Re: Favourite Grammar Sites?

  • Dennis Oliver
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 3, 2008
      Hi, Michael--and everyone.

      --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com (message #17540), you
      wrote in part:

      Hi everyone.

      I'm doing a presentation next week at a conference where Grammar will
      be the subject of a lot of attention. My presentation will have little
      to do with grammar, but I figure they might be expecting me to provide
      some tips about good grammar sites for ESL/EFL learners.

      8< - - - snip - - - >8

      I would like to put together a list of 5 or so so if you have one that
      you use and would recommend can you send me the URL?

      8< - - - snip - - - >8

      Here are some good sites that haven't been mentioned so far:

      330 Grammar Topics (University of Victoria, Canada)
      http://web2.uvcs.uvic.ca/elc/studyzone/330/grammar/index.htm

      Allan Quesada: Net Grammar
      http://netgrammar.altec.org/

      John McVicker: Grammar for English Language Learners
      http://cscwww.cats.ohiou.edu/esl/english/grammar/

      Ann Salzmann: Grammar Points
      http://tinyurl.com/yv6u6j

      Charles Darling: Guide to Grammar and Writing (index)
      http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/index2.htm

      Daniel Kies: Modern English Grammar
      http://papyr.com/hypertextbooks/grammar/

      University College, London: The Internet Grammar of English (index)
      http://www.ucl.ac.uk/internet-grammar/index/index.htm

      Those who like the Purdue University OWL (I do!) might also be
      interested in taking a look at the International Writing Centers
      Association site:

      http://www.writingcenters.org/

      Within this site, see especially

      "Resources for Writers"
      http://www.writingcenters.org/writers.htm

      "Links to Writing Centers Online"
      http://www.writingcenters.org/owcdb/index.php

      I hope these additional links are useful.

      Best wishes--

      Dennis in Phoenix
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 3, 2008
        Thanks Dennis, I particularly like the way you ask a question but then
        divulge what you know already. So helpful.

        I've taken what you know and added it to what I know.

        If you find I've got any bad links from years back, let me know.

        http://www.vancestevens.com/grammar.htm

        > I'm doing a presentation next week at a conference where Grammar will
        > be the subject of a lot of attention. My presentation will have little
        > to do with grammar, but I figure they might be expecting me to provide
        > some tips about good grammar sites for ESL/EFL learners.

      • Jane Petring
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 4, 2008
          I don´t think anyone has mentioned ESL Blues yet:
          http://ww2.college-em.qc.ca/prof/epritchard/

          Jane

        • Dennis Oliver
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 4, 2008
            Marhaba, Vance.

            In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com (message #17560), you wrote:

            Thanks Dennis, I particularly like the way you ask a question but then
            divulge what you know already. So helpful.

            -----> Actually, the question was Michael's original subject
            information. I've read all the other suggested links, and when I
            compared them with what I have linked on one of my Web pages, I saw that
            some good sites were missing. You have some of them on your
            vancestevens.com site, by the way.

            I've taken what you know and added it to what I know.

            If you find I've got any bad links from years back, let me know.

            http://www.vancestevens.com/grammar.htm

            Vance

            -----> I've found that there are problems with a number of items from
            your vancestevens.com grammar page: the links are either dead or have
            been changed.

            Dolors Permanyer's Grammar Links Page

            You have a typo here: *grammer. Also, most of the links on this page are
            dead or incorrect.

            Mark Sellers' Grammar Links Page

            This "comprehensive grammar links page" is not comprehensive, and about
            75% of his links are either dead or have been changed. Also, a number of
            links are repeated.

            LinguaCenter's Grammar Safari

            The link has been changed to
            http://www.iei.uiuc.edu/student_grammarsafari.html .

            CNN Newsroom Grammar Activities

            This link is still accessible, but it leads to a 404 ("Page Not Found")
            message.

            Charles Kelly's Self-Study Quizzes for ESL Students

            Here's a better link: http://a4esl.org/ .

            Guide to Grammar and Writing

            This link has been changed to http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/ .

            Grammar Help by Ruth Vilmi

            This page has been removed from the HUT server. Ruth has her own site,
            and it has a grammar resources section, but the resources at Ruth's site
            are different from her Help
            Pages.http://www.writeit.fi/ruth/writeit-resources-grammar/

            Phrasal Verb Drink Dispenser

            The correct ink is http://www.stuff.co.uk/phrasal2.htm .

            I hope the above is useful.

            All the best--

            Dennis in Phoenix

            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 4, 2008
              Marhabatain ya Dennis,

              I was waiting for you to call me on that one. Your post was first up when I
              woke up this morning. Only later did I realize that there were a LOT of
              earlier messages on the same topic.

              No matter, it's given me an excuse to update
              http://www.vancestevens.com/grammar.htm

              Working on it, taking on input from all those OTHER messages now.

              AND yours of course ... many corrections have just been made.

              Thanks very much for taking the time to contribute.

              :-)