CHAT,DIS: Dennis: To retrieve or not to retrieve - emailing, archiving and retrieval

  • Dennis Newson
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 28, 2008
      [ CETEFL, EVO, Learning with Computers, Germany English]

      Hi!

      I get a crazy amount of post daily and I'm increasingly dissatisfied with
      how I archive and (/fail to) retrieve past messages.

      I use gmail for lots of reasons, but hate the archiving system. There is
      nothing to see, and the 'search' mechanism does not always work.

      I also use Outlook, but am not in love with it.

      How do you manage your posts and be fairly certain that you can find
      something you know you have?

      Dennis

      --
      Dennis Newson (retired)
      University of Osnabrück

    • Gavin Dudeney
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 29, 2008
        Dennis,

        Much as it pains me to say – and after years of working with Eudora, Pegasus
        and a couple of others – I find the Windows Vista + Outlook 2007 combination
        irresistible in terms of archiving and speed of retrieval (the search is
        excellent). I have a complex set of rules set up in Outlook so that messages
        automatically go into the ‘right’ folders to begin with, I have a complex
        set of spam filters so that my Inbox and main folders stay clean of all
        that. I also have automatic extraction and saving of attachments to a folder
        of my choice, and auto- or manual archiving and clearing out of older
        messages.

        On top of that, the speed – in one folder in Outlook I currently have 14,000
        messages and the folder loads in one second. It really is a good
        combination....

        Gavin

        c/ Ceramica 54, 08035 Barcelona, Spain

        Tel: +34 93 427 4240 | +44 20 7193 0770

        <http://www.theconsultants-e.com/> http://www.theconsultants-e.com

        Winners of a 2007 British Council ELTON award - <http://tinyurl.com/3e2c54>
        http://tinyurl.com/3e2c54

        Owners of the Second Life EduNation sims - <http://tinyurl.com/34l8mw>
        http://tinyurl.com/34l8mw

        Sponsors of the UK Moodle Conference - <http://www.moodlemoot.org/>
        http://www.moodlemoot.org

        CONFIDENTIALITY AND DISCLAIMER NOTICE

        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 29, 2008
          Gavin, thanks. Mmm. I just had the chance to switch to Vista and decided
          against it. I guess changing from XP to Vista means a complete reinstall,
          doesn't it?

          Dennis

        • Gavin Dudeney
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 29, 2008
            Dennis,

            I don't really know because I bought my last laptop with Vista installed.
            Usually you get an option to upgrade from previous versions of Windows to
            the latest - but I would never do that. The first thing I would o would be
            to format and partition the hard drive and do a clean install. Building a
            new version on an old one is never very tidy.

            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 29, 2008
              Elek,

              I thought so...and someone did that for me about three weeks ago after my PC
              crash. No Vista for me at the moment, no reformatting and fresh start - I
              would crash, not my PC.

              I'd forgottem you were on this list, Elek. Good to see you here.

              Dennis

              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 29, 2008
                Dennis,

                Elek and I have not melded : - )

                Though I’m sure he would have said the same ; -)

                <mailto:gavin.dudeney%40theconsultants-e.com> > wrote:

                > Dennis,
                >

                > I don't really know because I bought my last laptop with Vista installed.
                > Usually you get an option to upgrade from previous versions of Windows to
                > the latest - but I would never do that. The first thing I would o would be
                > to format and partition the hard drive and do a clean install. Building a
                > new version on an old one is never very tidy.
                >

                > Gavin
                >

                > Gavin Dudeney - Project Director, The Consultants-E
                >
                > c/ Ceramica 54, 08035 Barcelona, Spain
                >
                > Tel: +34 93 427 4240 | +44 20 7193 0770
                >
                > <http://www.theconsultants-e.com/> http://www.theconsultants-e.com
                >

                > Winners of a 2007 British Council ELTON award - <
                > http://tinyurl.com/3e2c54>
                > http://tinyurl.com/3e2c54
                >
                > Owners of the Second Life EduNation sims - <http://tinyurl.com/34l8mw>
                > http://tinyurl.com/34l8mw
                >
                > Sponsors of the UK Moodle Conference - <http://www.moodlemoot.org/>
                > http://www.moodlemoot.org
                >

                > CONFIDENTIALITY AND DISCLAIMER NOTICE
                >
                > This email and any attachments are private and confidential. It is
                > intended
                > for the recipient only. If you are not the intended recipient, any use,
                > disclosure, distribution, printing or copying of this email is
                > unauthorised.
                > You may not read, use or take any action in reliance on it. If you have
                > received this email in error please notify the sender immediately by
                > replying to this email and permanently delete the email from your
                > computer.
                > The contents of any attachments to this e-mail may contain software
                > viruses
                > which could damage your own computer system. While we have taken every
                > reasonable precaution to minimise this risk, we cannot accept liability
                > for
                > any damage which you sustain as a result of software viruses. You should
                > carry out your own virus checks before opening any attachments.
                >

                > From: evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com
                <mailto:evonline2002_webheads%40yahoogroups.com>

                --
                Dennis Newson (retired)
                University of Osnabrück
                GERMANY
                Webhead,
                Discussion Moderator IATEFL YL SIG
                Moderator of a number of other TEFL e-lists

              • Thomas N. Robb
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 29, 2008
                  Dennis (and all),

                  You said that the gmail search sometimes fails you. That surprises me
                  because I find that the only time it fails for me is when my memory has
                  failed!

                  I find that the best way to pull up something quickly is NOT to put in the
                  person's e-mail address, but rather input a couple words that you KNOW MUST
                  be in the message you are looking for, and that means not only nouns but a
                  verb, adjective, date, a number, etc. whatever would be relatively unique to
                  that message. Often just the name of the other person (in the style that
                  they normally sign their messages, and one or two words concerning topic is
                  sufficient.

                  The only time I use the "Advance search" is when 1) I want to specify that
                  the message has an attachment, or 2) a have a feeling that I might have
                  missed the message completely because it found its way into the spam box.

                  I hope this helps relieve your frustration!

                  (One aside. Gmail now has an inline spelling checker, but it flagged
                  "gmail" on the first line as misspelled. :-)

                  Cheers,
                  Tom

                  --

                  ** Thomas N. Robb, Ph.D., Kyoto Sangyo University, Japan **
                  ** <trobb@...-su.ac.jp> **

                • Dennis Newson
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 29, 2008
                    Crista, Thomas, Gavin/Elek Elek/Gavin,

                    Thanks greatly for answering.

                    One of my frustrations, Tom, is when I know - really know - that a certain
                    person has written to me and no search brings them up. (And that is when I
                    miss the fact that I cannot just look through all the messages in the
                    archive to see what is there).

                    Something happens regularly, as I send is that I get a message saying that
                    the current message belongs to a trashed thread (perhaps the word thread is
                    not used) and will not be listed unless it is removed from trash. Now, if it
                    is a message that is inititiating a thread, how can it belong to a trashed
                    thread?

                    I'm not asking to answer, just illustrating an irritating quirk in (for
                    Tom's spell checker) Google mail.