Free and "Absolute" PC Security (Re: Skype - Cannot update)

  • Michael Marzio
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 1, 2008
      Gavin et al,

      I have to defend the free Avast Anti-Virus software. It's truly robust -
      in fact the same engine that runs Avast also runs the G-Data anti
      virus suite, which is relatively expensive.
      As we already know, it's a very bad idea to try to attempt to install
      two anti-virus programs on a single computer. However, in order to get
      a Second Opinion without uninstalling one's primary anti-virus program,
      there are online security sites which scan your hard disk without
      installing anything. So far, after using Avast for 4 years, these
      online virus scanners have not found anything that Avast has not found.

      The other free security software I use:
      SpyWare Doctor and Norton Security Scan which are part of Google
      Updater. This Norton Security Scan is the "no installation on hard
      disk" type.
      For third opinions in regard to spyware, I also use AdAware 2007 and
      Spybot Search and Destroy - also free and efficient.

      Mike

      --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "Gavin Dudeney"
      <gavin.dudeney@...> wrote:
      (snip)
      > A side note on virus software. For a few years now I have been using
      the
      > free AVG software and been pleased with it. However, I've recently
      read a
      > handful of reports from reliable sources which suggest that it's
      really not
      > that good and that a more robust solution is needed. I switched to
      > BitDefender (got a very good price just before Christmas) and I must
      say I'm
      > very impressed with it.
    • Gavin Dudeney
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 1, 2008
        Mike,

        Avast may well be good, I was referring to AVG, which is a different product
        and has had some pretty bad reviews recently. The only two anti-virus suites
        to get top marks in most internationally certified tests are BitDefender and
        Kaspersky. I usually combine anti-virus with other options such as AdAware,
        SpyBot and others. What seems clear to me is that relying on things like the
        Windows Vista firewall and spyware software is useless.

        I eventually opted for BitDefender due to reviews, awards, the small hit it
        has on my system and the fact that it updates every hour. The Internet
        edition features excellent anti-spyware and rootkit modules as well as a
        superior firewall.

        Mixing two anti-virus suites, as you say, is definitely not a good idea!

        Gavin

        c/ Ceramica 54, 08035 Barcelona, Spain

        Tel: +34 93 427 4240 | +44 20 7193 0770

        <http://www.theconsultants-e.com/> http://www.theconsultants-e.com

        Winners of a 2007 British Council ELTON award - <http://tinyurl.com/3e2c54>
        http://tinyurl.com/3e2c54

        Owners of the Second Life EduNation sims - <http://tinyurl.com/34l8mw>
        http://tinyurl.com/34l8mw

        Sponsors of the UK Moodle Conference - <http://www.moodlemoot.org/>
        http://www.moodlemoot.org

        CONFIDENTIALITY AND DISCLAIMER NOTICE

[...]

        <mailto:evonline2002_webheads%40yahoogroups.com> , "Gavin Dudeney"
        <gavin.dudeney@...> wrote:
        (snip)
        > A side note on virus software. For a few years now I have been using
        the
        > free AVG software and been pleased with it. However, I've recently
        read a
        > handful of reports from reliable sources which suggest that it's
        really not
        > that good and that a more robust solution is needed. I switched to
        > BitDefender (got a very good price just before Christmas) and I must
        say I'm
        > very impressed with it.

      • dnewson2001
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 1, 2008
          Gavin,

          Just read your remarks about my probable need to do a virus scan. I
          use Kaspersky, not cheap, and a bit heavy-handed at times, but (And
          thanks), I'll do what you suggest and see how I get on.

          Dennis