Favourite Grammar Sites?

  • Michael Coghlan
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 2, 2008
      Hi everyone.

      I'm doing a presentation next week at a conference where Grammar will
      be the subject of a lot of attention. My presentation will have
      little to do with grammar, but I figure they might be expecting me to
      provide some tips about good grammar sites for ESL/EFL learners.

      I know there are thousands of them, and I've checked Larry Ferlazzo's
      recent best of lists but there's no 'best grammar sites' category.
      That may be because it would depend on what kind of students you
      teach - age, language level, vocational goals, etc; However, I would
      like to put together a list of 5 or so so if you have one that you
      use and would recommend can you send me the URL?

      Cheers,

      - Michael.
    • Ibrahim Rustamov
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 2, 2008
        Salam Michael,

        here is my favorite grammar site
        http://owl.english.purdue.edu/handouts/grammar
        In general, http://owl.english.purdue.edu is a good place for ESL/EFL
        learners.

        Hope you will find it helpful

        Ibrahim
        Dushanbe - Tajikistan

        Michael Coghlan wrote:

        > Hi everyone.
        >
        > I'm doing a presentation next week at a conference where Grammar will
        > be the subject of a lot of attention. My presentation will have
        > little to do with grammar, but I figure they might be expecting me to
        > provide some tips about good grammar sites for ESL/EFL learners.
        >
        > I know there are thousands of them, and I've checked Larry Ferlazzo's
        > recent best of lists but there's no 'best grammar sites' category.
        > That may be because it would depend on what kind of students you
        > teach - age, language level, vocational goals, etc; However, I would
        > like to put together a list of 5 or so so if you have one that you
        > use and would recommend can you send me the URL?
        >
        > Cheers,
        >
        > - Michael.

      • Barbara Dieu
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 2, 2008
          Hi Michael.
          Here are some I have used.
          http://eleaston.com/grammar.html
          http://www.edict.com.hk/vlc/
          http://a4esl.org/
          http://english-zone.com/index.php?ID=1

          Warm regards,
          Bee

          --
          Barbara Dieu
          http://dekita.org

        • Dennis Newson
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 2, 2008
            I'd second Ibrahim's OWL, Purdue recommendation. For students that persisted
            in claiming such sites would help them, I recommended OWL Purdue for about
            20 years, if not longer.

            Dennis aka Denos

          • Maria Irene Albers
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 2, 2008
              Dear Mike,

              I've used the content in http://www.englishpage.com/index.html, and my students (college, high intermediate level) find it very useful. Also the grammar handouts and writing lab in OWL, Purdue University as Bee indicated.
              Happy New Year,
              María Irene
              Valencia, Venezuela

              I'm doing a presentation next week at a conference where Grammar will

              be the subject of a lot of attention. My presentation will have

              little to do with grammar, but I figure they might be expecting me to

              provide some tips about good grammar sites for ESL/EFL learners.

              I know there are thousands of them, and I've checked Larry Ferlazzo's

              recent best of lists but there's no 'best grammar sites' category.

              That may be because it would depend on what kind of students you

              teach - age, language level, vocational goals, etc; However, I would

              like to put together a list of 5 or so so if you have one that you

              use and would recommend can you send me the URL?

              Cheers,

              - Michael.

              <!--

              #ygrp-mkp{
              #ygrp-mkp hr{
              border:1px solid #d8d8d8;}
              #ygrp-mkp #hd{
              #ygrp-mkp #ads{
              margin-bottom:10px;}
              #ygrp-mkp .ad{
              padding:0 0;}
              #ygrp-mkp .ad a{
              color:#0000ff;text-decoration:none;}
              -->

              <!--

              #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc{
              font-family:Arial;}
              #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc #hd{
              #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc .ad{
              margin-bottom:10px;padding:0 0;}
              -->

              <!--

              #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}
              #ygrp-text{
              font-family:Georgia;
              }
              #ygrp-text p{
              margin:0 0 1em 0;}
              #ygrp-tpmsgs{
              font-family:Arial;
              clear:both;}
              #ygrp-vitnav{
              #ygrp-vitnav a{
              padding:0 1px;}
              #ygrp-actbar{
              #ygrp-actbar .left{
              float:left;white-space:nowrap;}
              .bld{font-weight:bold;}
              #ygrp-grft{
              #ygrp-ft{
              padding:5px 0;
              }
              #ygrp-mlmsg #logo{
              padding-bottom:10px;}

              #ygrp-vital{
              #ygrp-vital #vithd{
              #ygrp-vital ul{
              padding:0;margin:2px 0;}
              #ygrp-vital ul li{
              }
              #ygrp-vital ul li .ct{
              #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{
              font-weight:bold;}
              #ygrp-vital a{
              text-decoration:none;}

              #ygrp-vital a:hover{
              text-decoration:underline;}

              #ygrp-sponsor #hd{
              color:#999;font-size:77%;}
              #ygrp-sponsor #ov{
              #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{
              padding:0 0 0 8px;margin:0;}
              #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{
              #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{
              text-decoration:none;font-size:130%;}
              #ygrp-sponsor #nc{
              #ygrp-sponsor .ad{
              padding:8px 0;}
              #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{
              #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{
              text-decoration:none;}
              #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{
              text-decoration:underline;}
              #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{
              margin:0;}
              o{font-size:0;}
              .MsoNormal{
              margin:0 0 0 0;}
              #ygrp-text tt{
              font-size:120%;}
              blockquote{margin:0 0 0 4px;}
              .replbq{margin:4;}
              -->

            • Aiden Yeh
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 2, 2008
                Michael,

                I'd like to add BBC Learning English website. For Grammar, the link is http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/learningenglish/grammar/index.shtml

                It's a fab. site.

                Aiden

                Barbara Dieu <beeonline@...> wrote:
                Hi Michael.
                Here are some I have used.
                http://eleaston.com/grammar.html
                http://www.edict.com.hk/vlc/
                http://a4esl.org/
                http://english-zone.com/index.php?ID=1

                Warm regards,
                Bee

                --
                Barbara Dieu
                http://dekita.org
                http://beewebhead.net

              • Dennis Oliver
                Message 8 of 12 , Jan 3, 2008
                  Hi, Michael--and everyone.

                  --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com (message #17540), you
                  wrote in part:

                  Hi everyone.

                  I'm doing a presentation next week at a conference where Grammar will
                  be the subject of a lot of attention. My presentation will have little
                  to do with grammar, but I figure they might be expecting me to provide
                  some tips about good grammar sites for ESL/EFL learners.

                  8< - - - snip - - - >8

                  I would like to put together a list of 5 or so so if you have one that
                  you use and would recommend can you send me the URL?

                  8< - - - snip - - - >8

                  Here are some good sites that haven't been mentioned so far:

                  330 Grammar Topics (University of Victoria, Canada)
                  http://web2.uvcs.uvic.ca/elc/studyzone/330/grammar/index.htm

                  Allan Quesada: Net Grammar
                  http://netgrammar.altec.org/

                  John McVicker: Grammar for English Language Learners
                  http://cscwww.cats.ohiou.edu/esl/english/grammar/

                  Ann Salzmann: Grammar Points
                  http://tinyurl.com/yv6u6j

                  Charles Darling: Guide to Grammar and Writing (index)
                  http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/index2.htm

                  Daniel Kies: Modern English Grammar
                  http://papyr.com/hypertextbooks/grammar/

                  University College, London: The Internet Grammar of English (index)
                  http://www.ucl.ac.uk/internet-grammar/index/index.htm

                  Those who like the Purdue University OWL (I do!) might also be
                  interested in taking a look at the International Writing Centers
                  Association site:

                  http://www.writingcenters.org/

                  Within this site, see especially

                  "Resources for Writers"
                  http://www.writingcenters.org/writers.htm

                  "Links to Writing Centers Online"
                  http://www.writingcenters.org/owcdb/index.php

                  I hope these additional links are useful.

                  Best wishes--

                  Dennis in Phoenix
                  Message 9 of 12 , Jan 3, 2008
                    Thanks Dennis, I particularly like the way you ask a question but then
                    divulge what you know already. So helpful.

                    I've taken what you know and added it to what I know.

                    If you find I've got any bad links from years back, let me know.

                    http://www.vancestevens.com/grammar.htm

                    > I'm doing a presentation next week at a conference where Grammar will
                    > be the subject of a lot of attention. My presentation will have little
                    > to do with grammar, but I figure they might be expecting me to provide
                    > some tips about good grammar sites for ESL/EFL learners.

                  • Jane Petring
                    Message 10 of 12 , Jan 4, 2008
                      I don´t think anyone has mentioned ESL Blues yet:
                      http://ww2.college-em.qc.ca/prof/epritchard/

                      Jane

                    • Dennis Oliver
                      Message 11 of 12 , Jan 4, 2008
                        Marhaba, Vance.

                        In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com (message #17560), you wrote:

                        Thanks Dennis, I particularly like the way you ask a question but then
                        divulge what you know already. So helpful.

                        -----> Actually, the question was Michael's original subject
                        information. I've read all the other suggested links, and when I
                        compared them with what I have linked on one of my Web pages, I saw that
                        some good sites were missing. You have some of them on your
                        vancestevens.com site, by the way.

                        I've taken what you know and added it to what I know.

                        If you find I've got any bad links from years back, let me know.

                        http://www.vancestevens.com/grammar.htm

                        Vance

                        -----> I've found that there are problems with a number of items from
                        your vancestevens.com grammar page: the links are either dead or have
                        been changed.

                        Dolors Permanyer's Grammar Links Page

                        You have a typo here: *grammer. Also, most of the links on this page are
                        dead or incorrect.

                        Mark Sellers' Grammar Links Page

                        This "comprehensive grammar links page" is not comprehensive, and about
                        75% of his links are either dead or have been changed. Also, a number of
                        links are repeated.

                        LinguaCenter's Grammar Safari

                        The link has been changed to
                        http://www.iei.uiuc.edu/student_grammarsafari.html .

                        CNN Newsroom Grammar Activities

                        This link is still accessible, but it leads to a 404 ("Page Not Found")
                        message.

                        Charles Kelly's Self-Study Quizzes for ESL Students

                        Here's a better link: http://a4esl.org/ .

                        Guide to Grammar and Writing

                        This link has been changed to http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/ .

                        Grammar Help by Ruth Vilmi

                        This page has been removed from the HUT server. Ruth has her own site,
                        and it has a grammar resources section, but the resources at Ruth's site
                        are different from her Help
                        Pages.http://www.writeit.fi/ruth/writeit-resources-grammar/

                        Phrasal Verb Drink Dispenser

                        The correct ink is http://www.stuff.co.uk/phrasal2.htm .

                        I hope the above is useful.

                        All the best--

                        Dennis in Phoenix

                        Message 12 of 12 , Jan 4, 2008
                          Marhabatain ya Dennis,

                          I was waiting for you to call me on that one. Your post was first up when I
                          woke up this morning. Only later did I realize that there were a LOT of
                          earlier messages on the same topic.

                          No matter, it's given me an excuse to update
                          http://www.vancestevens.com/grammar.htm

                          Working on it, taking on input from all those OTHER messages now.

                          AND yours of course ... many corrections have just been made.

                          Thanks very much for taking the time to contribute.

                          :-)