Re: [evonline2002_webheads] Favourite Grammar Sites?

  • Barbara Dieu
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 2, 2008
      Hi Michael.
      Here are some I have used.
      http://eleaston.com/grammar.html
      http://www.edict.com.hk/vlc/
      http://a4esl.org/
      http://english-zone.com/index.php?ID=1

      Warm regards,
      Bee

      --
      Barbara Dieu
      http://dekita.org
      http://beewebhead.net

    • Dennis Newson
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 2, 2008
        I'd second Ibrahim's OWL, Purdue recommendation. For students that persisted
        in claiming such sites would help them, I recommended OWL Purdue for about
        20 years, if not longer.

        Dennis aka Denos

      • Maria Irene Albers
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 2, 2008
          Dear Mike,

          I've used the content in http://www.englishpage.com/index.html, and my students (college, high intermediate level) find it very useful. Also the grammar handouts and writing lab in OWL, Purdue University as Bee indicated.
          Happy New Year,
          María Irene
          Valencia, Venezuela

          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 2, 2008
            Michael,

            I'd like to add BBC Learning English website. For Grammar, the link is http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/learningenglish/grammar/index.shtml

            It's a fab. site.

            Aiden

            Barbara Dieu <beeonline@...> wrote:
            Hi Michael.
            Here are some I have used.
            http://eleaston.com/grammar.html
            http://www.edict.com.hk/vlc/
            http://a4esl.org/
            http://english-zone.com/index.php?ID=1

            Warm regards,
            Bee

            --
            Barbara Dieu
            http://dekita.org
            http://beewebhead.net

          • Dennis Oliver
            Message 6 of 12 , Jan 3, 2008
              Hi, Michael--and everyone.

              --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com (message #17540), you
              wrote in part:

              Hi everyone.

              I'm doing a presentation next week at a conference where Grammar will
              be the subject of a lot of attention. My presentation will have little
              to do with grammar, but I figure they might be expecting me to provide
              some tips about good grammar sites for ESL/EFL learners.

              8< - - - snip - - - >8

              I would like to put together a list of 5 or so so if you have one that
              you use and would recommend can you send me the URL?

              8< - - - snip - - - >8

              Here are some good sites that haven't been mentioned so far:

              330 Grammar Topics (University of Victoria, Canada)
              http://web2.uvcs.uvic.ca/elc/studyzone/330/grammar/index.htm

              Allan Quesada: Net Grammar
              http://netgrammar.altec.org/

              John McVicker: Grammar for English Language Learners
              http://cscwww.cats.ohiou.edu/esl/english/grammar/

              Ann Salzmann: Grammar Points
              http://tinyurl.com/yv6u6j

              Charles Darling: Guide to Grammar and Writing (index)
              http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/index2.htm

              Daniel Kies: Modern English Grammar
              http://papyr.com/hypertextbooks/grammar/

              University College, London: The Internet Grammar of English (index)
              http://www.ucl.ac.uk/internet-grammar/index/index.htm

              Those who like the Purdue University OWL (I do!) might also be
              interested in taking a look at the International Writing Centers
              Association site:

              http://www.writingcenters.org/

              Within this site, see especially

              "Resources for Writers"
              http://www.writingcenters.org/writers.htm

              "Links to Writing Centers Online"
              http://www.writingcenters.org/owcdb/index.php

              I hope these additional links are useful.

              Best wishes--

              Dennis in Phoenix
              Message 7 of 12 , Jan 3, 2008
                Thanks Dennis, I particularly like the way you ask a question but then
                divulge what you know already. So helpful.

                I've taken what you know and added it to what I know.

                If you find I've got any bad links from years back, let me know.

                http://www.vancestevens.com/grammar.htm

                > I'm doing a presentation next week at a conference where Grammar will
                > be the subject of a lot of attention. My presentation will have little
                > to do with grammar, but I figure they might be expecting me to provide
                > some tips about good grammar sites for ESL/EFL learners.

              • Jane Petring
                Message 8 of 12 , Jan 4, 2008
                  I don´t think anyone has mentioned ESL Blues yet:
                  http://ww2.college-em.qc.ca/prof/epritchard/

                  Jane

                • Dennis Oliver
                  Message 9 of 12 , Jan 4, 2008
                    Marhaba, Vance.

                    In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com (message #17560), you wrote:

                    Thanks Dennis, I particularly like the way you ask a question but then
                    divulge what you know already. So helpful.

                    -----> Actually, the question was Michael's original subject
                    information. I've read all the other suggested links, and when I
                    compared them with what I have linked on one of my Web pages, I saw that
                    some good sites were missing. You have some of them on your
                    vancestevens.com site, by the way.

                    I've taken what you know and added it to what I know.

                    If you find I've got any bad links from years back, let me know.

                    http://www.vancestevens.com/grammar.htm

                    Vance

                    -----> I've found that there are problems with a number of items from
                    your vancestevens.com grammar page: the links are either dead or have
                    been changed.

                    Dolors Permanyer's Grammar Links Page

                    You have a typo here: *grammer. Also, most of the links on this page are
                    dead or incorrect.

                    Mark Sellers' Grammar Links Page

                    This "comprehensive grammar links page" is not comprehensive, and about
                    75% of his links are either dead or have been changed. Also, a number of
                    links are repeated.

                    LinguaCenter's Grammar Safari

                    The link has been changed to
                    http://www.iei.uiuc.edu/student_grammarsafari.html .

                    CNN Newsroom Grammar Activities

                    This link is still accessible, but it leads to a 404 ("Page Not Found")
                    message.

                    Charles Kelly's Self-Study Quizzes for ESL Students

                    Here's a better link: http://a4esl.org/ .

                    Guide to Grammar and Writing

                    This link has been changed to http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/ .

                    Grammar Help by Ruth Vilmi

                    This page has been removed from the HUT server. Ruth has her own site,
                    and it has a grammar resources section, but the resources at Ruth's site
                    are different from her Help
                    Pages.http://www.writeit.fi/ruth/writeit-resources-grammar/

                    Phrasal Verb Drink Dispenser

                    The correct ink is http://www.stuff.co.uk/phrasal2.htm .

                    I hope the above is useful.

                    All the best--

                    Dennis in Phoenix

                    Message 10 of 12 , Jan 4, 2008
                      Marhabatain ya Dennis,

                      I was waiting for you to call me on that one. Your post was first up when I
                      woke up this morning. Only later did I realize that there were a LOT of
                      earlier messages on the same topic.

                      No matter, it's given me an excuse to update
                      http://www.vancestevens.com/grammar.htm

                      Working on it, taking on input from all those OTHER messages now.

                      AND yours of course ... many corrections have just been made.

                      Thanks very much for taking the time to contribute.

                      :-)