Re: [evonline2002_webheads] Favourite Grammar Sites?

  • Maria Irene Albers
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 2, 2008
      Dear Mike,

      I've used the content in http://www.englishpage.com/index.html, and my students (college, high intermediate level) find it very useful. Also the grammar handouts and writing lab in OWL, Purdue University as Bee indicated.
      Happy New Year,
      María Irene
      Valencia, Venezuela

      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 2, 2008
        Michael,

        I'd like to add BBC Learning English website. For Grammar, the link is http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/learningenglish/grammar/index.shtml

        It's a fab. site.

        Aiden

        Barbara Dieu <beeonline@...> wrote:
        Hi Michael.
        Here are some I have used.
        http://eleaston.com/grammar.html
        http://www.edict.com.hk/vlc/
        http://a4esl.org/
        http://english-zone.com/index.php?ID=1

        Warm regards,
        Bee

        --
        Barbara Dieu
        http://dekita.org

      • Dennis Oliver
        Message 4 of 12 , Jan 3, 2008
          Hi, Michael--and everyone.

          --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com (message #17540), you
          wrote in part:

          Hi everyone.

          I'm doing a presentation next week at a conference where Grammar will
          be the subject of a lot of attention. My presentation will have little
          to do with grammar, but I figure they might be expecting me to provide
          some tips about good grammar sites for ESL/EFL learners.

          8< - - - snip - - - >8

          I would like to put together a list of 5 or so so if you have one that
          you use and would recommend can you send me the URL?

          8< - - - snip - - - >8

          Here are some good sites that haven't been mentioned so far:

          330 Grammar Topics (University of Victoria, Canada)
          http://web2.uvcs.uvic.ca/elc/studyzone/330/grammar/index.htm

          Allan Quesada: Net Grammar
          http://netgrammar.altec.org/

          John McVicker: Grammar for English Language Learners
          http://cscwww.cats.ohiou.edu/esl/english/grammar/

          Ann Salzmann: Grammar Points
          http://tinyurl.com/yv6u6j

          Charles Darling: Guide to Grammar and Writing (index)
          http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/index2.htm

          Daniel Kies: Modern English Grammar
          http://papyr.com/hypertextbooks/grammar/

          University College, London: The Internet Grammar of English (index)
          http://www.ucl.ac.uk/internet-grammar/index/index.htm

          Those who like the Purdue University OWL (I do!) might also be
          interested in taking a look at the International Writing Centers
          Association site:

          http://www.writingcenters.org/

          Within this site, see especially

          "Resources for Writers"
          http://www.writingcenters.org/writers.htm

          "Links to Writing Centers Online"
          http://www.writingcenters.org/owcdb/index.php

          I hope these additional links are useful.

          Best wishes--

          Dennis in Phoenix
          Message 5 of 12 , Jan 3, 2008
            Thanks Dennis, I particularly like the way you ask a question but then
            divulge what you know already. So helpful.

            I've taken what you know and added it to what I know.

            If you find I've got any bad links from years back, let me know.

            http://www.vancestevens.com/grammar.htm

            > I'm doing a presentation next week at a conference where Grammar will
            > be the subject of a lot of attention. My presentation will have little
            > to do with grammar, but I figure they might be expecting me to provide
            > some tips about good grammar sites for ESL/EFL learners.

          • Jane Petring
            Message 6 of 12 , Jan 4, 2008
              I don´t think anyone has mentioned ESL Blues yet:
              http://ww2.college-em.qc.ca/prof/epritchard/

              Jane

            • Dennis Oliver
              Message 7 of 12 , Jan 4, 2008
                Marhaba, Vance.

                In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com (message #17560), you wrote:

                Thanks Dennis, I particularly like the way you ask a question but then
                divulge what you know already. So helpful.

                -----> Actually, the question was Michael's original subject
                information. I've read all the other suggested links, and when I
                compared them with what I have linked on one of my Web pages, I saw that
                some good sites were missing. You have some of them on your
                vancestevens.com site, by the way.

                I've taken what you know and added it to what I know.

                If you find I've got any bad links from years back, let me know.

                http://www.vancestevens.com/grammar.htm

                Vance

                -----> I've found that there are problems with a number of items from
                your vancestevens.com grammar page: the links are either dead or have
                been changed.

                Dolors Permanyer's Grammar Links Page

                You have a typo here: *grammer. Also, most of the links on this page are
                dead or incorrect.

                Mark Sellers' Grammar Links Page

                This "comprehensive grammar links page" is not comprehensive, and about
                75% of his links are either dead or have been changed. Also, a number of
                links are repeated.

                LinguaCenter's Grammar Safari

                The link has been changed to
                http://www.iei.uiuc.edu/student_grammarsafari.html .

                CNN Newsroom Grammar Activities

                This link is still accessible, but it leads to a 404 ("Page Not Found")
                message.

                Charles Kelly's Self-Study Quizzes for ESL Students

                Here's a better link: http://a4esl.org/ .

                Guide to Grammar and Writing

                This link has been changed to http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/ .

                Grammar Help by Ruth Vilmi

                This page has been removed from the HUT server. Ruth has her own site,
                and it has a grammar resources section, but the resources at Ruth's site
                are different from her Help
                Pages.http://www.writeit.fi/ruth/writeit-resources-grammar/

                Phrasal Verb Drink Dispenser

                The correct ink is http://www.stuff.co.uk/phrasal2.htm .

                I hope the above is useful.

                All the best--

                Dennis in Phoenix

                Message 8 of 12 , Jan 4, 2008
                  Marhabatain ya Dennis,

                  I was waiting for you to call me on that one. Your post was first up when I
                  woke up this morning. Only later did I realize that there were a LOT of
                  earlier messages on the same topic.

                  No matter, it's given me an excuse to update
                  http://www.vancestevens.com/grammar.htm

                  Working on it, taking on input from all those OTHER messages now.

                  AND yours of course ... many corrections have just been made.

                  Thanks very much for taking the time to contribute.

                  :-)