Re: [evonline2002_webheads] Favourite Grammar Sites?

  • Aiden Yeh
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 2, 2008
      Michael,

      I'd like to add BBC Learning English website. For Grammar, the link is http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/learningenglish/grammar/index.shtml

      It's a fab. site.

      Aiden

      Barbara Dieu <beeonline@...> wrote:
      Hi Michael.
      Here are some I have used.
      http://eleaston.com/grammar.html
      http://www.edict.com.hk/vlc/
      http://a4esl.org/
      http://english-zone.com/index.php?ID=1

      Warm regards,
      Bee

      --
      Barbara Dieu
      http://dekita.org
      http://beewebhead.net

    • Dennis Oliver
      Message 3 of 12 , Jan 3, 2008
        Hi, Michael--and everyone.

        --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com (message #17540), you
        wrote in part:

        Hi everyone.

        I'm doing a presentation next week at a conference where Grammar will
        be the subject of a lot of attention. My presentation will have little
        to do with grammar, but I figure they might be expecting me to provide
        some tips about good grammar sites for ESL/EFL learners.

        8< - - - snip - - - >8

        I would like to put together a list of 5 or so so if you have one that
        you use and would recommend can you send me the URL?

        8< - - - snip - - - >8

        Here are some good sites that haven't been mentioned so far:

        330 Grammar Topics (University of Victoria, Canada)
        http://web2.uvcs.uvic.ca/elc/studyzone/330/grammar/index.htm

        Allan Quesada: Net Grammar
        http://netgrammar.altec.org/

        John McVicker: Grammar for English Language Learners
        http://cscwww.cats.ohiou.edu/esl/english/grammar/

        Ann Salzmann: Grammar Points
        http://tinyurl.com/yv6u6j

        Charles Darling: Guide to Grammar and Writing (index)
        http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/index2.htm

        Daniel Kies: Modern English Grammar
        http://papyr.com/hypertextbooks/grammar/

        University College, London: The Internet Grammar of English (index)
        http://www.ucl.ac.uk/internet-grammar/index/index.htm

        Those who like the Purdue University OWL (I do!) might also be
        interested in taking a look at the International Writing Centers
        Association site:

        http://www.writingcenters.org/

        Within this site, see especially

        "Resources for Writers"
        http://www.writingcenters.org/writers.htm

        "Links to Writing Centers Online"
        http://www.writingcenters.org/owcdb/index.php

        I hope these additional links are useful.

        Best wishes--

        Dennis in Phoenix
        Message 4 of 12 , Jan 3, 2008
          Thanks Dennis, I particularly like the way you ask a question but then
          divulge what you know already. So helpful.

          I've taken what you know and added it to what I know.

          If you find I've got any bad links from years back, let me know.

          http://www.vancestevens.com/grammar.htm

          > I'm doing a presentation next week at a conference where Grammar will
          > be the subject of a lot of attention. My presentation will have little
          > to do with grammar, but I figure they might be expecting me to provide
          > some tips about good grammar sites for ESL/EFL learners.

        • Jane Petring
          Message 5 of 12 , Jan 4, 2008
            I don´t think anyone has mentioned ESL Blues yet:
            http://ww2.college-em.qc.ca/prof/epritchard/

            Jane

          • Dennis Oliver
            Message 6 of 12 , Jan 4, 2008
              Marhaba, Vance.

              In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com (message #17560), you wrote:

              Thanks Dennis, I particularly like the way you ask a question but then
              divulge what you know already. So helpful.

              -----> Actually, the question was Michael's original subject
              information. I've read all the other suggested links, and when I
              compared them with what I have linked on one of my Web pages, I saw that
              some good sites were missing. You have some of them on your
              vancestevens.com site, by the way.

              I've taken what you know and added it to what I know.

              If you find I've got any bad links from years back, let me know.

              http://www.vancestevens.com/grammar.htm

              Vance

              -----> I've found that there are problems with a number of items from
              your vancestevens.com grammar page: the links are either dead or have
              been changed.

              Dolors Permanyer's Grammar Links Page

              You have a typo here: *grammer. Also, most of the links on this page are
              dead or incorrect.

              Mark Sellers' Grammar Links Page

              This "comprehensive grammar links page" is not comprehensive, and about
              75% of his links are either dead or have been changed. Also, a number of
              links are repeated.

              LinguaCenter's Grammar Safari

              The link has been changed to
              http://www.iei.uiuc.edu/student_grammarsafari.html .

              CNN Newsroom Grammar Activities

              This link is still accessible, but it leads to a 404 ("Page Not Found")
              message.

              Charles Kelly's Self-Study Quizzes for ESL Students

              Here's a better link: http://a4esl.org/ .

              Guide to Grammar and Writing

              This link has been changed to http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/ .

              Grammar Help by Ruth Vilmi

              This page has been removed from the HUT server. Ruth has her own site,
              and it has a grammar resources section, but the resources at Ruth's site
              are different from her Help
              Pages.http://www.writeit.fi/ruth/writeit-resources-grammar/

              Phrasal Verb Drink Dispenser

              The correct ink is http://www.stuff.co.uk/phrasal2.htm .

              I hope the above is useful.

              All the best--

              Dennis in Phoenix

              Message 7 of 12 , Jan 4, 2008
                Marhabatain ya Dennis,

                I was waiting for you to call me on that one. Your post was first up when I
                woke up this morning. Only later did I realize that there were a LOT of
                earlier messages on the same topic.

                No matter, it's given me an excuse to update
                http://www.vancestevens.com/grammar.htm

                Working on it, taking on input from all those OTHER messages now.

                AND yours of course ... many corrections have just been made.

                Thanks very much for taking the time to contribute.

                :-)