way into the spam box.

                I hope this helps relieve your frustration!

                (One aside. Gmail now has an inline spelling checker, but it flagged
                "gmail" on the first line as misspelled. :-)

                Cheers,
                Tom

                --

                ** Thomas N. Robb, Ph.D., Kyoto Sangyo University, Japan **
                ** <trobb@...-su.ac.jp> **

              • Dennis Newson
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 29, 2008
                  Crista, Thomas, Gavin/Elek Elek/Gavin,

                  Thanks greatly for answering.

                  One of my frustrations, Tom, is when I know - really know - that a certain
                  person has written to me and no search brings them up. (And that is when I
                  miss the fact that I cannot just look through all the messages in the
                  archive to see what is there).

                  Something happens regularly, as I send is that I get a message saying that
                  the current message belongs to a trashed thread (perhaps the word thread is
                  not used) and will not be listed unless it is removed from trash. Now, if it
                  is a message that is inititiating a thread, how can it belong to a trashed
                  thread?

                  I'm not asking to answer, just illustrating an irritating quirk in (for
                  Tom's spell checker) Google mail.