Ipod touch

  • Luciana Diniz
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 26, 2008
      Hi everybody,

      I'm not an active member in the group, but I always read the postings and
      always find the information you share really helpful.

      I have a question and I was wondering if somebody from the group has any
      experience with this. My department bought an IPod Touch and asked me to
      take a look at it and see how teachers may make use of it in their
      classrooms. Currently, only a few classrooms in our college have podiums, so
      they are wondering if the IPod would be a short-term solution while we wait
      for the computers to be bought and installed in each classroom.

      Has anybody used it before? Do you know if there is a way to connect the
      Ipod to a projector (or a TV)? If yes, would I have to convert my power
      point presentations into videos? What about sound files? Would students be
      able to listen to those?

      Thank you so much for your help!
      Luciana.

    • Michael Marzio
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 27, 2008
        Hi Luciana,

        I got an iPod Touch for Christmas. It's great for music, podcasts,
        and audio books, but so-so for all of its other functions.

        The video is small of course (480 x 320), and, to answer your
        question, there is no way to connect a video projector to it. You can
        buy videos, or convert your own videos for it using free software.
        You can also watch YouTube video. But project images or video for
        students... No.

        Surfing is doable. The wifi connection is good and stable, but the
        small size of the screen and the tiny virtual keyboard makes surfing
        the web a bit of a challenge.

        It's overpriced, generally limited, and kinda gimmicky.

        I don't think it has any real use in the classroom outside of the
        possibility of hooking up amplified speakers using the headset
        output...

        Best wishes
        Mike Marzio
        real-english.com

        >(snip). My department bought an IPod Touch and asked me to
        > take a look at it and see how teachers may make use of it in their
        > classrooms. Currently, only a few classrooms in our college have
        podiums, so
        > they are wondering if the IPod would be a short-term solution while
        we wait
        > for the computers to be bought and installed in each classroom.
        >
        > Has anybody used it before? Do you know if there is a way to
        connect the
        > Ipod to a projector (or a TV)? If yes, would I have to convert my
        power
        > point presentations into videos? What about sound files? Would
        students be
        > able to listen to those?
        >
        > Thank you so much for your help!
        > Luciana.

      • Seth Dickens
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 28, 2008
          Hi Luciana and Mike,

          Although I must admit I share Mike's views on the iPod touch being
          gimmicky and overpriced, I was surprised to hear that you can't
          connect it to a projector.

          I have a two year old iPod video, which I can connect to a projector
          by using a cable that converts the headphone socket to a 3 video and
          audio plugs. It's the same sort of cable that you use to connect a
          video camcorder to a tv / hifi. If you don't have one Amazon have them
          for �3.50
          http://www.amazon.co.uk/Video-Photo-Phono-Connection-Cable/dp/B000Q8FKWO
          Try it out Mike, I'd be interested to know if they've taken out the
          video output :-)

          At the end of the day, I'd still choose to get 1 cheap laptop for my
          school instead of three or four iPod touches, it'd be far more
          versatile and probably have a longer life too.

          Seth

          --
          Seth Dickens

          Thoughts on ICT in Language Education:
          http://sethdickens.blogspot.com

        • Michael Marzio
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 28, 2008
            Hi Seth,

            I stand corrected. After reading your post, I also found this site:
            http://tinyurl.com/2k9nzh

            It looks like the iPod touch will cover all your classroom needs, Luciana.

            Mike

            PS: our Y!Group site seems to be down, so this is the first time I'm NOT posting from evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com site.

            Mike

            --

[...]